Spyder Garage

Default Towing a Spyder with REAR WHEEL

Found a product that attaches to a 2" receiver into which a swivel contraption attaches which is connected to a platform that houses a 225/50-r15 rear tire. The tire is the secured with yellow strength ratchet straps. The device weighs approximately 75 pounds. It has a detachable ramp as well which it is suggested not to drive up it under power to back up to but rather pull the spyder up the ramp and tie it down. Then one would tie the front tires in the straight position with straps as well. Some are concerned that pulling the Spyder in reverse via the rear tire in the up position ..the windshield would catch air but this can be resolved with 1.removal OR 2. an angled cover toward the rear to lift air up and over. In addition the front end of the spyder would be vulnerable to "bottoming" out. For this issue the platform has adjustable heights to help maximize the height for different vehicles and a bumpskid may be an additional source of help or hindrance depending on your personal take.
    https://motorcycle-rack.com/CanAm_Tow_System.html
    Part # CARWT500
    I'm seeking information that will help me make a decision on the practicality of this device for personal use..
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Found a product that attaches to a 2" receiver into which a swivel contraption attaches which is connected to a platform that houses a 225/50-r15 rear tire. The tire is the secured with yellow strength ratchet straps. The device weighs approximately 75 pounds. It has a detachable ramp as well which it is suggested not to drive up it under power to back up to but rather pull the spyder up the ramp and tie it down. Then one would tie the front tires in the straight position with straps as well. Some are concerned that pulling the Spyder in reverse via the rear tire in the up position ..the windshield would catch air but this can be resolved with 1.removal OR 2. an angled cover toward the rear to lift air up and over. In addition the front end of the spyder would be vulnerable to "bottoming" out. For this issue the platform has adjustable heights to help maximize the height for different vehicles and a bumpskid may be an additional source of help or hindrance depending on your personal take.
    Part # CARWT500
    I'm seeking information that will help me make a decision on the practicality of this device for personal use..

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post

Part # CARWT500
    This device was reported on this site many years ago..... the consensus then was most members wouldn't use it ( me included ).... the possibility ( and probable likelihood ) of Spyder damage is just to high IMHO .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you Mike....I'm still in the research process but don't specifically find any comfort in any towing methods but this seems as good as any. Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Our spyders only have about 4" to 4 1/2" of ground clearance to begin with, hence the popularity of the aftermarket bump skid. Even though the tow system is simple and is adjustable and appears to be a great idea, you'll never increase that 4" to 4 1/2" clearance. You'd only be reducing it using that towing system. Measure your front clearance and then raise your rear tire the same height the tow system would raise it and check the front clearance of your spyder again. I'm just guessing here, but I'd bet you the spyder would drag by just going into a gas station. Not good.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Our spyders only have about 4" to 4 1/2" of ground clearance to begin with, hence the popularity of the aftermarket bump skid. Even though the tow system is simple and is adjustable and appears to be a great idea, you'll never increase that 4" to 4 1/2" clearance. You'd only be reducing it using that towing system. Measure your front clearance and then raise your rear tire the same height the tow system would raise it and check the front clearance of your spyder again. I'm just guessing here, but I'd bet you the spyder would drag by just going into a gas station. Not good.
    X's 5 .... doing this will absolutely convince Himself .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I don't have an RV so I have to ride it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The OEM tires are unidirectional so you would need to change them to car tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    The OEM tires are unidirectional so you would need to change them to car tires.
    Some car tires are unidirectional too.
    Or you could swap sides. while towing in reverse.

Besides the clearance issues mentioned above, what happens when you turn? OK, I looked at the listing and see that there is a pivot, so that should not be much of a problem, but I do question the integrity of that assembly. Does not seem anywhere near substantial enough for me.

I have had experience with similar hitch-mounted devices for other stuff, and have never been impressed with the end result. Most of them only had to do the job once for me. They managed that one job and most were never asked to to a second.

Personally, I would pass on the rear wheel towing system.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I don't have an RV so I have to ride it.
    Me also. If, just if, I had an RV I probably wouldn't have a spyder. But if did, I'd be towing it in an enclosed trailer.

Spyder Garage

I couldn't resist my original post but if I did have a need to tow my Spyder I too would get an enclosed trailer and a Carolina Cadillac large enough to tow it, carbon footprint be damned.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Really appreciate all the input! However, I'm kinda stuck on the idea and think there maybe a way around the clearance issue (IDKhow) and the uni directional issue hasn't swayed me yet.

Spyder Garage

Really appreciate all the input! However, I'm kinda stuck on the idea and think there maybe a way around the clearance issue (IDKhow) and the uni directional issue hasn't swayed me yet.
    I still think this is not a good idea ..... but as far as the Uni or non-uni tire thing goes, that's really a NON issue, it won't matter or effect the towing .... good luck .... Mike ... PS and my advice is coming for an out-of-the-box DIY'er .... I bought a car and cut-it in half three days later .... why ? there was no access to the engine unless the entire body was removed .... I have pics in an Album titled " 917 Porsche " ......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you go with the reverse tow, let us know how it pans out. Enquiring minds would like to know. You could be on to something really good.

Spyder Garage

What everybody else said. The nose of the spyder is pretty damn close to the ground to begin with and picking up the rear tire 6 or 10 inches will shrink that margin down to nothing. Go over a few bumps at speed and you will start slamming that bump skid into the ground. Not to mention what the front wheels will do if they arent centered and secured so they dont try and do their own thing.

BTW, do you know that the whole front of an RT is pretty much held on by two 10mm bolts? Sure, there are other fasteners too, but the main section of the frunk hangs on by two bolts to the main frame. It's not designed to take much abuse.

If you gotta move it, do it with a decent flat bed trailer that is rated for at least 2k lbs and is large enough so you can locate the bike far enough back to keep the tongue weight reasonable.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

The tires being uni-directional is a non-issue, they'll roll either way without any cause for concern; but as for the rest, & that bit I bolded, I wouldn't be stuck on it if I were you! SERIOUSLY!

I've seen a (wrecked) Spyder here in Oz that'd been towed on a device like that, maybe even the same brand - but it really wasn't a pretty sight! . Apparently the frunk didn't completely break off the first time the low end hit something, only it was hidden behind the vehicle & couldn't be clearly seen by the driver, so it flapped around for a while.... . Then some part of it (the frunk) caught in & jammed one of the front wheels, locking it solid. The driver heard & felt that, so immediately started stopping, but in the 100 yds or so it took to stop, the locked front wheel caused the Spyder to skew sideways, tearing the other front wheel & both of those suspension arms off, which dug the stubs into the hardtop & so twisted the entire front end of the Spyder around the (fixed & held tight) rear wheel, turning the swing arms & the main frame into a pretzel, breaking all the tupperware, the seat, shattering the engine/trans block, and basically comprehensively destroying what had been a very nice looking Spyder in the space of a few seconds!

I couldn't find ANYTHING that was worth salvaging! Besides all the twisted & shattered components that were just scrap, even the bolts & fasteners had either been bent, stripped out, or had parts of them ground off. After seeing that carnage, I really wouldn't recommend you even DREAM about towing your Spyder this way - but then again, it's your Spyder, and your risk! .
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-04-2021 at 09:11 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

All very compelling reasonable thought provoking concerns brought to light...I'll keep everyone updated!! Why consider this at all?...wife won't ride far...I DON"T want another larger vehicle that could tow a flatbed or storing said flatbed ( don't ask what the tow vehicle is currently be that'd stir a ruckus as well) Thank you all ...updated thoughts will be posted!!

Spyder Garage

Thank you all ...updated thoughts will be posted!!
    Go for it. End the speculation. We need pics of the result.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Kinda chickened out for this idea for now....

Spyder Garage

All very compelling reasonable thought provoking concerns brought to light...I'll keep everyone updated!! Why consider this at all?...wife won't ride far...I DON"T want another larger vehicle that could tow a flatbed or storing said flatbed ( don't ask what the tow vehicle is currently be that'd stir a ruckus as well) Thank you all ...updated thoughts will be posted!!
    My opinion......forget the RV and get a small toy hauler. We have a large fuzion fifth wheel that we just did a 7800 mile trip with 2 spyders 4 adaults for 7 weeks. I also have a 25’ work and play for weekend trips. Perfect for 2 people 1 spyder. There were days on this last trip we’d run in the morning for 100 miles and then pack up drive 4 hours down the road run spyders that night and stay and run next day too. We had a blast. Put just over 5000 miles on the spyders. Road when we wanted, took the truck when we wanted so happy I don’t have RV. That’s just my opinion. I know others love the RV with built in toyhauler. They make RV with rampin back. Got to make sure the ramp is wide enough.

Another Big issue I see with your hitch.........I saw a Jeep totally destroyed because it slipped into 1st gear. If it’s 2014 or above how do you leave it in neutral? I can tell you on a sled you have to remove the belt to tow. I doesn’t take much to rip a motor apart if towed wrong. Spyder is a pretty small motor. GOOD CHOICE IN NOT USING IT IN MY OPINION!

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Kinda chickened out for this idea for now....
    Discretion is the better part, etc. JMO.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S