Spyder Garage

Cool Must have accessories for Gramps

Just bought a 2010 Spyer RT for my grandfather. Going to surprise him with it next weekend. Was looking for advise on any additional accessories I should & could get/installed within a week. I was thinking the following.

New cover - it will be stored under a carport. Any recommendations on type? Amazon seemed to have a decent option. "UltraGard 4-475BC Black/Charcoal Can-Am Spyder Cover"

Running boards, currently has just the pegs. He's 83 and want to find ones that look cool, but are high enough and stable enough to allow him a good stable platform to get on and off with. Recommendations here would be fantastic. I saw people discussing the Seal brand in other forums but couldn't find a link or photos of how they look..

Anything else? I'm attaching photos of the bike. Can anyone pinpoint the model? SE5 standard, limited?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Has he ever ridden a spyder before? Before you start accessorizing let him get some ride time. Depending on his hand movement capability, if it’s manual he might not be able to use it. Have him test as is before adding anything. With only 6000 miles on an 11 year old bike change the oil and look at the tires please. Those need done before adding farkle. That’s not many miles so it’s been sitting a while. The cover is fine for under the car port. The boards I’d wait. These are just my opinions. Seal is out of business now but you can still find used ones.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Worry about the every day stuff first, it is a 2010 and the worst thing for any thing is to sit around and this has sat around, 6000 miles, wow!!! It's going to be a good bike, but you got to get it out on the road and see if it's going to be a great bike!! Have fun, make some memory's!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thats a manual

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    thats a manual
    yes, that is a manual. If you are able to find floor boards for it, you will also need to switch over to a heel toe shifter. I would let him give it a try like it is first and see how he likes it. You must be great one to pick up a nice toy like that for your grandfather. Hope he enjoys it. God Bless.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback! Yea it is a manual and will now wait to see if he likes the pegs first. They're pretty decent size regardless. It's low mileage but was very well taken care of. My uncle is going over it with a fine tooth comb this week checking everything Mechanical, tires, breaks, changing fluids etc.

I think I'm just going to order the cover and a lock that he could carry around with it just to give a little extra security. He's in a small town but still..

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GrampsNewSpyder View Post
    Just bought a 2010 Spyer RT for my grandfather. Going to surprise him with it next weekend. Was looking for advise on any additional accessories I should & could get/installed within a week. I was thinking the following.

New cover - it will be stored under a carport. Any recommendations on type? Amazon seemed to have a decent option. "UltraGard 4-475BC Black/Charcoal Can-Am Spyder Cover"

Running boards, currently has just the pegs. He's 83 and want to find ones that look cool, but are high enough and stable enough to allow him a good stable platform to get on and off with. Recommendations here would be fantastic. I saw people discussing the Seal brand in other forums but couldn't find a link or photos of how they look..

Anything else? I'm attaching photos of the bike. Can anyone pinpoint the model? SE5 standard, limited?
    Well if you are slightly handy .... you could make your own .... I did using a thick piece of Alumin. which I cut to shape .... I removed the RUBBER covers and mounted the Alumin. at the same angle with a CUT_OUT for the brake to depress fully .... you can use the BOLT under the pass. footboard to attach the rear of the driver alumin. with and " L " bracket .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

I totally agree with Wmoater in post #2. Let gramps figure out what he needs - these bikes have their way of telling you. There are things I added to my bike and many things that I will never add. You are giving it to him, let it be his to do with as he wants.
    If those are the original tires, please, please replace them
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Another vote for drive a few miles and then accessorize based on what he thinks he needs.

Those tires do need to be replaced. I have the same issue with my Subaru Outback. Bought new in 2016, 27,000 miles. Tires look new, but they are five years old now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well if you are slightly handy .... you could make your own .... I did using a thick piece of Alumin. which I cut to shape .... I removed the RUBBER covers and mounted the Alumin. at the same angle with a CUT_OUT for the brake to depress fully .... you can use the BOLT under the pass. footboard to attach the rear of the driver alumin. with and " L " bracket .... good luck ... Mike
    Well because of a members post I checked your Pics .... so my boards won't work - dis-regard above post