Spyder Garage

Default Replacing rear tire cost.

My boss just had to replace his rear tire (2020 RTL) due to a puncture , and they charged him $431 for new tire and labor. Is that in the ball park? It seem excessive to me. Thanks,

Steve

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know if it's 'excessive' or not (that's a personal judgment), but I will tell you there's about an hour labor involved. And, the dealer makes a nice profit off the tire because they can.

A lot of us buy car tires and do the work ourselves of removing the wheel, then take it to an independent tire shop for mounting.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I buy my tires online, ship them to my shop for about $80 for a rear Kuhmo. The shop replaces the tire and balances it. They charge the shop rate of $95.
    Yes they are a OHV dealer, and sell Can Am and other manufacturers quads. They are very efficient, ie, Professional. Shop around.

Spyder Garage

$431 seems high. Tire costs ~$100 and labor shouldn't be more than $150 (1 hr in high-cost areas).
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I buy my tire online (General Altimax RT 43) and take it to my dealer. I usually pay about $90 for the tire and around $150 for the installation/balancing including them checking my belt and brake pads. Dealer is in Henderson, NC...Brewer's Cycles.
    2014 RT-S SM6 , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

The last time I replaced a rear tire in June 2019 the dealership replaced the General Altimax I provided and installed a new EBC rear disc brake rotor that I also provided for $143.10, NC sales tax included.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Took my F3 Ltd with 13K on the ODO to the dealer I purchased it from for a new rear tire. $289.25 out the door in March 2021 for a brand new Kenda. Dropped it off at 10am and picked it up that afternoon. Great dealer - Tampa Bay Powersports !
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Having only replacing my own tires with car tires I can't say for sure, but it sounds too high to me too. However, the OEM Kendas at dealer retail are far higher priced than automobile tires, so given that variable, it's not completely out of line.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6