Spyder Garage

Angry Good deal on rear tire replacement

Had my rear tire replaced today with 12000 miles on my F3. I took the tire I bought (Kumho) to a dealer that said they would put that tire on. Got a call about an hour later saying that the brake pads were bad and needed replacement and said that they wouldn't charge me any more for labor since they had to take them off. The pads were $70 and I agreed to it but was a little concerned since we had a RT before that we put 25000 miles on without replacing pads. Oh well! The bike was completed in less than 2.5 hours. I was charged for 3 hours. Total bill at the dealer was $418.00 plus the Kumho I bought for $108 for a total of $526.00. If you would like to get this kind of deal, it was at Loves Park Motorsports in northern Il. Thank you for a job well done.

P.S
    Tire was bald and service writer gave me the impression that I was hard on the bike and that was the cause of the brake wear. I thought I did pretty well getting 12000 miles on the original tire.

Spyder Garage

Did you get the old pads back?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Did you get the old pads back?
    No, I did not. I should have asked for them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bucketman View Post

P.S
    Tire was bald and service writer gave me the impression that I was hard on the bike and that was the cause of the brake wear. I thought I did pretty well getting 12000 miles on the original tire.
    Sounds like yet another guesser trying to frighten customers with junk talk. Both tyre and pad wear depend upon many possible situations, some often forgotten by replacement time. I'd be watchful with this workshop.
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RazzleH View Post
    Sounds like yet another guesser trying to frighten customers with junk talk. Both tyre and pad wear depend upon many possible situations, some often forgotten by replacement time. I'd be watchful with this workshop.
    You got it right on the money

Spyder Garage

I believe this may be a situation for the 20-21 models. I have a 2020 RT that had a 12000 mile service and new rear tire installed at Barneys Brooksville Florida. Service mgr. brought me the worn rear pads as I waited for the work to be completed. They were worn and needed replacing. We have six 2020 RTLs in our group and I have apprised the other owners of the group. All were amazed whereas I am very easy on brakes, I let the transmission do its thing to save brakes. I am now looking for “better” pads then stock to keep in case of premature wearing.
    We’re spending the summer in the Colorado Rockies where brakes are needed much more then home turf of Florida. We now have over 16000 miles on the bike and I’m fixing to inspect the pads very soon. $65.00 a pop on one set of rear pads every 12000 miles is a bit much.
    2020 RT , Custom Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruita View Post
    I believe this may be a situation for the 20-21 models. I have a 2020 RT that had a 12000 mile service and new rear tire installed at Barneys Brooksville Florida. Service mgr. brought me the worn rear pads as I waited for the work to be completed. They were worn and needed replacing. We have six 2020 RTLs in our group and I have apprised the other owners of the group. All were amazed whereas I am very easy on brakes, I let the transmission do its thing to save brakes. I am now looking for “better” pads then stock to keep in case of premature wearing.
    We’re spending the summer in the Colorado Rockies where brakes are needed much more then home turf of Florida. We now have over 16000 miles on the bike and I’m fixing to inspect the pads very soon. $65.00 a pop on one set of rear pads every 12000 miles is a bit much.
    Just curious, did you pay around $526 for your tire and brake service?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Had my rear tire replaced today with 12000 miles on my F3. I took the tire I bought (Kumho) to a dealer that said they would put that tire on. Got a call about an hour later saying that the brake pads were bad and needed replacement and said that they wouldn't charge me any more for labor since they had to take them off. The pads were $70 and I agreed to it but was a little concerned since we had a RT before that we put 25000 miles on without replacing pads. Oh well! The bike was completed in less than 2.5 hours. I was charged for 3 hours. Total bill at the dealer was $418.00 plus the Kumho I bought for $108 for a total of $526.00. If you would like to get this kind of deal, it was at Loves Park Motorsports in northern Il. Thank you for a job well done.

P.S
    with #2,#3, #4, & #5 ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I can see it. I have a 2020 RTL and I just changed the rear tire and inspected the rear brake pads. Mine has about 11k on it, mostly highway miles and the pads are more than half way done. If most of your miles are city or back country roads with lots of braking and/or two up, then the pads will wear a lot more. Get the EBC pads and you should get better results.

(Oh, and for the record, I replaced the OEM Kenda due to an upcoming trip and not because it was worn out, surprisingly enough.)
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

P.S
    I'm dropping off my machine next week, all three tires. I have less than 7,000 miles on mine and the rear Kenda is well into the wearbars, and I'm thinking my rear pads are going to be pretty worn, speed is always an expensive proposition
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

My 2018 RTL is looking better all the time!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

So the thinking is the 20/21 models have different brakes that the prior models? Interesting.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robtdonna View Post
    So the thinking is the 20/21 models have different brakes that the prior models? Interesting.
    No, not 'new brakes' per se - it's more that they have different 'braking dynamics', which is putting more of the stopping effort onto the rear & so wearing those pads sooner.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My 2018 RTL is looking better all the time! I removed the rear tire and took it to a Can Am dealer in Mesa, Az and they charged me $27.50 to mount and balance the General RT43 and they kept the worn out Kenda. I was a happy camper. Earlier I took the front wheels to Discount tire and they mounted my Federals.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    I'm dropping off my machine next week, all three tires. I have less than 7,000 miles on mine and the rear Kenda is well into the wearbars, and I'm thinking my rear pads are going to be pretty worn, speed is always an expensive proposition
    For my 2014 RT I went 30,000 mi. on my rear pads ( and yes they were Very worn, but not completely ) .... PS I ride very aggressive .....good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Got a feeling you may do a lot more engine braking than most Mike, from what I am reading from other posts! When it comes time to replace pads I would go see Ron for a set of EBC's, they work great for me!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

On my 2020 RT I replaced my stock rear at 9000 miles as it had no tread left on half the tire. Brake pads looked good. I now have 20,000 miles and after reading this thread decided I better check them. The pads still look good!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Got a feeling you may do a lot more engine braking than most Mike, from what I am reading from other posts! When it comes time to replace pads I would go see Ron for a set of EBC's, they work great for me!!
    Actually I'm opposed to engine braking, the only downshifting I do, is to stay in the Power Band in the twistie's. .... I just try to drive and anticipate when I need to go slower ..... & when I changed Brake Pads I used Ron's .... Mike

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Well, I'm in the 9000 mile group. Tire was showing cords (Kenda) and rear OEM pads were nearly gone, so much so that I had a heck of a time getting the rear piston started onto the threads!

I'm not hard on bikes. OEM stuff is junk! Got EBC pads from Ron. Here is Ron's rear set after 24k-9k = 15k of even harder riding.

both-rear-pads.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Had Loves Park Motorsports do my tire swap last week, Quatracs up front and a Kumho AST in the rear. First I have to say the service was professional and the labor for the tire mounting, balancing, and inspecting my air suspension came in at three hours which I thought was very fair. They set the front tires at 15 PSI and the rear at 28 PSI.

I took the long way home last Friday from the dealer and put 210 satisfied miles on.
    64874518057__1AAAFA24-B9E3-4609-AF59-5F221E4D058D.jpg

64874519643__940301A3-F268-4884-93E3-83CF2ACE04F8.jpg
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome