Spyder Garage

Default Can Am RT Limited 2021 suspension - is it any different fm 2020?

I went from a 2012 RT limited to a 2021 RT limited I am pretty impressed with the suspension on the 2021.
    Is the 2020 RT limited suspension any different from the 2021? I was reading and I see a couple of people added a sway bars for the 2020 RT.
    Xm Radio, BRP CB, Top block off plate, Lazard LED, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

They are the same.

I have a little less then 2000 miles on mine but see no reason to add a sway bar.
    I have ridden on Moonshiner 28 and my buddy on his Honda couldn't keep up with me without dragging his foot rest pegs.

Your driving may be more aggressive than mine though.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you for the feedback

Thank you for the feedback I really enjoy the way it handles specially going around curves

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    They are the same.

I have a little less then 2000 miles on mine but see no reason to add a sway bar.
    I have ridden on Moonshiner 28 and my buddy on his Honda couldn't keep up with me without dragging his foot rest pegs.

Your driving may be more aggressive than mine though.

Spyder Garage

They are the same and adequate for most riders. For those that push the envelope past OEM expectations, even the 'new' RTs can be made more stable and controllable with suspension upgrades. Especially in the fast curves.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Just for the record they all have front anti-sway bars. This bar and been pretty much the same for the 2014 RT's to the current models. BajaRon makes a heavier duty one and supplies it with much better links to connect from the bar to the A-frames. A handful of people that upgraded their 2020 and 2021 did not feel that it made much difference. Ride style would account for the feeling.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Just for the record they all have front anti-sway bars. This bar and been pretty much the same for the 2014 RT's to the current models. BajaRon makes a heavier duty one and supplies it with much better links to connect from the bar to the A-frames. A handful of people that upgraded their 2020 and 2021 did not feel that it made much difference. Ride style would account for the feeling.
    Dont quote me on this but I think that starting with the 2020 models the sway bar was different.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

My 2020 RT OEM sway bar is noticeably thinner than the Baja Ron bar. The BR thickness difference and metal links translates to a tighter connection between the front wheels giving better handling in spirited situations.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    My 2020 RT OEM sway bar is noticeably thinner than the Baja Ron bar. The BR thickness difference and metal links translates to a tighter connection between the front wheels giving better handling in ALL situations.
    Fixed it for you Ray!

There is a point of diminishing returns, but a heavier swaybar will not only improve your 'spirited riding', it will also improve your straight line stability. . This is because softer/lighter bars allow each of the front wheels to react more to the bumps & imperfections they've hit individually, and by letting just one side of the Spyder/Ryker suspension flex like that, even just a little, the wheel alignment on that side will vary a little as the suspension articulates, causing some 'bump induced steering reaction' and giving the Spyder/Ryker a bit of a nervous, twitchy feeling! A heavier bar doesn't let just one side of the suspension flex on it's lonesome anywhere near so much and cause that sort of steering reaction, it forces both front wheels & the suspension to the either ignore those bumps (two shocks & springs linked together resisting the bump instead of just one ) or it forces the front wheels to react together, effectively cancelling out the 'bump induced steering reaction' and the twitchiness it brings!

Light 'anti-sway bars' are great for a plush & comfortable ride when you're not pushing it, but with the type of suspension we have on our Spyders/Rykers, they are somewhat prone to cause/allow both straight line twitchiness and to excessive roll in more spirited riding. Heavier 'anti-sway bars' reduce that twitchy response in straight line riding and reduce the body roll experienced during more spirited riding!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

Light 'anti-sway bars' are great for a plush & comfortable ride when you're not pushing it, but with the type of suspension we have on our Spyders/Rykers, they are somewhat prone to cause/allow both straight line twitchiness and to excessive roll in more spirited riding. Heavier 'anti-sway bars' reduce that twitchy response in straight line riding and reduce the body roll experienced during more spirited riding!
    Peter, I’m sure you will correct me if I’m wrong , but I have interpreted your paragraph above as saying a better suspension may also reduce twitchiness and excessive roll. I’ll be updating my suspension as a matter of course due to my size and the potholes with some road attached that we have on the mid north coast. As I said in my post on my new RT, I really like the handling as is, so is it possible I can get away without the aftermarket sway bar? I am no longer any kind of aggressive rider

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

https://www.wespydservices.com/sway-bars
    Rabbit Works in Sydney is the spot for Australian sway bars. My experience supports.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-29-2021 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Rabit = Rabbit ;-)
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

Thanks Pete. I try not to over-state my wonderfulness . I only have experience in the Spirited category.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Peter, I’m sure you will correct me if I’m wrong , but I have interpreted your paragraph above as saying a better suspension may also reduce twitchiness and excessive roll. I’ll be updating my suspension as a matter of course due to my size and the potholes with some road attached that we have on the mid north coast. As I said in my post on my new RT, I really like the handling as is, so is it possible I can get away without the aftermarket sway bar? I am no longer any kind of aggressive rider

Pete
    No need for correction Pete, that is correct!

But I'd be interested if you can see any obvious differences in the suspension set-ups between your new Spyder & what you remember of your last Spyder?? . There certainly seem to have been some improvements made, but I'm just not sure what, and I haven't been able to spend any time with an older Spyder parked alongside one of the newer machines... not yet, anyway!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

No need for correction Pete, that is correct!

But I'd be interested if you can see any obvious differences in the suspension set-ups between your new Spyder & what you remember of your last Spyder?? . There certainly seem to have been some improvements made, but I'm just not sure what, and I haven't been able to spend any time with an older Spyder parked alongside one of the newer machines... not yet, anyway!
    Peter, I do not know exactly what differences there are, especially as I am coming from a ‘16 F3-L, but after riding a couple of familiar country roads, I believe that my new RT (stock) handles every bit as well in the twisties as my F3-L with Kuhmos, stabiliser bar and Wilbers shocks (perhaps I should say - I feel every bit as comfortable cornering at speed….I certainly did NOT feel that on the stock F3-L). Obviously, I don’t ride as hard as you do, but I do push it a bit. I am very happy with the setup, but only time will tell. I WILL change at least the front shocks though, just for the potholes and torn tarmac.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

The OP was comparing a 2012 to a 2021!!! You don't think there are any differences in those two chassis? There the same frame, shocks, springs?? I put my butt on the seat and I can feel a whole lot of change!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne View Post
    I went from a 2012 RT limited to a 2021 RT limited I am pretty impressed with the suspension on the 2021.
    Is the 2020 RT limited suspension any different from the 2021? I was reading and I see a couple of people added a sway bars for the 2020 RT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The OP was comparing a 2012 to a 2021!!! You don't think there are any differences in those two chassis? There the same frame, shocks, springs?? I put my butt on the seat and I can feel a whole lot of change!
    Mikey, while the OP does tell us in their first sentence that they went from a 2012 to a 2021 RT, if you read on juusst a bit in their text (& the title) of the first post, it looks like the OP was ACTUALLY asking if there were any differences between the 2020 & 2021 RT suspensions... ( Unless maybe that was a typo in the Original Post?? ) Possibly, they wanted to know in order to try & work out why some owners of 2020 RT's have bothered with a/mkt anti-sway bars when their 2021 is so good with the OE anti-sway bar?!

I think we are all aware that there have been some 'upgrades' in the suspension of RT's between 2012 & 2021 tho!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-30-2021 at 09:19 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

After just riding my 2020 RT-L home on the freeway, it felt squirly to me. It didn't feel right until the bar was installed. I think the bar (and the accompanying links) remain absolutely essential. To my knowledge, the 2020s and 2021s are the same bikes -- even the colors were unchanged.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Mikey, while the OP does tell us in their first sentence that they went from a 2012 to a 2021 RT, if you read on juusst a bit in their text (& the title) of the first post, it looks like the OP was ACTUALLY asking if there were any differences between the 2020 & 2021 RT suspensions... ( Unless maybe that was a typo in the Original Post?? ) Possibly, they wanted to know in order to try & work out why some owners of 2020 RT's have bothered with a/mkt anti-sway bars when their 2021 is so good with the OE anti-sway bar?!

I think we are all aware that there have been some 'upgrades' in the suspension of RT's between 2012 & 2021 tho!
    I stand corrected! Now I see what he was trying to ask, Sorry!! I am with you all, that think CanAm could come up with a stronger sway bar, makes a big difference!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I didn't change the sway bar on my 2021 RT but did change the sway bar linkages. I can tell you that it made a huge difference in handling; especially around corners. I don't drive aggressively but noticed the change. Next will be new shocks but that has to wait until next year.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I would like to thank all you Spyder lover, I have been a member on this site sense 2012 anytime I ever had any problems. I would ask you questions and the members always come through. I also want to say most of the members are great people I have friends that I met in 2012 because of my spyder that are still in my like today, so thank you again for helping me understand a little bit more about the 2021 RTL i’m sure after a while I will have to change the sway bar, but I am going to have more time in the seat in order to know the difference. When I do change. But there is one thing I did really notice when I bought my 2012 RTL I got the luggage, a cover, The locks if I decided to buy a trailer. Only thing I got extra this time maybe an extra handshake lol.
    I did keep my luggage from my 2012 RTL and they fit