Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of buying a Time Out Camping Trailer - your experiences??

I'm thinking of buying a Time Out camping trailer, the $4195 16 sq ft model, and am wondering if any of y'all have bought one, and your experience with it.

Also, did you buy the swivel coupler, and why should or shouldn't I buy a swivel coupler?

Spyder Garage

As to the swivel coupler you don't need it. On a Spyder you don't lean. All you need is the samr coupler any car or truck would use. I have a Kwick Kamp ( old) !nd I like it,just don' use it enough any more. You will like your Time Out

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I had the Kwik-Kamp…. Loved it. All you had to do to initially set it up was pull the frame..the canvas was already attached. Therefore, if it was bad weather it was a super fast set up and take down. Also, that design left LOTS of empty space in the trailer for cargo instead of all the canvas and poles being stored in the trailer.
    I pulled that trailer with a Kawasaki Voyager 1200…the hitch was a swivel coupler. i was told that, in case of an accident, the coupler would flip the trailer instead of, hopefully, flipping the bike too… never had to test that aspect of it.
    Let us know what you decide.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never had the Time Out camper, but I did have their cargo trailer many, MANY years ago. Had friends that did have the camper, though.

When we got to the campsite, they would get ready to set up their camper, we would unload our tent from the cargo trailer. Overall, the setup time was about the same. In other words, it takes a LONG time to set up the Time Out camper. And all your 'stuff' might be getting wet in the process, too. Other campers, like the Kwik-Kamp mentioned above and the Leesure-Lite were disgustingly easy and quick to set up. Pretty much find a level area, extend the stabilizer legs, undo the latches and flip the tent top into position.

There are also a couple other campers that are sort of in-between. The Bunkhouse and Aspen campers do require some assembly, but not nearly as much as the Time Out.

Bottom line: The Time Out is a decent camper, but be prepared to take a relatively long time for set up and take down.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

we are think getting the time out to . for the queen size bed . all other only have a full size bed
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

pieman9155

I have the exact same trailer that you are considering for purchase. My thoughts, yours may be different; I have had mine for five years, towed it around 20,000 miles ( conservative estimate). The net weight is I believe 360#s, which is almost 40% of your tow vehicle. Starting up from a stop you are aware that it's behind you, once underway you won't be bothered by it being behind you. For stopping you will encounter marked increases in stopping distances. I would suggest that you avail yourself of the electric brakes that are an option. This along with the recent advent of bluetooth connected electric brake controllers will give you much greater ability to stop quickly in an emergency braking situation.

The comments made about set up time are incorrect, this can be set up while keeping the contents almost dry in under three minutes. The reverse of taking it down is about a 20 minute procedure, and the inside will definitely get wet. The queen sized air bed that comes with them works well. The newer replacements that have built in air pumps are almost too high to work, they put you a lot nearer the ceiling and partially block the side and end window screening, still functional but will decrease the total screening available for air flow. I find that with a small electric fan to move air around inside the tent you can remain comfortable up to the mid 80's.

Seam seal the roof seams annually after the first year and clean and repack the wheel bearings at the beginning of each season and you wont have to be concerned about the 8" wheels turning twice as fast as your indicated ground speed. I travel mainly back roads, normally cruise at no more than sixty mph and my MPH with my F3-T drops from 34 to around thirty mpg. I will carry at least one extra gallon of fuel if I'm heading out west where the stations seem to be much further apart.

I have traveled to both coasts at least once and a lot of points in between. I have been pleased with my choice, just would have added the electric brakes. If you decide to forgo the electric brakes at the time of purchase just be advised that all the Time Out Camping trailers come equipped with the flange behind the wheel spindle and in front of the torsion arm that will allow you to upgrade to electric brakes in the future.

I have always had people come over to look at my trailer after I get it set up, they are always amazed at the interior space available. I carry my extra clothing in two dry sacks which I bungie cord to the legs at the front of the trailer that support the floor when it is set up for camping. If you decide to purchase this, you will have years of enjoyment using it. If you tire of it and decide to sell, there seems to be someone looking to purchase used. They hold their value well year to year. Hope my thoughts are helpful, enjoy your new camper. As stated the swivel hitch is definitely optional when pulled with a Spyder or your car. PM me if you have questions that I haven't addressed.

Al in Kazoo
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-29-2021 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Removed incomplete size delimiters?!
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good advice for any tent trailer!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

well we did buy the time out trailer yesterday. was with sale man for 3 hrs . showing everything about the trailer. he had 6 in stock
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

We bought the Deluxe Timeout and have camped in it 5 times so far. We are really enjoying it, our set up time is getting quicker every time. Like someone else said, I only notice it behind the Spyder when taking off.

Spyder Garage

If you haven't bought one yet I have a 21 Timeout deluxe used a few times with AC. $4500

Spyder Garage

used ours last month for week. love it . it rain for 2 days worked great
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

I gave the Bumkhouse and it’s great. Lots of storage space you can get to without setting up camper. Hard to find them though as people don’t want to get rid of them