Spyder Garage

Default Right saddlebag won't open! Help please?!

My right saddlebag won't open. I'm afraid to pull hard on the cheap plastic lever! Help please.

Spyder Garage

Push on the bag with your knee and hand putting pressure against the saddle bag and pull the lever. That will release some space on the clasp. You won’t break it. You need to push pretty hard

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

After it pops open spray the latches and hinges with lithium grease. Close it and see if it opens. If it doesn’t pop open, push in to open and adjust the tension. Watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDW1U5-1Uxs.

Edited post- Oops I just looked on other posts you made and you have a 2020. Opening process will work still but adjustment is different from video.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Wmoater,,
    Ok I'll try that in the morning. Thanks

Spyder Garage

If.pushing on it does not work take off.passenger seat remove two screws that holding the little fill in panel under the passenger hand grip pull the panel reach down and pull the lever that the cable runs to it runs between the two locking latches

Spyder Garage

Time to adjust your cables or not stuff your bag so tight! I pop the cover with my knee while pulling on the handle, works well for me!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 RT and had to adjust the handles on both saddlebags. Lay down under the saddlebag and with a flashlight, look up toward the lever. There is an adjustment screw and locking nut on the lever cable. It is easier to see on the left side because of the exhaust, but I was able to make the adjustment on the right side as well. I loosened the locking nut and turned the adjuster clockwise a few turns, testing the handle as I moved it. Once I got the adjustment where I wanted it, I screwed the locking nut tight.
    2020 Spyder RT Limited in Deep Marsala Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by packerfan View Post
    I have a 2020 RT and had to adjust the handles on both saddlebags. Lay down under the saddlebag and with a flashlight, look up toward the lever. There is an adjustment screw and locking nut on the lever cable. It is easier to see on the left side because of the exhaust, but I was able to make the adjustment on the right side as well. I loosened the locking nut and turned the adjuster clockwise a few turns, testing the handle as I moved it. Once I got the adjustment where I wanted it, I screwed the locking nut tight.
    Thank you. Good advice.

Spyder Garage

The problem is not in the adjustment, It's the latches themselves. A lot of us with the 2020 RT's have had this problem. I have broken one of my levers dealing with this problem.
    I have taken off my rear fenders and the latches are really not made very well. Corrosion from the elements that gets up there is a real problem. I have cleaned them and used a 3 in one oil to lubricate them. This seems to work the best so far. Still, this is another design flaw by BRP. It's time they step up and fix this with a recall.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlhoug View Post
    The problem is not in the adjustment, It's the latches themselves. A lot of us with the 2020 RT's have had this problem. I have broken one of my levers dealing with this problem.
    I have taken off my rear fenders and the latches are really not made very well. Corrosion from the elements that gets up there is a real problem. I have cleaned them and used a 3 in one oil to lubricate them. This seems to work the best so far. Still, this is another design flaw by BRP. It's time they step up and fix this with a recall.
    Wow! Right one wouldn't open, now left one won't latch shut!! JUNK JUNK!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, had the same prob with my left latch on the 20 RTL. The old push in with the knee trick worked, then fiddle with the the adjustment. There is one YouTube story of a 20 RTL rider took his in, the tech pulled on the handle and broke it. Tech ordered the wrong handle, his RTL was at the dealer's almost a month.