Spyder Garage

Default My DIY GPS mount for my Ryker.

I made this bracket out of sheet aluminum, painted textured black, for my Garmin Zumo GPS. The Garmin came with the handlebar bracket on the right in the photo, but it is ugly. This is much cleaner. I like the position of the GPS, directly below line-of-sight of the road. The Garmin mount would have been off to either side. I use helmet speakers with an Interphone to listen to music - the GPS is also my media player.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Looks great. Well Done.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

It is a nice job, can you still mount one of the adjustable windshields?
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

A very good DIY job; looks professional. At this point I offer that if you want to avoid having to remove the GPD every time you leave sight of the Ryker consider looking at a Kradellock, https://robertbeckerdesign.com/http://. The only think you might have to do is select your own length of bolts to substitute for the ones Mr. Becker sends with the lock. FWIW, I find the Kradellock secure enough that I leave my GPS on the Spyder all the time except when overnighting at motels on tour. I substituted 7mm stainless hex head bolts for the longer stainless Phillips head screws Mr. Becker provided.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I made this bracket out of sheet aluminum, painted textured black, for my Garmin Zumo GPS. The Garmin came with the handlebar bracket on the right in the photo, but it is ugly. This is much cleaner. I like the position of the GPS, directly below line-of-sight of the road. The Garmin mount would have been off to either side. I use helmet speakers with an Interphone to listen to music - the GPS is also my media player.
    That looks great. What is the piece between the GPS screen and the aluminum bracket (visible in the backside view image)- is it part of the GPS?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    That looks great. What is the piece between the GPS screen and the aluminum bracket (visible in the backside view image)- is it part of the GPS?
    I have the same GPS, except mine is the 390. Its the Zumo cradle that the GPS locks into, it also provides power and charges the unit. All the Garmin Zumo GPS's are motorcycle specific and have the mount/cradle. Its nice because it allows you to remove the GPS with the push of a button when you leave your machine unattended.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    ...All the Garmin Zumo GPS's are motorcycle specific and have the mount/cradle. Its nice because it allows you to remove the GPS with the push of a button when you leave your machine unattended.
    And that's the beauty of the Kradellock. It is sandwiched between the GPS mount and specific GPS cradle with the lock preventing the cradle latch button from being activated to remove the GPS.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    And that's the beauty of the Kradellock. It is sandwiched between the GPS mount and specific GPS cradle with the lock preventing the cradle latch button from being activated to remove the GPS.
    Nice but a bit pricey.

Spyder Garage

It depends upon the value one puts on the nuisance, IMO, of having to remove the GPS every time one is out of sight of the Spyder/Ryker. I put up with it for about a year and then went to the Kradellock.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I use a Zumolock zumolock for my Zumo 396.
    The unit with the RAM Security lock + key runs 79 Euros ($93US) and about $6 shipping

It's simple, it works. I live in an apartment and I am completely OK with leaving the unit on the bike.
    It was a real annoyance to remove it every time I parked at a store or at home.

My big motivator was that I had a Zumo 395 that managed to bounce out of the mount and get run over by a semi. Hundreds of dollars wasted - zero doubt it was user error.

Spyder Garage

I removed the release button and added a small slot to pull the release mechanism with a paper clip. Not as secure as a lock, but then a screwdriver or wrench takes the whole thing.

Anyone on the forum who wants to steal my Zumo, now you know how.

20210729_105403.jpg

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nicely done.
    As I rarely use a GPS, I just used the suction cup to the back of the Sport wind screen.

3b-Perkinsville road to Drake 14 Sep 20.jpg
    21-Grand Canyon North Rim Point Imperial.jpg
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Would you be willing to make more of these? I would love to have one..

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post

2021 Sea to Sky
    2020 600 , gloss black

Spyder Garage

I made it using only hand tools. Kinda labor intensive. If I had a plasma cutter I'd make more.

Spyder Garage

Very very nice. It has a clean professional look to it.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited