Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Why do many think that the brake being applied while still on the throttle causes a fault code? Does your car do that? Do you know of any motorcycle that does that? Do you not see the videos of people on rykers holding down the brake and doing burnouts? If there is actual proof, show it.
    Simply because it does. Does not happen in 100 feet. Easy to prove to yourself. Lightly press and hold the brake and go for a ride.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So you have no proof either. Just like the sky is falling!

Spyder Garage

So you have no proof either. Just like the sky is falling!
    Maybe look at post # 26 or better yet Read The Fine Manual. That's not the only code it can throw.

Yes, it happens. Try it for yourself. It's easy to recreate.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, #26 is not plausible in this situation. If it was, there would be a very high percentage of incidents instead of just an annoying amount of “new rider nonsense”. As for me trying it, I’ve been doing it for nearly 3 years, and I’ll give you an example. Anytime a car is within, what I think is a reasonable distance to be notified of my intending stopping, I’ll “ride” the brake then “pump” it 3 times while on the throttle to notify the person behind me of my intension to stop. I do this as a safety for me and courteous to driver behind me do to the rapid deceleration of my Ryker when you just get off the gas. And YES, I’m a skilled rider of over 58 years and have competed in motorcycle competition in the late 60’s on and off to 2002. I guess you have your opinion and I have mine. No hard feelings.

Spyder Garage

. Anytime a car is within, what I think is a reasonable distance to be notified of my intending stopping, I’ll “ride” the brake then “pump” it 3 times while on the throttle to notify the person behind me of my intension to stop. I do this as a safety for me and courteous to driver behind me do to the rapid deceleration of my Ryker when you just get off the gas.
    I agree that that code would not be the one thrown in this case, its just an example. But you are not riding the brake for enuff distance for it to throw one of the others. I agree with the no hard feelings. I just don't want someone to read over this and get the feeling that you can ride the brake pedal, like you can in just about any other vehicle (see we agree again), and not have the nanny speak up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good chatting with you.

Spyder Garage

On page 13 of the manual, right column:

Notice: When riding, make sure not to lay your foot on brake pedal. Otherwise, the engine management will activate the limp home mode to protect the braking system.

I have no idea if it generates a code when it does that.

Spyder Garage

Well, #26 is not plausible in this situation.
    The "situation" was driver riding the brake pedal. Applying the brake for more than 2.5 seconds without pressing sufficiently hard to generate fluid pressure causes a fault code.

Spyder Garage

..It is whatever it was..

Spyder Garage

Well, #26 is not plausible in this situation. If it was, there would be a very high percentage of incidents instead of just an annoying amount of “new rider nonsense”. As for me trying it, I’ve been doing it for nearly 3 years, and I’ll give you an example. Anytime a car is within, what I think is a reasonable distance to be notified of my intending stopping, I’ll “ride” the brake then “pump” it 3 times while on the throttle to notify the person behind me of my intension to stop. I do this as a safety for me and courteous to driver behind me do to the rapid deceleration of my Ryker when you just get off the gas. And YES, I’m a skilled rider of over 58 years and have competed in motorcycle competition in the late 60’s on and off to 2002. I guess you have your opinion and I have mine. No hard feelings.

In the situation that you describe above, are you also applying the throttle? I'm pretty sure you are not.

In the VSS code fault, the person is typically driving normally (throttle on) while also slightly depressing the brake pedal to the point where the switch is activated but not much pressure is being applied.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
    On page 13 of the manual, right column:

Notice: When riding, make sure not to lay your foot on brake pedal. Otherwise, the engine management will activate the limp home mode to protect the braking system.

I have no idea if it generates a code when it does that.
    You are 100% correct
    brake warning.jpg

Spyder Garage

Where is the quality control BRP???? BRP has the best opportunity right now to boost their sales in the US! Harley Davidson is in trouble by over pricing their products and other reasons, they are losing 8-10 percent of their business per year, and Honda and others are not gaining sales, so Spyders could be increasing their sales! Poor quality control, poor dealership relations, keeping Spyders in the shop for weeks waiting on BRP to agree on sending parts for repairs, the list just keeps going on for our BRP products! Wake up BRP and smell the roses, you have a great product with poor support! Once you have problems with a supplier, change suppliers, don't just keep sending out the same part that has already broken several time! Wake up BRP, we the people mostly love our Spyders , and your other products, but "YOU AS A COMPANY MUST REALIZE THE NEED FOR SUPPORT AND DEALER SUPPORT"! Example some dealers are charging $128 per hour to work on our products, don't you think that might be a little too much? Wake up and smell the roses!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Get aftermarket mirrors and floorboards. You won't be disappointed!

See my thread about modding my wife's Ryker.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...e-wife-s-Ryker
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

The mechanic at the shop ran my bike through the computer and he looked at the VSS information and it went into limp mode because I had my foot lightly on the brake for a certain amount of distance. He didn't know how far it takes exactly, but to clear the fault you have to pull over, and restart the bike after a minute.

My issue was I didn't know the brake pedal itself was adjustable so when I was on the highway I didn't realize my foot was just barely pressing down on the brake pedal because it was pretty close to my foot. They showed me how to adjust the brake pedal and I haven't had that issue since. I just post that information here so others can learn from my mistakes.

I also ordered the slingmods brake pedal as well. If I like it I'll get the floorboard as well.

And finally I installed some aftermarket mirrors as well and they're a huge improvement compared to the old ones. I can see 50% wider.

Spyder Garage

I am glad the issue was resolved.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Keep in mind the braking system on these things is quite complex and fully integrated with the drive train. I imagine it can be pretty confusing for the "brain" if it's getting an active steady braking signal while it's trying to correct for "driver input error" ... A nice way of saying you just did something stoopid and are now sliding out of control in a tight corner ... ;-}

Kinda like pumping the brakes on an ABS equipped car - that basically shuts ABS off on a lot of vehicles, especially older ones that aren't as smart as the newer versions. It's usually us old(er) fartz that run into problems with this - old dogs, new tricks, eh.

PS - I just found out that the front brakes work independently as well, applying different pressure and programming to left and right sides to auto correct a slide or lift, and force over-steer to pull you away from oncoming traffic in a turn that's going sideways, all while controlling accel/decel. Or so I'm told?
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post

PS - I just found out that the front brakes work independently as well, applying different pressure and programming to left and right sides to auto correct a slide or lift, and force over-steer to pull you away from oncoming traffic in a turn that's going sideways, all while controlling accel/decel. Or so I'm told?
    Oh they do that VERY WELL I can assure you!

At least, they did on my Ryker 'test rydes' and do on my 2013, & I don't believe that BRP have degraded the very sexy Bosch integrated ABS/VSS suite that makes this work soo well in any Spyder/Ryker models released since!! Enhanced, maybe; degraded, surely Not!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-16-2021 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Sp
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

That's a nice looking Ryker. I see you have the driver backrest installed in conjunction with the top case. I recently bought a top case and put my driver backrest on the shelf due to feeling cramped. The Ryker isn't exactly designed for "mass challenged" people. I have my foot pegs all the way forward and my handlebars all the way back, and this configuration is quite comfortable with the top case minus the $200 driver backrest. If I lose a good amount of weight, I might consider putting the driver backrest back in place. I guess it's a psychological thing. I need something behind my back, and that isn't necessarily for lumbar support. The Ryker isn't the most comfortable ride around, especially for chunky people. It's no Gold Wing or Harley luxo-cruiser. Honestly, it's annoying that we were led to believe that the Max Mount was a base-level necessity only to find later that the newer BRP comfort seats that add 2" of width and legroom are not Max Mount compatible. I suppose I need to accept that fact that the Ryker was designed for a physically fit millennial type. Regardless, I enjoyed the heck out of my ride today to pick up Chinese carryout in the next town. The top case add and driver backrest delete has made me feel even more comfortable and confident.
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

I've put 300 miles on the bike so far and I love it. I got the sling mods foot pedal replacement and it's a nice improvement. I'm still waiting on the comfort seat and aluminum handguards to come in and I'm hoping the comfort seat fits with my current setup otherwise I'll have to figure something out. I got the sling mods luggage rack and shad saddlebag and I was able to bungie cord some things onto it on a trip.

I bought a 8x8x8 shed in a box, anchored it with some sand bags, and set it up in the driveway. It's a perfect fit for the bike because it's too wide to fit into my shed.

Only complaint I have is about the gas mileage. The ryker only seems to get around 120 miles on the tank? It feels like every trip I'm stopping at the gas station coming home.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lokiryker View Post
    I've put 300 miles on the bike so far and I love it. I got the sling mods foot pedal replacement and it's a nice improvement. I'm still waiting on the comfort seat and aluminum handguards to come in and I'm hoping the comfort seat fits with my current setup otherwise I'll have to figure something out. I got the sling mods luggage rack and shad saddlebag and I was able to bungie cord some things onto it on a trip.

I bought a 8x8x8 shed in a box, anchored it with some sand bags, and set it up in the driveway. It's a perfect fit for the bike because it's too wide to fit into my shed.

Only complaint I have is about the gas mileage. The ryker only seems to get around 120 miles on the tank? It feels like every trip I'm stopping at the gas station coming home.
    If you got the Driver Comfort seat it will fit, if you got the Solo Driver Comfort Seat, it wont fit with the Max Mount. The mileage should get better the more you ride it. Mine got pretty low mileage in the first 800 miles, then it started getting better.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lokiryker View Post

<< DERAIL >>

Fun times here in sKiZoLand. I got a Ural sidecar rig after losing a leg in a major accident - kept me riding anyway. Didn't have room for it in the garage, so I picked up one of those sheds. Worked nice, then I saw the Ryker and just had to have it. Thing is, I had a lot of fun on the Ural and plan to keep it and now the canvas shed's too small. Made the mistake of checking with the township if it was ok to put up a bigger shed, and they said no, then told me I couldn't keep the old one either.

(mumble mutter)

So - short version - only solution allowed is to add on to the existing garage. Which pretty much doubles the investment in the Ryker. On the bright side, the contractor is a friend and will be taking the old canvas shed, and maybe even one of my old two wheelers in trade.

Who knew buying a bike could get this complicated? ;-}

< < END DERAIL > >
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear about that terrible accident. Government is always good for telling you what to do and spreading misery large and small.

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post
    << DERAIL >>

Fun times here in sKiZoLand. I got a Ural sidecar rig after losing a leg in a major accident - kept me riding anyway. Didn't have room for it in the garage, so I picked up one of those sheds. Worked nice, then I saw the Ryker and just had to have it. Thing is, I had a lot of fun on the Ural and plan to keep it and now the canvas shed's too small. Made the mistake of checking with the township if it was ok to put up a bigger shed, and they said no, then told me I couldn't keep the old one either.

(mumble mutter)

So - short version - only solution allowed is to add on to the existing garage. Which pretty much doubles the investment in the Ryker. On the bright side, the contractor is a friend and will be taking the old canvas shed, and maybe even one of my old two wheelers in trade.

Who knew buying a bike could get this complicated? ;-}

< < END DERAIL > >
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    If you got the Driver Comfort seat it will fit, if you got the Solo Driver Comfort Seat, it wont fit with the Max Mount. The mileage should get better the more you ride it. Mine got pretty low mileage in the first 800 miles, then it started getting better.
    I've not been fond of the gas mileage either. Of course, with the way I twist the throttle, what do I expect? I think I only have 1300 miles on it.
    -2021 Ryker 900