Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Got my new Ryker - didn't even make it a mile

So last Friday I stopped by the dealer to pick-up my brand new 2021 Ryker 900 with only 1 mile on the odometer. I pulled out and didn't even make it a half mile because I stopped at an intersection and the engine cut out and I was like: did I do something wrong? I restarted it again and it shut off. The high temperature warning flashed on the display and I could see smoke coming out of the front end. I managed to get it started and turned around and brought it back to the dealer who quickly rushed it into the shop. They thought it was the temperature sensor so they replaced it and the coolant, but turns out it may be the water pump because it's not pumping. Apparently this is the second brand new bike they've had come in from the factory with the same issue and I'm not sure how it even made it past inspection.

So now I have to wait to next week for them to fix the issue and hopefully not run into anything else on the way. I'm lucky I wasn't on the highway because I was a mile away.

Spyder Garage

Yikes!
    My grandfather bought a new Ford post-WW2 and it overheated consistently. The dealer discovered that there was no impeller in the water pump.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    Yikes!
    My grandfather bought a new Ford post-WW2 and it overheated consistently. The dealer discovered that there was no impeller in the water pump.

That would piss a guy off!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lokiryker View Post
    .....So now I have to wait to next week for them to fix the issue and hopefully not run into anything else on the way. I'm lucky I wasn't on the highway because I was a mile away.

And so would that!!!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-27-2021 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

So last Friday I stopped by the dealer to pick-up my brand new 2021 Ryker 900 with only 1 mile on the odometer. I pulled out and didn't even make it a half mile because I stopped at an intersection and the engine cut out and I was like: did I do something wrong? I restarted it again and it shut off. The high temperature warning flashed on the display and I could see smoke coming out of the front end. I managed to get it started and turned around and brought it back to the dealer who quickly rushed it into the shop. They thought it was the temperature sensor so they replaced it and the coolant, but turns out it may be the water pump because it's not pumping. Apparently this is the second brand new bike they've had come in from the factory with the same issue and I'm not sure how it even made it past inspection.

So now I have to wait to next week for them to fix the issue and hopefully not run into anything else on the way. I'm lucky I wasn't on the highway because I was a mile away.
    The good thing. The dealer is working with you and did not say it would be two months or more before they would be able to look at it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    The good thing. The dealer is working with you and did not say it would be two months or more before they would be able to look at it.
    Yeah, still not happy about it, but is what it is. Told them after they "fix" the problem to test drive it for like 5-10 miles to make sure there's no issues.

Spyder Garage

Why didn't they take the time to test drive it after assembly?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

They said they did, but with only 1 mile on the odometer I don't think they honestly did unless they just did a circle around the block.

Spyder Garage

Wife bought a 2020 Ryker in June 2020. Worked great but in November the fan started running constantly. Took it to the dealer in Feb after things warned up. Took 6 weeks to get approval from Can-Am but apparently the thermostat self destructed and clogged the whole cooling system. After a month in the shop
    they replaced the thermostat, the radiator and the water pump impeller. All under warranty. Put another 1000 miles on it since and no issues so far. Got 5500 miles on it since last June and no other issues.

Spyder Garage

Hade the same issue with my "16 RT. No impeller in the water pump!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Every new Motorcycle delivered from our Dealership starting in the early 70's to this day shows between 7 and 10 miles on the odometer. I would not take delivery of any new Spyder or Ryker with out a signed off thural test ride.........Or its No Deal

By the way, this protects the dealership as well from the new customer trying to pull something over on the Dealer or Manufacturer...........
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Hope they fix it quickly for you.

Spyder Garage

Shop called me back. They said they damaged the water pump gear during assembly and need to order a new one. So probably not going to see it for another week.

Spyder Garage

Got my bike dropped off today and the water pump issue was fixed. I drove it for an hour.

Now as a newbie I can't find any guides on how you're supposed to setup your seating posture. I had a foot cramp about an hour in.

Spyder Garage

Shop called me back. They said they damaged the water pump gear during assembly and need to order a new one. So probably not going to see it for another week.
    At least they were honest with you - that may not speak ideally to their competence, but it does speak well of their character.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Everyone is different I suppose but I have mine set up so my foot pegs are all the way forward and my handlebars all the way back. I also load up my outside foot when turning too so my legs/feet stay active and not just resting on the pegs.
    By "loading up" I mean that when taking a left turn I push down on the outside peg with my right foot and vice versa for the other side.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Everyone is different I suppose but I have mine set up so my foot pegs are all the way forward and my handlebars all the way back. I also load up my outside foot when turning too so my legs/feet stay active and not just resting on the pegs.
    By "loading up" I mean that when taking a left turn I push down on the outside peg with my right foot and vice versa for the other side.
    I had my pegs way too close to my body I pushed them as far up as possible. That solved the foot cramps.

Put about 20 miles on it last 24 hours just getting used to it. Def a blast.

Spyder Garage

Little old skool trick on the bars - get comfy in the saddle, close your eyes, and reach out to where your hands think the grips should be. Adjust the bars accordingly. Sounds screwy, but it works.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Ah yes, the casual slacker position.

You have what I'm missing. The driver backrest. Unfortunately, no one makes one for the driver if they have the comfort seat for driver and passenger. I'm going to making my own...just need to find the right back rest pad to modify.

Spyder Garage

I'm getting the comfort seat as well, but it's on back order. Same with the aluminum handguards. I ordered a couple sling mods as well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I really like the looks of your Ryker lokiryker.

Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Today I was doing some highway driving and twice this happened to me. I got a VSS fault error and the bike went into limp mode. I pulled off the side of the road, waited a minute, restarted the bike, and the error code went away. This happened to me while I was driving to and from my destination. Guess I have to bring it to the shop again.

Spyder Garage

Got it back from the shop. 100% newbie operator error. Had my foot lightly pressing down on the brake pedal while on the highway. Was not aware the brake pedal was adjustable either so I adjusted it and problem solved. Also, the mirrors are criminally bad. The blindspot is just absolutely enormous and I have to look in the opposite mirror just to see if somebody is up beside me.

Definitely getting new mirrors.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Got it back from the shop. 100% newbie operator error. Had my foot lightly pressing down on the brake pedal while on the highway. Was not aware the brake pedal was adjustable either so I adjusted it and problem solved. Also, the mirrors are criminally bad. The blindspot is just absolutely enormous and I have to look in the opposite mirror just to see if somebody is up beside me.

Weird.The stock mirrors on my 2021 work fine.

Spyder Garage

I got the diamond shaped aftermarket mirrors and love them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why do many think that the brake being applied while still on the throttle causes a fault code? Does your car do that? Do you know of any motorcycle that does that? Do you not see the videos of people on rykers holding down the brake and doing burnouts? If there is actual proof, show it.