Spyder Garage

Default Inexpensive Daytime Running Light (DRL)

I picked up A PAIR of LED DRL's (sold in pairs only, you will only need one), handlebar switch and relay/harness kit from Amazon, about $40.00 plus tax. They are actually quite bright and look very good IMHO. I wanted a handlebar switch and relay wiring for future additions. I picked up a +12v trigger off the USB charging port. You can forego all that trouble and expense by simply wiring the light to a DRL control module (about $12-20 on Amazon).

NOTE: This mod requires drilling two small holes in the front facia for the mounting bolts.

Things I had on hand you will also want:
    M4 x 16 (2) bolts with nuts (slightly larger may also work, but be careful of the length)(the bolts furnished with the DRL are too short);
    Suitable stainless flat washers (12)(10 used as spacers to raise the DRL up off the front facia a little);
    Piggy-back spade connector and crimp-on spade connector for the trigger/switch wire if you want to trigger the relay off the USB port.

I think the pictures are pretty self explanatory.

DRL On.jpg

DRL2.jpg

DRL Mounted.jpg

DRL Harness.jpg

DRL Switch.jpg

Spyder Garage

Very nice. And............................I like the price.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Very clean install, looks factory. Personally I would have just wired it into the headlight circuit so it would come on with the ignition on, thereby eliminating the switch and having them operate like in modern cars.

I may look into installing that on mine! Thanks for the post!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a link to the kit? I'd like to put something like that on my A-arms.

Thanks
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Do you have a link to the kit? I'd like to put something like that on my A-arms.

Thanks
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't believe the mounting brackets for these DRL's could stand the sort of vibration that they would see on the A-arms.

Spyder Garage

I just realized BRP stole this idea for the 2022 Rally !!

Spyder Garage

I ordered all the parts..gonna do this next weekend. Thanks for the links and the write up!
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

I saw your post and immediately ordered the DRL suggested. Got it yesterday and installed it today. It is fantastic! It fits the space perfectly . And as we all know, bright lights save lives!

Spyder Garage

FYI...I likes this idea, but the wiring it in set me off some(under estimate my self). So I Found a plug & play harness that's perfect for this on Slingmods, it's $12.95, so yesterday I ordered
    the lights from Amazon the P&P from Slingmods. I feel that's better for my level of "expertise". I thought this might be a better option for some of you too...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    FYI...I likes this idea, but the wiring it in set me off some(under estimate my self). So I Found a plug & play harness that's perfect for this on Slingmods, it's $12.95, so yesterday I ordered
    the lights from Amazon the P&P from Slingmods. I feel that's better for my level of "expertise". I thought this might be a better option for some of you too...
    I used the harness on my wife's Ryker, it took a few minutes to install it..lol..and the light comes on and goes off with the bike, so no switch on the bars.

IMG_2229 2.jpg
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

An addition to this great idea. I ordered the lights....But didn't want to drill holes and everything. So, I used zip ties ! Works great. I've included a few pics . No drilling required .
    Quickly remove if you need to. Fasten zip ties thru bottom hole and the hole in back of bracket, using the top slot angles the light up too high. Hope it was helpful to you.IMG_2060.JPGIMG_2063.JPG

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    An addition to this great idea. I ordered the lights....But didn't want to drill holes and everything. So, I used zip ties ! Works great. I've included a few pics . No drilling required .
    Quickly remove if you need to. Fasten zip ties thru bottom hole and the hole in back of bracket, using the top slot angles the light up too high. Hope it was helpful to you.IMG_2060.JPGIMG_2063.JPG
    I used 3M body tape. It's as strong as anything out there and has worked great for us.
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red