Spyder Garage

Default 3000 Mile service on my 2021 Sea To Sky

June 26, 2021

I now have about 1300 miles on my S2S. I stopped by the dealer yesterday and asked him about my 3000 mile service. I had the first initial checkup at 600 miles where they changed the oil and filter and checked the bike out. Everything was good. I asked the dealer if I should skip the 3000 mile service, since they do all the same things as the 600 mile service and wait until my 6000 mile service comes up. They said I can wait until the 6000 mile service with no problem. Does that sound right to you guys ?

Motogordo

Spyder Garage

We have covered in detail in a couple different threads, the subject of the first service.

RECAP:

There is no 600 or less mile service for the 1330 engines. That went away with the 998 two cylinder engines.

The recommended first service is at 3000 miles. It includes a oil change, filter, and checkover.

The next service is 9,500 miles LATER, OR, once a year. Whichever comes first.

You may do whatever you like, but those are the recommendations per the service manual.

Based on what we have heard from your "dealer," they should either get some training on the product, OR, stop trying to rip off their valuable customers. Either scenario is a cause of concern, IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Dealers preying on customers because they know they will not read the manual.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

You need to find a new dealer or learn to DIY.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

How interested are you in keeping your warranty valid?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bkniters View Post
    How interested are you in keeping your warranty valid?
    Those that follow the owners manual recommendations will not have an issue with warranty. In the years of the spyder (2008 - current), I have never seen anyone post that their warranty was voided because of oil change intervals. To many oil changes are not an issue. It is the cost involved for the needless servicing "requirements" that UNKNOWLEDGEABLE or UNSCROUPULOUS dealers have been trying to foist on their customer base.

As a few keep posting...read the manual. You might find some good information there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    We have covered in detail in a couple different threads, the subject of the first service.

RECAP:

There is no 600 or less mile service for the 1330 engines. That went away with the 998 two cylinder engines.

The recommended first service is at 3000 miles. It includes a oil change, filter, and checkover.

You may do whatever you like, but those are the recommendations per the service manual.

Based on what we have heard from your "dealer," they should either get some training on the product, OR, stop trying to rip off their valuable customers. Either scenario is a cause of concern, IMO.
    Thanks for this clarification! The dealer here in Tucson, RideNow , wanted me back in for an oil change at 1000 miles. After reading the owner's manual and seeing that the manufacturer's recommendation was 3000 miles, I started to do a little bit more research.
    I prefer to do all my own service work because I don't really trust dealers.
    Thank goodness for YouTube videos also.
    Last edited by 907Guy; 01-25-2022 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Grammar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I could be wrong but with my RT service was 3000 for first then 9k

Spyder Garage

Motogordo, if it were me, evaluate the distance ridden per year. Your oil change at 600 miles, provided they used the oem type oil should continue to allow for a proper break in of the engine.

I would certainly accomplish a second oil and filter change at or around 3000 miles. Your oil will have break in particles contaminating the oil and filter. They should be drained out.

After 3000 miles, you should be safe to use the oil you plan to run for the long term. Choose wisely, and try not to deviate. From then on, accomplish your oil changes at your desired intervals, ideally not exceeding the published information contained in your owners manual.

Yes, your dealership should be watched closely. Hopefully you did not purchase a maintenance service plan contract.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 3000 Mile Service

First service on your Spyder is 3000 miles.
    DIY or have your Spyder Dealer do it. I let my local Spyder Dealer do mine. They did a good job and so I had them do the next service.
    One year later.
    Because of what I read in the operator's manual.

My manual says change engine oil every 9300 miles or 1 year which ever comes first.

Check out your Operator's Manual for more information about your Spyder.

Have yourself a great Day. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

RECAP:

:
    I read it as 1st oil change at 3k and when it gets to 9300 for another oil change. I'm not seeing the word later or words to that effect. So, its 3k 1st oil change and 2nd at 12300 ?
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    I read it as 1st oil change at 3k and when it gets to 9300 for another oil change. I'm not seeing the word later or words to that effect. So, its 3k 1st oil change and 2nd at 12300 ?
    3,000 then 12,300 then 21,600 then 30,900 then etc.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, You Tube is your friend. Dealers that want you back at 600 miles, I'd be very suspicious of that, those guys charge enough for their service without adding something to the recommendations.

Spyder Garage

Anyone know the service interval for first oil change on a 2021 Ryker 900? I have lookedat the manual and can't find interval fpr first or any oil change.
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    3,000 then 12,300 then 21,600 then 30,900 then etc.
    Ok, thank you.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Al View Post
    Anyone know the service interval for first oil change on a 2021 Ryker 900? I have lookedat the manual and can't find interval fpr first or any oil change.
    Page 91 of the Operator's Guide, third item.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S