Spyder Garage

Default Another (amazing) instance of poor fit & finish - 2020RT

If I hadn't seen this with my own eyes, I never would have believed a Can-Am employee had done something like this.

I bought a new windscreen and I had more difficulty than I should have had in getting the 2 plastic trim pieces off the OEM windscreen. They are held by 2 screws and clips at the bottom and they should have come off very easily. Well after fiddling with them for 1/2 hour I realized what was wrong. Someone at the Can Am factory put the rubber isolating pads on the OUTSIDE of the windscreen behind the plastic trim piece instead of where they should be which is between the windscreen and the cast aluminum lift arm!

Not only does this make no sense, the person who put them did not know which side of the Spyder is LH and which is RH because the 2 pieces are clearly marked. They have little bulbous sections which nest neatly into the cast aluminum lift arm and are flat on the opposite side where you place the windscreen. The trim pieces are strictly for looks to cover up 4 torx screws and their washers. I am still having a hard time understanding how anyone with such little mechanical intuition could be anywhere near a vehicle assembly line.

Hard to believe a major manufacturer could have such poor quality control and poor training of employees. My bike was bought brand new from a dealer and with less than 30 miles on the odometer. It now has just over 5000 miles. Small miracle that the windscreen didn't break in those 5000 miles.

I love my Spyder and it has given me over 5000 trouble free miles but these fit and finish issues are very puzzling and a tiny bit worrisome.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was it CAN AM FACTORY or the DEALER installed it wrong??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Was it CAN AM FACTORY or the DEALER installed it wrong??
    I don't know - Does the dealer install the windscreen when it is uncrated?

If so, then I take back everything I said about Can-Am and apply it to the dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    I don't know - Does the dealer install the windscreen when it is uncrated?

If so, then I take back everything I said about Can-Am and apply it to the dealer.
    I think that gets put on at the dealer.

Call them and ask what they do after they uncrate it.

Spyder Garage

I know on sleds and SXS when uncrated the suspension was collapsed. Dealer center lifts and attaches shocks. The windshields are also done at dealers for both. On sleds the skis are then attached along with flaps etc. if spring ordered the track is off for swaps. I watched my sled and SXS be uncrated. I am guessing spyders are the same. I bet the front fenders are even assembled by dealer because of the size of the crate. The ones I see stacked at dealer are only 4’3” wide and 3’6 tall. I watched them unload a truck and there was 2 crates side by side so legally in USA that’s only 103 inches wide. My spyder is wider than that with front wheels on and taller than 42 inches tall. I say dealer puts it on. That’s an easy brake in a crate if not. Just me thinking to much maybe.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

There's a Shawn Smoaks videothat shows a Spyder still in the crate. It looks like something Ikea would sell. My money is on the dealer and the tech who scratched it.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

RT's 2019 and prior dealer had to put on the front end. Post 2020 RT's the dealer has to put on the back end. Don't remember about he windshield of either.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't worry about the right-left problem. That seems to start pretty far up at BRP. BRP was dyslexic in the '21 RT owners manual naming the side on the right when setting in the seat (normal way all manuals that I have seen it referenced) the left and vise versa. See page 104. I have never read any manual or instruction for a vehicle that named right/left by looking at the vehicle from the front.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I watched the dealer assemble my S2S and they installed the windshield. A month or so later I installed the tall windshield from BRP and everything came off the S2S as described in the install sheet. You may have a dealer problem.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

I also installed the tall windshield from BRP after about a month and everything came off my S2S as described above agree, a dealer problem.