Spyder Garage

Default Battery issues - dead after just one day without start/charge!?

So hello everyone,

I have a 2011 rss I replace the battery with a new one bikes starts up just fine but if I go more then a day with outbstarting or a trickle charger on it when I go started battery is dead I have to give it a boost to get start once I do that she start all day long just fine.

Any help would be appreciated
    Juejue

Spyder Garage

Double check connections (add star washers), a good overnight full charge should help. Any additional lights or accessories that may drain??

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Actually I do have two music amplifiers that power my jl audio speakers and bass box all in the frunk.inwill check to see if one of those amps are staying on..

Thank you.
    Juejue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Juejue97 View Post
    So hello everyone,

I have a 2011 rss I replace the battery with a new one bikes starts up just fine but if I go more then a day with outbstarting or a trickle charger on it when I go started battery is dead I have to give it a boost to get start once I do that she start all day long just fine.

Juejue
    .... Since your OLD battery wasn't being dis-charged by those Amps , I doubt that's happening now .... It's possible the Battery wasn't fully charged ( if at all ) when you received it.... I would use a battery MAINTAINER for a couple of days to get it to Full charge .... It'salso possible the Battery is just BAD ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... Since your OLD battery wasn't being dis-charged by those Amps , I doubt that's happening now .... It's possible the Battery wasn't fully charged ( if at all ) when you received it.... I would use a battery MAINTAINER for a couple of days to get it to Full charge .... It'salso possible the Battery is just BAD ..... good luck .... Mike
    x2

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post

Well my last battery went bad to then it sat there all winter so I just replaced it with a new one. All day yesterday the bike would start just fine so today I come down and I gonto start it battery dead very low voltage not enough to start it. I had to give it a boost from a battery pack. Now I don't have any means of putting a tender on it caus ei park in the street so there's no outlet.

When I got the battery and installed it I ran the bike for a while then went for a ride wouldn't that charge the battery? Or do I need to really put a charger on it?

Please help I'm growing extremely frustrated.
    Juejue

Spyder Garage

If you are depending upon riding to charge, you need to ride for a few hours. Just going to the corner grocery and back will not do. A good full days ride should do it. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Well my last battery went bad to then it sat there all winter so I just replaced it with a new one. All day yesterday the bike would start just fine so today I come down and I gonto start it battery dead very low voltage not enough to start it. I had to give it a boost from a battery pack. Now I don't have any means of putting a tender on it caus ei park in the street so there's no outlet.

When I got the battery and installed it I ran the bike for a while then went for a ride wouldn't that charge the battery? Or do I need to really put a charger on it?

Please help I'm growing extremely frustrated.
    Juejue
    As Jim mentioned above, you really need to ride it for at least 30 minutes or so at highway speed/revs JUST to put back the charge you've taken out of your battery by starting it!! So if you haven't been ryding it for that long & with those sort of revs, you've never going to be anywhere near catching up with the draining load of starting and then properly charging it initially of the Spyders system, let alone re-charging the battery after every start!!

Come to that, unless you sat your NEW battery on a charger for 12 plus hours BEFORE installing it into your Spyder, you'll never really know if it started out fully charged in the first place!! . So it might be best to go back to the beginning and start there - put your battery on a known working charger (not just a maintainer!) for AT LEAST 12 Hours to ensure that it's fully charged to start with; then from there on in, make sure that you ride it for at least 30 mins at hwy speed/revs for each day that you run it - more if you do lots of stopping and starting during each days ryde!! Every start effectively drains it down that much! And if it STILL fails or becomes slow to start after doing all that, then you'll need to investigate further - but you may have either bought a dud 'new' battery, or possibly you've killed it by not ever charging it properly to start with; re-charging it properly after each ryde; &/or repeatedly draining it below it's 'safe limits'....

If you have & know how to drive a basic multi-meter, come back here & tell us what's happened since do ijng all that above so we can tell you how you can do some rudimentary checks with that to help diagnose it properly; or if you don't have at least a $20 multi-meter &/or know how to drive it, you could always just go to any auto-elec or battery shop & get it properly load tested & have your charging system checked & diagnosed while you're there.... your choice.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-25-2021 at 07:37 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well my last battery went bad to then it sat there all winter so I just replaced it with a new one.

All day yesterday the bike would start just fine so today I come down and I go to start it battery dead very low voltage not enough to start it. I had to give it a boost from a battery pack.

Now I don't have any means of putting a tender on it cause i park in the street so there's no outlet. When I got the battery and installed it I ran the bike for a while then went for a ride wouldn't that charge the battery? Or do I need to really put a charger on it?
    Let's break this down...

You installed a new battery and the bike started fine several times. That would deplete the battery

Then you went for a ride. If that was just a short ride of less than an hour at City street speeds, it probably was not enough to recharge the battery after starting it several times

Then, you turned it off and since you're parked on the street, you had no way to recharge it from an outlet This left it in a partially discharged state, which itself is not so bad, except it's possible the battery was not fully charged when you installed it, so now it's even more depleted

When you tried starting it the next morning, there wasn't enough juice in the battery to do so. Was there enough to wake up the electronics? Or, was it completely dead?

Assuming the battery is not completely dead (i.e. nothing turns on), you are probably going to need to give it a FULL charge. Let's say your battery is a 20ah (amp-hour) and it's 25% depleted. That means you will need to 'replace' 5 amp-hours of capacity to return it to fully charged. The typical 'battery tender' is NOT a charger; its output is typically 750ma (milli-amps) which is 3/4 of an amp. To replace 5ah capacity, the tender would have to be connected to your battery for 4/3 X 5= approx 7 hours.

A 2amp battery charger will restore your battery to full capacity in 2-1/2 hours and so on.

So, you either have to pull your battery again and put it back on the battery tender for as long as it takes for the light to turn green OR get a jump start and ride it around for several hours. How many hours? I don't know (maybe someone else does). I understand the earlier Spyders have a magneto vs alternator, which requires higher revs to put out its max potential amps (which I believe is about 30 amps, but a lot of that power is going into lights, etc)

Another possibility, if you have the resources, is to leave the jumper cables attached to the good battery (vehicle) for a half hour; that may be enough to recharge yours to about 90%.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So hello everyone,

Juejue
    The advice given by others is good .... BRP completely changed the CHARGING SYSTEM in 2014 ( the new 1330 engine ) to an ALTERNATOR system ( like your car ) .... the V_Twin engines ( like yours ) had a MAGNETO System which wouldn't even begin to RE-CHARGE your battery unless you kept the engine at at least 3500 RPM's.... Also exactly what size and brand of battery did you buy ???? .... Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I've heard of MINI SOLAR chargers that get their juice from the Sun ..... Also check out Lithium mini battery JUMPERS they arn't expensive and can get you started if the battery fails .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for your help I will take all into consideration. When I purchased the battery I have to admit it sat in my living room for a few weeks and then we just throw it in there when we first started the bike for the first time it kinda stalled then started up. The next time we tried it the electronics came on but no start we had to boost it.

So I'm leaning on the battery never really got a good 100% charged. I just rode it for 12 miles let's see what happens tomorrow. If it starts great we are going on a long ride so maybe it will fully charge..

Thank you thank all this is a great from.
    Juejue

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for your help I will take all into consideration. When I purchased the battery I have to admit it sat in my living room for a few weeks and then we just throw it in there when we first started the bike for the first time it kinda stalled then started up. The next time we tried it the electronics came on but no start we had to boost it.

So I'm leaning on the battery never really got a good 100% charged. I just rode it for 12 miles let's see what happens tomorrow. If it starts great we are going on a long ride so maybe it will fully charge..

Thank you thank all this is a great from.
    Juejue
    I really doubt that those 12 miles will have been enough to really replenish the battery much at all! Unless you rode those 12 miles at about 4,500 rpms or better, then that won't have even replenished the drain on the battery it took to start it in order to ryde those 12 miles!! You REALLY NEED to ryde at saay 40+ mph/over about 4500 rpm for 30 mins or so JUST TO RECOVER FROM THAT START - anything less is just killing your battery!

Sure, if you jump on & ryde saayy 3 miles or so to fill up with gas, then it'll probably start again within a few minutes, because you've likely put a little bit of a surface charge into the battery; but without THEN going on that longer ryde of a few hours &/or sufficient time on a proper charger, then EVERY TIME YOU DO THIS you are KILLING YOUR BATTERY MORE!!

Who knows, you may have already killed your latest 'new battery' by doing what you've told us in this thread, but if you want to have any chance of NOT having to buy ANOTHER new battery, then you need to get this one charged properly and not subject it to any more of these 'too short battery destroying' runs &/or leaving it sit overnight/for a while when it's already largely discharged! So if you can get your Spyder started without a boost tomorrow, then you need to consider that a 30 min run is NOT a long enough run to recover, it's the bare minimum that's just replenishing the charge lost from that morning's start! Given what you've told us so far, I'd guess that you probably need to spend the whole day ryding to stand any chance of properly re-charging your current battery thru ryding, IF it can even be recovered!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-25-2021 at 08:50 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I really doubt that those 12 miles will have been enough to really replenish the battery much at all! Unless you rode those 12 miles at about 4,500 rpms or better, then that won't have even replenished the drain on the battery it took to start it in order to ryde those 12 miles!! You REALLY NEED to ryde at saay 40+ mph/over about 4500 rpm for 30 mins or so JUST TO RECOVER FROM THAT START - anything less is just killing your battery!

Sure, if you jump on & ryde saayy 3 miles or so to fill up with gas, then it'll probably start again within a few minutes, because you've likely put a little bit of a surface charge into the battery; but without THEN going on that longer ryde of a few hours &/or sufficient time on a proper charger, then EVERY TIME YOU DO THIS you are KILLING YOUR BATTERY MORE!!

Who knows, you may have already killed your latest 'new battery' by doing what you've told us in this thread, but if you want to have any chance of NOT having to buy ANOTHER new battery, then you need to get this one charged properly and not subject it to any more of these 'too short battery destroying' runs &/or leaving it sit overnight/for a while when it's already largely discharged! So if you can get your Spyder started without a boost tomorrow, then you need to consider that a 30 min run is NOT a long enough run to recover, it's the bare minimum that's just replenishing the charge lost from that morning's start! Given what you've told us so far, I'd guess that you probably need to spend the whole day ryding to stand any chance of properly re-charging your current battery thru ryding, IF it can even be recovered!
    Thank you for all your help I will ride tomorrow for a while and I will be purchasing a battery tender plus charger and pulgingnitbin and leaving it alone hopefully I have not ruin the battery.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Batteryj

Lots good idea have been posted here. .....
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Batteryj

New Battery and Ready to be Installed.

Tip: #1 Make sure that your battery is fully charged.
    Voltage should be about 12.8 volts.

Tip: #2 install the star washers on the battery cables.
    You will need to buy the two 'star wahers', most
    local hardware store should have them.

Tip #3 Sooooooo, when you Ryde, be sure to go for one hour or more. This will be to fully recharge the battery. ...
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Mikes idea of a solar charger may be a good idea for you!!! They make them small and flexible that plug right into a lighter socket. I have seen people use them in boats that are on a mooring a lot with out being used a lot, you have to keep a good charge in your battery so your bilge pumps can work, or it ends up on the bottom in a good rain!! Just a thought!! Good luck!
    2012 RTL , Pearl