Thread: Some Red Dust

Spyder Garage

Default Some Red Dust

Greetings,

I was looking at the sprocket from my Spyder; I have a trip coming up of about 500 miles and was doing some maintenance work. I noticed some red dust and tried to order the sprocket; unfortunately, the sprocket is on back-order (no surprises there I guess). Reality is that I will not come across one until probably August. The question is and from the attached pictures, is the amount of red dust something to be alarmed and stop driving it or put several hundred miles and hopefully get it replaced once it's available?

Here are the links to the pictures:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wog...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DvK...ew?usp=sharing

Any help would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Check the splines first, it doesnt look bad and if theyre good just put some moly paste on them and youll be fine for more than 500 miles

Spyder Garage

Deleted

Spyder Garage

I would pull it, lube it, and ride it to Alaska!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I would say that any amount of Red Dust indicates too much play in the pulley. That said, yours is early on. I wouldn't be excited at all about riding a trip on it AS IS - BUT - the good thing is - as some others above have stated - you can pull that one off - clean it up - and use the proper moly paste to put it back together. Can you get the bolt and washer? If they aren't back ordered I'd highly recommend getting a new bolt and washer, and some moly paste. Myself and others have used the Honda M77 Moly Paste with good success. I also use nail polish (or a paint pen) to mark the bolt head/washer/pulley alignment - it's a very quick visual whenever I pop the cover off to ensure things aren't loosening up/moving around in there.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

That looks more like normal road deposits and wear than "the red dust of death" to me. I agree with the above about pulling it, inspect, and reinstall with moly paste on the spline. I too would recommend changing the retaining bolt, but I honestly don't think it's all that necessary. It's nothing special, it's just a standard high strength shoulder bolt with yellow loctite. Just a good clean and some fresh blue loctite and you're good to go.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

road grime leave it alone and ride

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    road grime leave it alone and ride
    Well maybe so, but you know getting to know your ride a little closer, some times is a good thing!! And after reading all the posts on these spent splines, it wouldn't hurt a soul to take it off and put the paste to it and put it back on!! Then you'll know for sure, right?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you know the old saying if it aint broke dont fix it

Spyder Garage

Deleted

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the replies; I had ordered the sprocket (which is on backorder) and bolt. The bolt should be shipped sometime next week but I'll ride it for now. I did look at other pictures online regarding the dust and then failure but the amount of dust is vastly different. I'll leave it alone and once the bolt arrives, I'll take it out, clean it, and lube the splines. Again, thanks a million.

Spyder Garage

I ordered one a few weeks ago. Google the part number "705503239 CAN AM" . Also get the bolt as it can be stressed. My pulley went flying into a corn field!! ANY little noise, especially when slowing down, change it. Over 20K on bike change it. I had to change it out on each 2008 I had. There are great videos, takes an hour or so using the "jack up on the bottom of the shock" technique.

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...ocket-28-teeth

Spyder Garage

You never said what year or style bike you had??
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    You never said what year or style bike you had??
    My apologies; 2016 Spyder RT.

Spyder Garage

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    I ordered one a few weeks ago. Google the part number "705503239 CAN AM" . Also get the bolt as it can be stressed. My pulley went flying into a corn field!! ANY little noise, especially when slowing down, change it. Over 20K on bike change it. I had to change it out on each 2008 I had. There are great videos, takes an hour or so using the "jack up on the bottom of the shock" technique.

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...ocket-28-teeth

Spyder Garage

What is the "jack up on the bottom of the shock" technique that you mention? Is there a youtube video on removal and replace of front sprocket? I'm interested because I may need to replace my sprocket myself and am curious about the procedure. Also I notice the reference to the 28 tooth sprocket. Is that the OEM number of teeth for a 2019 RTL?