Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I had an issue with twitchiness at highway speeds on my 19 rally…… I bought it used with 1400 miles on it and had put around 1200 miles myself before i figured it out. When i bought it, it came with the bajaron sway bar and end links and everyone said it should be stable but it just wasnt for me at highways speeds. The person I bought it from was probably 100lbs lighter than myself and he had the front shocks adjusted to 4 (firmest setting) it hugged the roads but on the highway my weight (250) and the firm shocks created a skipping along the highway where I felt every imperfection in the road….. i adjusted the shocks down to between 2 and 3 and now it doesn't quite HUG the corners as well but it feels much better on the highway, i am going to tweak it some more to see if i can find a sweet spot.

I am also tempted by elka shocks as i think it will take the whole ride to the next level but not sure if i want to spend that kinda money or trade in on an f3 that will be a better tourer and better for two up.

Spyder Garage

I believe that road surface conditions can have a profound influence over one's perception of "stability", especially >50mph.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    I believe that road surface conditions can have a profound influence over one's perception of "stability", especially >50mph.
    Tru dat! But so can the two front wheels up front that our Spyders/Rykers have!

Many people transitioning from 2 wheel 'bikes or from those even 'more insulated from the road' cages are quite surprised at the amount of 'movement' &/or 'road surface feed-back' they get on a Spyder/Ryker, but a lot of that is simply because our machines have twice the number wheels up front and maybe three or more times the size of tire 'contact patch' with the road vs most 'bikes; and nowhere near the 'insulation' from the road & environment as a cager experiences... so OF COURSE you'll get more movement/feel on a Spyder/Ryker!

Sure, it's often made worse by the poor quality tires, improper alignment, &/or the death grip on the handlebars that some get as they try to fight every little bump or twitch and FORCE their Spyder/Ryker to 'feel' & behave like one of those 2 or 4 wheeled things that it's really NOT, and that it's NEVER going to feel like!!

They might feel sorta similar to riding quad-bikes &/or some ATV's, but that's definitely only 'sorta', cos with the 'Reverse Trike' configuration and the advanced handling & stability dynamics & features our machines have, they really ARE pretty much unique in the way they ryde & handle! And it generally takes some miles for anyone to even start to get used to that! For some, it might be a couple of hundred miles; for others it might be a couple of thousand miles, and for almost all of us, that's STILL really only just the START of getting comfortable with & getting the best from our Spyders/Rykers!

They might get flashes &/or moments of it early on, but only once a 'New Spyder/Ryker Ryder' puts in the miles and practice for them to truly come to terms with all that extra & different movement we get; once they learn to loosen the death grip on the handlebars; they let their shoulders & elbows relax; use their upper body more to help weight transfer & guide when necessary but otherwise isolate it from reacting to the myriad of minor twitches & movements we get as feedback from the road; and once they learn to RELAX into it and GENTLY GUIDE their machine SMOOTHLY instead of trying to manhandle it wherever they want to go &/or force it to behave like the motorcycle it isn't, then & only then are they well on the way to achieving the true Zen of Spyder/Ryker Ryding!

So as someone somewhere once said, Patience Grasshopper, Patience!

And in the meantime, just like the rest of us, all you can really do is Ryde More, & Worry Less!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-27-2021 at 10:23 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have a Rally and adjusted my front shocks to #4 position. This tightened them up so that they don't sway, bounce, and fall into the grooves nearly as drastic as they did before. I also don't keep a tight grip on the bars. Let them bounce or vibrate when hitting these rough patches and they will stay centered.
    2021 Ryker , Black & Yellow

Spyder Garage

Got the end links on the wife's Ryker today.

Simple install, took about 20 minutes total. Seems a lot more stable too.

[/url]
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

Well, I have a couple hundred miles on my 600. Either it has settled down.....OR I have. Maybe both. I'll be going to the VA hospital on 9 July, I'll see how it does on that ride
    (unless it rains) ...FAIR WEATHER RIDER folks...

Spyder Garage

Maybe it IS a question of where he grips it.
    lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    Maybe it IS a question of where he grips it.
    lol
    It's not a question of where he grips it. It's a simple question of weight ratio! lol

Spyder Garage

So, my wife and I went riding a few times since I added the sway bar end links. She tells me it feels a lot better and less twitchy. So I took it for a spin. I concur. It is much better than stock. I took it through it's paces and can feel the difference. For the price, a very good mod in my humble opinion.
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jfuselier View Post
    I have a Rally and adjusted my front shocks to #4 position. This tightened them up so that they don't sway, bounce, and fall into the grooves nearly as drastic as they did before. I also don't keep a tight grip on the bars. Let them bounce or vibrate when hitting these rough patches and they will stay centered.
    Its interesting that you and i had opposite paths on this. At 4 mine felt flighty and twitchy. But at 2-3 feels much more stable at higher speeds. Im guessing there is a weight difference that affects this.

Spyder Garage

My 2021 900 is stable up to 95. I did not go any higher, but I feel it would still be stable.
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

Missing the MOST IMPORTANT
    Proper Laser Alignment
    and second BaJa Sway bar and links.
    Also OEM tires are complete junk and at least in earlier years there were many that were not true.
    If you need "balancers" other than no more than 4 weights on the rim you have either bad tire or wheel.
    Front Shocks will effect the speed and aggressiveness in turns - not much else.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I hit the highway for the first time on the Ryker and I felt it was fairly stable even up to 80 mph. Wind buffering is more of an issue, but I need a better windshield.

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2021 rally and had no issues with the handling. I would say that the majority of my riding so far is between 45 and 70 mph. My first 20 miles or so were a little rougher until I started to relax my grip. Feels a little loose while driving around curves, but that might just be me as a new owner. Only 200 miles on it so take it for what it is worth.

Spyder Garage

Well said! I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Tru dat! But so can the two front wheels up front that our Spyders/Rykers have!

Many people transitioning from 2 wheel 'bikes or from those even 'more insulated from the road' cages are quite surprised at the amount of 'movement' &/or 'road surface feed-back' they get on a Spyder/Ryker, but a lot of that is simply because our machines have twice the number wheels up front and maybe three or more times the size of tire 'contact patch' with the road vs most 'bikes; and nowhere near the 'insulation' from the road & environment as a cager experiences... so OF COURSE you'll get more movement/feel on a Spyder/Ryker!

Sure, it's often made worse by the poor quality tires, improper alignment, &/or the death grip on the handlebars that some get as they try to fight every little bump or twitch and FORCE their Spyder/Ryker to 'feel' & behave like one of those 2 or 4 wheeled things that it's really NOT, and that it's NEVER going to feel like!!

They might feel sorta similar to riding quad-bikes &/or some ATV's, but that's definitely only 'sorta', cos with the 'Reverse Trike' configuration and the advanced handling & stability dynamics & features our machines have, they really ARE pretty much unique in the way they ryde & handle! And it generally takes some miles for anyone to even start to get used to that! For some, it might be a couple of hundred miles; for others it might be a couple of thousand miles, and for almost all of us, that's STILL really only just the START of getting comfortable with & getting the best from our Spyders/Rykers!

They might get flashes &/or moments of it early on, but only once a 'New Spyder/Ryker Ryder' puts in the miles and practice for them to truly come to terms with all that extra & different movement we get; once they learn to loosen the death grip on the handlebars; they let their shoulders & elbows relax; use their upper body more to help weight transfer & guide when necessary but otherwise isolate it from reacting to the myriad of minor twitches & movements we get as feedback from the road; and once they learn to RELAX into it and GENTLY GUIDE their machine SMOOTHLY instead of trying to manhandle it wherever they want to go &/or force it to behave like the motorcycle it isn't, then & only then are they well on the way to achieving the true Zen of Spyder/Ryker Ryding!

So as someone somewhere once said, Patience Grasshopper, Patience!

And in the meantime, just like the rest of us, all you can really do is Ryde More, & Worry Less!
    -2021 Ryker 900