Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Was your stock Ryker stable over 50mph? If not, what did you do?

I was just venting on another post and why not just ask here (and so did another poster).
    After a couple weeks with my 2020 Rally, new, i could not ignore how unstable the machine was going over 50mph, darting slightly back and forth. Yes I went and spent 60 or 70 $$ on some end links that almost completely solved the issue but here’s my question…

Was your stock Ryker stable over 50mph?
    If it was not, did that instability cause you to buy/install after market end links and or sway bar and did that solve the problem?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Vince F
    Vince F in Niagara Falls
    2022 Spyder F3 Special Edition
    2020 Ryker Rally, sold
    2022 F3S , Stock Lamonster black diamond Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

YES !! It was, still not as smooth and steady as a two-wheeler. Changed the end links, added tire sealer/balancer to tires, got front shocks coming.
    I don't think it will be as steady at speed as my Ducati was. But it is...what it is...It's a Ryker.

Spyder Garage

Well coming from riding two wheelers all my life, and purchasing my first three wheeler last year, I too experienced the twitchyness at interstate speeds. I didnt know if it was the nature of the beast with three wheelers or not. Once I saw the end links were made of plastic, I knew that was the issue (they were flexing). I changed out the plastic ones with BajaRons billet aluminum end links, and it was so much better, like night & day. At the time I was also considering the sway bar, it helps with stability & stiffening body roll while cornering and in the twisties, but with the Rally suspension adjusted correctly, I dont have any issues with stability or body lean in the curves.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vincef329 View Post
    I was just venting on another post and why not just ask here (and so did another poster).
    After a couple weeks with my 2020 Rally, new, i could not ignore how unstable the machine was going over 50mph, darting slightly back and forth. Yes I went and spent 60 or 70 $$ on some end links that almost completely solved the issue but here’s my question…

If it was not, did that instability cause you to buy/install after market end links and or sway bar and did that solve the problem?

Vince F
    Answered in other thread. Ease up on those grips!

Spyder Garage

Yes my 2019 RYKER 900 was and remains very stable at any speed, I have had three different SPYDERS, starting with 2008 Rs very twitchy, a 2015 Sport that hated side winds, and a 2017 RT that was effected by the side winds also. I tried a test ride on the RYKER and took it home happy, still happy after 10000 miles. Much stiffer ride than the RT but much more stable at speed and tracking through the curves for me!

Spyder Garage

Grips have nothing to do with it, or rather how I grip.
    Did this fix it for you Slider?
    Vince F in Niagara Falls
    2020 Ryker Rally, sold

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Vince F
    Before thinking this is a Parts issue ..... Spyders are well known to have Alignment issues - From the factory .... this leads me to think Rykers are the same ...... MY 7 year old RT still has the plastic end LINKS and OEM sway-bar, I suggest you have it LAZER aligned by a competant Tech ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Before thinking this is a Parts issue ..... Spyders are well known to have Alignment issues - From the factory .... this leads me to think Rykers are the same ...... MY 7 year old RT still has the plastic end LINKS and OEM sway-bar, I suggest you have it LAZER aligned by a competant Tech ..... good luck .... Mike
    I'm a big fan of upgrades and never miss an opportunity to mod something, but this seems like a good first step to me.

Then buy the bad ass sway bar and end links!
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

As mentioned above, the Ryker is stable. It's many times the new rider who is not. Just the nature of the beast going from a basically numb to steering input motorcycle, to a very responsive Ryker (or Spyder). Isolate the handlebars from rider input, and you may well discover that the twitchiness goes away.

There can also be mechanical issues like alignment, tire pressures (bad OEM tires) etc. But the rider interface is the most common and most easily eliminated as a major factor.

There are things you can do to improve handling, improve tracking and traction, which will reduce unwanted movement. But that is another issue altogether.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-24-2021 at 05:18 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I test drove a 2021 Rally and it seemed very finicky going over 40mph. I bought a 2021 Rally from another dealership and drove it home 350 miles and it's rock stable on the highway. I didn't feel that constant movement like I did with the test drive Ryker. So, I don't know if it is an alignment issue, poor assembly, or what. I will still get the end links replaced to get rid of the plastic ones but I doubt it will make much of a difference for me.

Spyder Garage

NO !! - we used two Spyders before and got one of the first (2018) 900 STD Rykers - after my first test I brought it back to the dealer and told them there is something rong with the front..
    they checked the wheels and the alignment and installed the (red) stronger BRP sway-bar on it (lot of work) - later I changed the front-shocks to longer versions and installed the BajaRon sway-bar .. another step forward - makes a big difference .. our "front" is still soft but stable now !!
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

For those that answered the questions, thanks.
    It's clear (enough) it's a mechanical issue that affect some, but not all.

IMHO>>
    I'm not going to go dump more money to solve an issue that BRP should have fixed with proper assembly or engineering.
    It's not the plastic end links either.
    When I installed the SlingMods end links I couldn't help but notice how sloppy the original heim joints fit with the original hardware. The new links helped about 75%.
    A few weeks ago, I took it all back off and measured everything with a digital caliper, long story short.... the hardware, end links, bar, and lower A don't match up.
    The bar and A arm are 1/4inch (6.463mm), the original heim joints are 6.185mm. The hardware was 5.989mm.
    I went and bought 1/4in shoulder bolts and turned them down to fit original end link joints perfectly and poof, much improved even over the SlingMods links.
    Taking my measurements, over the weekend I installed end links with 1/4in hiem joints with all the proper hardware, and now... rock solid.

To end on a more positive note, I appreciate BRP has fixed several problems in production on my late 2020 model, such as... axels were painted, interior axle covers came installed, no problem with steering or rust there either it was painted and some type of plastic cover and I'm sure there are other things fixed that are not obvious.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 04:33 AM.
    Vince F in Niagara Falls
    2020 Ryker Rally, sold

Spyder Garage

Made no changes, just learned how to ride it, now have 11,717 miles. I adapted to it, didn't ask it to adapt to me.

Spyder Garage

I only have about 900 miles on my Ryker and have not seen any stability problems at any speed.

There is a lot of hype selling aftermarket sway bars and end links.

Spyder Garage

My Ryker was twitchy when new, but adjusting tire pressures made it very steady. The tire pressures at delivery were not correct. No further complaints.

Spyder Garage

The only wandering I notice on my Ryker seems to be from wind buffeting the vehicle around on the highway. Its a light vehicle and it has a fairly large profile for its weight with lots of angles and pockets on it. I feel that all of these are causing the buffeting.

Spyder Garage

Grips have nothing to do with it, or rather how I grip.
    Did this fix it for you Slider?
    Never had a stability problem. I had a death grip problem which exacerbated the twitchiness at speed. Once I eased up on my grip on the bars she smoothed out. Many members have experienced the same.

Remember, sway bars and links have very little load on them when going straight, and they are completely isolated from the steering mechanism.

Spyder Garage

I got some nice swaybar endlinks coming anyways..because I like mods.
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2021 Rally last month and I haven't experienced any "twitchy" movement on the highway or over 70 MPH. I would wonder if it is a build issue like you are thinking. I do get pushed some by the wind at highway speeds, but it isn't "twitchy" or a cause for concern. I have 823 miles on mine so far and 90% of those miles are on a four lane highway at or above 65 MPH.

Spyder Garage

In August, the wife and I are taking a 700 mile (each way) trip to TN for a friends wedding. I will be on my Road Glide, she will be on her Ryker. I'm trying to do as many sensible mods as I can before the trip to make it a great experience for her. All she's ever done on long tours was ride on the back of my Harley. This is all new for her so anything I can do to make the ride better, I am going to do.
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spygoat View Post
    I got some nice swaybar endlinks coming anyways..because I like mods.
    I have a set on the way also.I like to try things if it's an easy install which the end links seem to be.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pantera View Post
    I have a set on the way also.I like to try things if it's an easy install which the end links seem to be.
    Very easy. I wrench on everything. I've been working on my own motorcycles for years. The Ryker presented some interesting challenges. Some car-like, some bike-like, but so far, so good!
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

This afternoon I was on interstate 29 in South Dakota with speed limit of 80 miles an hour and had no issues whatsoever with my Ryker Rally. Stable as can be. I love it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    As mentioned above, the Ryker is stable. It's many times the new rider who is not. Just the nature of the beast going from a basically numb to steering input motorcycle, to a very responsive Ryker (or Spyder). Isolate the handlebars from rider input, and you may well discover that the twitchiness goes away.

There can also be mechanical issues like alignment, tire pressures (bad OEM tires) etc. But the rider interface is the most common and most easily eliminated as a major factor.

There are things you can do to improve handling, improve tracking and traction, which will reduce unwanted movement. But that is another issue altogether.
    I am going to disagree with you Ron. The real answer is that it was your anti-sway bar and end links that made my Ryker a much better ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jvclarke View Post
    I am going to disagree with you Ron. The real answer is that it was your anti-sway bar and end links that made my Ryker a much better ride.
    I agree, definitely not griping too tight. I also agree that there could be other issues going on such as alignment, tire pressures and such, but that wasnt the case with mine. Replacing the plastic end links with his end links made the difference. Ron, I know you know how good your products are, dont hesitate to let everyone else know just because its yours. Your product is selling because of word of mouth from satisfied customers, especially on the FB groups. I know because I'm one of them, and I'm over there from time to time and I hear it from people over there. Thanks again for solving the problem.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition