Spyder Garage

Default Sea to Sky Maintenance

June, 21, 2021

I love my Sea to Sky. I am just past the 1,000 mile mark. Everything is great. Just one question. Since I had my 600 mile checkup a couple of weeks ago, when is the next regular maintenance scheduled ? Is it 3,000 or 6,000 ?

Motogordo

If the first one is at 3,000 miles, then I wonder if the 600 mile service takes the place of that ? Of course it is not listed as a service, but some of the dealers do it and besides changing the oil and filter they are SUPPOSED to check a whole list of things for tightness and running properly. Do they ?????? So it's the 600 mile service then the 3,000 mile service ?
    Last edited by Motogordo; 06-21-2021 at 05:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Not having a 2021, I can't say for sure, but most models have a 3,000 first service, then the next one is at 9,000 miles. What does the manual say?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    June, 21, 2021

I love my Sea to Sky. I am just past the 1,000 mile mark. Everything is great. Just one question. Since I had my 600 mile checkup a couple of weeks ago, when is the next regular maintenance scheduled ? Is it 3,000 or 6,000 ?

Motogordo
    I have a S2S also and just coming up on 600 miles. Didn't know there is / was a 600 mile check up, what did they do / check?
    2021 Sea to Sky , cyclops light, front fender light/turn signal, rear run/brake/ turn signal LED strip, BRP floor board light Green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfrog View Post
    I have a S2S also and just coming up on 600 miles. Didn't know there is / was a 600 mile check up, what did they do / check?
    Me either…my dealer must be scheisse.
    My rights don’t end where your feelings begin.

21 Sea To Sky

2 & 3 wheels

Caged

Spyder Garage

3000 miles, page 99 operators manual. 600 mile check should be free as a courtesy check from the dealer. *Nothing in OP manual for 600 mile that I can find.

FIRST INSPECTION - 5 000 KM (3,000 MI)
    Perform all items indicated in the PRE-RIDE INSPECTION.
    Replace engine oil and oil filter.
    Check brake fluid level.
    Check reverse mechanism operation.
    Check engine coolant level.
    Check operation of control switches and passenger switches.
    Check the drive belt condition and its tension. (Performed by an authorized Can-Am
    On-Road dealer)
    Check tightening torque of the rear wheel axle nut. (Performed by an authorized
    Can-Am On-Road dealer)
    Visually check brake pads and discs condition.
    Check passenger handholds looseness.
    Check floorboards looseness.
    Check body panels looseness.
    Check operation of storage compartment latches, hinges and key barrels.
    EVERY 15 000 KM (9,300 MI) OR 1 YEAR (WHICHEVER COMES FIRST)
    Perform all items indicated in the PRE-RIDE INSPECTION.
    Replace engine oil and oil filter.
    Check brake fluid level. Replace every 2 years.
    Check brake hoses.
    Check reverse mechanism operation.
    Check radiator, hoses and water pump.
    Check engine coolant level.
    Perform a pressure test of cooling system.
    Check operation of control switches and passenger switches.
    Check condition of fuel hoses, fuel evaporation lines and canister.
    Check battery connections tightening.
    Check the drive belt condition and its tension. (Performed by an authorized Can-Am
    On-Road dealer)
    _______________ 99
    MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE
    EVERY 15 000 KM (9,300 MI) OR 1 YEAR (WHICHEVER COMES FIRST)
    Check and retighten exhaust pipe, clamping rings, joints, and gaskets condition.
    Check steering for abnormal play.
    Check tie-rods condition.
    Check shock absorbers for leaks or other damages.
    Check tightening torque of the rear wheel axle nut. (Performed by an authorized
    Can-Am On-Road dealer)
    Check ball joints condition.
    Check front and rear wheel bearings condition.
    Check brake pads and discs condition.
    Check passenger handholds looseness.
    Check floorboards looseness.
    Check body panels looseness.
    Check operation of storage compartment latches, hinges and key barrels
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BionicChewbacca View Post
    Me either…my dealer must be scheisse.
    Having just read the operators manual for my soon to arrive ‘21 RT, I do not remember seeing a service before 5000km (3000 miles). Maybe some dealers just go above and beyond. I know I had one on my ‘16 F3-L, but maybe they are no longer considered essential with the newer models?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

some dealers are just "old school" and remember the 998cc, 600 mile check up. for 1330 cc engines its first oil change and check up 3,000 miles. then 9,300 miles after that interval for oil, if you follow manual
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

There are several (well 3) references to the 600 mile break in period and things you should look for or do / not do during this time / mile mark. But you all are right there is no mention of a scheduled inspection at 600 miles. My question answered.
    2021 Sea to Sky , cyclops light, front fender light/turn signal, rear run/brake/ turn signal LED strip, BRP floor board light Green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Not having a 2021, I can't say for sure, but most models have a 3,000 first service, then the next one is at 9,000 miles. What does the manual say?
    Just to clarify a little, after the first maintenance @ 3,000 miles, the next scheduled inspection is after an additional 9,300 miles so the second would be at 12,300 miles on the odometer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Just to clarify a little, after the first maintenance @ 3,000 miles, the next scheduled inspection is after an additional 9,300 miles so the second would be at 12,000 miles on the odometer.
    YES,,,, unless you pass 1 yr interval for the oil, then it needs changed at about a 1 yr time. i don't do that, i ride enough thru out the year, that a few more months to achieve the 9,300 mile oil change not going to hurt
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Just to clarify a little, after the first maintenance @ 3,000 miles, the next scheduled inspection is after an additional 9,300 miles so the second would be at 12,000 miles on the odometer.
    YES...OR...once a year whichever comes sooner.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

When I took delivery of my 2021 RTL in February my dealer told me to pay special attention to the brakeing….if it obviously pulls left or right or any weird action to immediately bring it back…. BEFORE …. 1000 miles… cannot come into dealer with 1000.1 miles. He told me the problem would be with the rotors and would need to be replaced…at Can-Am’s expense. This is a wear item and dealer told me any wear item would be replaced free BEFORE 1000 miles on the odometer. Luckily no problems have come up yet with this vehicle and I really like it…have not reached the 3000 mile first maintenance yet. Weather slowed us down.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    YES,,,, unless you pass 1 yr interval for the oil, then it needs changed at about a 1 yr time. i don't do that, i ride enough thru out the year, that a few more months to achieve the 9,300 mile oil change not going to hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    YES...OR...once a year whichever comes sooner.
    Yes, an important qualifier.

Spyder Garage

The break-in mileage in the op guide has nothing to do with the maintenance schedule. It is simply a caution to take it easy the first few hundred miles for brake pads to bed in and mechanical parts, particularly piston rings, to begin their seating process. Dealerships who recommend a 600 mile "check up," unless they are doing it at absolutely no charge, simply think they have found a sucker whose wallet they can easily lighten.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

For all who are familiar with Shawn Smoak, he said there is no 600 mile maint. The first one is a 3k.

Spyder Garage

It surprises me any BRP dealer would be doing any unscheduled service such as a 600 mile service. Dealers around here are now booking into September. It is very difficult around here just getting the required services done vs nice to have.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

Just follow the instructions in your owners manual unless the dealer is doing it for free, that's the difference between a Dealer and a Stealer 1st service is at 3000 miles.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    It surprises me any BRP dealer would be doing any unscheduled service such as a 600 mile service. Dealers around here are now booking into September. It is very difficult around here just getting the required services done vs nice to have.
    Just a note about dealers being booked ahead for service for months at a time. JUST THINK ABOUT THAT STATEMENT????????????? I have a hard time believing that particular line...which I will call the BS meter pinging the top.

It must be nice to have sold so many Spyders that you are backed up on servicing them for many weeks or months. These dealers must be making money hand over fist. It is nice to have so much business that you can throw out whatever you don't want to be bothered with. Make the appointments so far off and difficult so that the customer will run to some other dealer if they can.

Do whatever it takes to sell someone a unit. Take them for whatever you can (another thread, another subject). Fill them up with the initial BS. EG: be sure to bring it in for that 600 mile service. It will only cost you another $350 or so. Then...when something happens that may be a little labor intense, and not profitable for the dealer, give them the BS line that that you are so busy it will be weeks or months before we can get to you. And in a lot of cases that happens to people who need emergency repairs while on a trip. Wonderful customer service. NOT!!!

Sounds like a plan to me.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-23-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Don't disagree with you. The dealers around here (two are friends of mine) sell multiple bike streams. Mine sells BRP, Honda and Harley. All of them are refusing to take service customers that didn't buy their product from them (very common practice around here by the RV and watercraft dealers; this is a high tourism area). All of them have sold all of their new products and just sell used/trade-ins until the factories send them new product. They all are faced with almost empty showrooms and over loaded service departments. I had a simple part I wanted put on my Spyder so I left it in their parking lot for almost a week until someone canceled their appointment and they pulled mine in. Conversely two local shops have recently closed their doors sighting the in ability to get parts from manufacturers as their cause (and maybe a little more than a little mismanagement).

I have been riding bikes since 1962 and I have never seen anything like what we're going thru right now. Around here it seems like all the small businesses are near the edge. My gut, and the experiences I have actually live thru, tells me the economy will have the bottom drop out of it by this time next year. If this happens, the dealers who play games with their customers will go the way of the dinosaurs.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Just a note about dealers being booked ahead for service for months at a time. JUST THINK ABOUT THAT STATEMENT????????????? I have a hard time believing that particular line...which I will call the BS meter pinging the top.

It must be nice to have sold so many Spyders that you are backed up on servicing them for many weeks or months. These dealers must be making money hand over fist. It is nice to have so much business that you can throw out whatever you don't want to be bothered with. Make the appointments so far off and difficult so that the customer will run to some other dealer if they can.

Do whatever it takes to sell someone a unit. Take them for whatever you can (another thread, another subject). Fill them up with the initial BS. EG: be sure to bring it in for that 600 mile service. It will only cost you another $350 or so. Then...when something happens that may be a little labor intense, and not profitable for the dealer, give them the BS line that that you are so busy it will be weeks or months before we can get to you. And in a lot of cases that happens to people who need emergency repairs while on a trip. Wonderful customer service. NOT!!!

Sounds like a plan to me.
    As badly as I want to agree with you, this phenomenon is the same across nearly every business type from those producing raw materials to those selling end products to the consumer. I just don't believe the labor pool has returned to normal since the covid pandemic was in high gear during 2020. I postulate a lot of the labor force remaining on the sidelines is due to generous benefits from the government (local, state & federal) but what does a retired old guy know!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    Don't disagree with you. The dealers around here (two are friends of mine) sell multiple bike streams. Mine sells BRP, Honda and Harley. All of them are refusing to take service customers that didn't buy their product from them (very common practice around here by the RV and watercraft dealers; this is a high tourism area). All of them have sold all of their new products and just sell used/trade-ins until the factories send them new product. They all are faced with almost empty showrooms and over loaded service departments. I had a simple part I wanted put on my Spyder so I left it in their parking lot for almost a week until someone canceled their appointment and they pulled mine in. Conversely two local shops have recently closed their doors sighting the in ability to get parts from manufacturers as their cause (and maybe a little more than a little mismanagement).

I have been riding bikes since 1962 and I have never seen anything like what we're going thru right now. Around here it seems like all the small businesses are near the edge. My gut, and the experiences I have actually live thru, tells me the economy will have the bottom drop out of it by this time next year. If this happens, the dealers who play games with their customers will go the way of the dinosaurs.

You may be right, but I certainly hope you are wrong!