Spyder Garage

Default Gas gauge not going to full most times?!

My 2018 F3L gas gage will only go just above the 3/4 mark most of the time this season. And my miles to empty will be at 180 or so instead of 225 or more. It will sometimes go to full then glitch down a bar or two. Today when pumping gas I kept the key on and when it was full I would pump more in till the auto shut off clicked a few times and the gage would go to full and then drop again. It did it all three times. Is my float sticking or loose ground. What do you think I should look for. I have warranty but dealer is 6 weeks out till they can look at it. I'm a good wrencher so I can take the fuel pump out if need be to check the float. Wonder if anyone else here had this issue.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

your F3 could be slightly different than my 2015 RT. but you need to keep the nozzle right at end of opening for last bits of gas. for me its ALOT of mini squirts to get more in tank. RT is a 6.9 gal I think. don't need to take apart the fuel pump or float, or even take to dealer. just try better mini squirts, with nozzle barely in metal ring
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I have found that at most gas pumps the volume of fuel dispensed, even just cracking the nozzle lever, is sufficiently forceful enough to to make it next to impossible to fill the tank without getting a lot of gas sloshed out of the fill pipe.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have it fuller than I ever had almost to the top of filler neck and the gage is 2 bars from full. I've had the bike 3 years since new and would always read full after filling to bottom of filler neck. This is a new problem and I think it is the fuel sending unit or float on it. When the tank is empty the gas light comes on at the same place as it always has. So that is normal. I still get 200+ miles to the tank. Just seems weird it would do this after almost 3 years reading full on first fuel shut off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    I have it fuller than I ever had almost to the top of filler neck and the gage is 2 bars from full. I've had the bike 3 years since new and would always read full after filling to bottom of filler neck. This is a new problem and I think it is the fuel sending unit or float on it. When the tank is empty the gas light comes on at the same place as it always has. So that is normal. I still get 200+ miles to the tank. Just seems weird it would do this after almost 3 years reading full on first fuel shut off.
    Your situation sounds like a fuel gauge issue.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I tried a test. With key on engine off. I stood on the third pegs. Rocked the bike side to side. The gage would read full for a couple seconds then drop 2 bars. I even fill to top of neck with my gas can so the fuel is as full as it can be.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    My 2018 F3L gas gage will only go just above the 3/4 mark most of the time this season. And my miles to empty will be at 180 or so instead of 225 or more. It will sometimes go to full then glitch down a bar or two. Today when pumping gas I kept the key on and when it was full I would pump more in till the auto shut off clicked a few times and the gage would go to full and then drop again. It did it all three times. Is my float sticking or loose ground. What do you think I should look for. I have warranty but dealer is 6 weeks out till they can look at it. I'm a good wrencher so I can take the fuel pump out if need be to check the float. Wonder if anyone else here had this issue.
    with ARtraveler ....My RT has the same tank capacity as yours .... I fill until auto shut-off .... then add 1.3 gals. more ( and this I check everytime I fill-up ). mine then reads Full on the digital guage ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Seems that something has changed with the bike, not the way you fill up. A long shot, but before I did any thing wrenching, I would try running some Sea Foam through a couple tanks of fuel. Can't hurt and just may help. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

My 2020RT fuel sending unit failed, and that's the way it started. After that it would go to empty after sitting over night and slowly creep up on the next ride. Dealer replaced it under warranty.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    My 2020RT fuel sending unit failed, and that's the way it started. After that it would go to empty after sitting over night and slowly creep up on the next ride. Dealer replaced it under warranty.
    My 2020 F3L is much the same. A second replacement sender unit is on order.
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

My 2013 RTS began not lighting the last bar on the digital gauge to show a full tank this year. Someone along the line mentioned to try a dose of Seafoam in the tank. Many thanks to that person because it worked. Tank was down to about 1 gallon. I added 8ozs. of Srafoam and sloshed it around then added 3 gallons of gas from a gas can and turned on the display. the gauge showed near half a tank. I turned off the key and finished filling until gas came up to the filler hole plate. Capped off the tank, turned on the key and all bars were lit.
    2013 RT-S SE5

Custom Dynamics high mount brake light
    LED rear marker lamps
    LED rear facing mirror mounted turn signals
    Homemade bright aluminum barend caps
    Leather mud guards
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Show Chrome Smart Mount backrest
    Dash mounted power point
    Prosport Performance Digital volt gauge and Digital clock
    RAM MOUNT gps mount
    XM Radio