Spyder Garage

Default What Donut gasket & where do I get one???

I have a 2009 RS, i bought a Voodoo slip on exhaust and it is too big to fit on to my trike. The dealer said that i needed a oem doughnut gasket, that one came with the trike and if i didnt still have it i need to purchase another one. Can anyone tell me what they are talking about and where can i get one please. TIA!

Spyder Garage

I dont know what the "doughnut gasket" is, but you should take a closer look to the BRP parts catalog:

http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E...8-667fe6b8cd6a

As product select "Can-Am On-Road", select your year and model, then select "Exhaust System".
    Then you should see all the parts the bike had, when it was built and maybe you can also see, what the dealer meant.

Regards
    Michael

Spyder Garage

Well some times there is a gasket between the header pipe and muffler, it looks like a doughnut with a flat side on it, it sets over the end of the header pipe, flat side towards the engine up ageist a flange, then the muffler will have a ball type of socket that go's over the rounded end of the gasket, and there are springs that hold the whole works together and makes a seal!! I would ask the shop or person that's doing this work what he did with the one he took off???? Looked at that parts break down from BRP and they are calling them slip joints and they don't look anything like I just suggested!! They are the seals between everyone of the connections on your system, you just got to know which one he needs!!! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

If I remember correctly, they were using a Honda gasket. It was alittle thicker.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t=honda+gasket
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Not quite the same thing as that one shown in the link above, but if you're looking for the fatter gasket/seal to go between the catalytic converter &/or the bell shaped flared end of one of those pipes, IIRC it's still Honda who does a fat graphite type slip joint gasket that's generally cheaper, more readily available, and fits over the straight pipe to get it to match up to that flared end pipe - altho you might hafta ream its inside/straight pipe bit out juuust a smidge (easy to do, it's a softish graphite material, not steel or even copper/brass.

Can't get a pic to post right now, and JOINT TUYAU*SLIP JOINT 707600650 is all I can see on what's left of the package/cover.... and I dunno if that's a BRP number, a Honda number, or another more generic A/mkt number.

So, apart from asking what happened to the one that came off, that's all I got.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-21-2021 at 06:52 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Hi all have a 2011 RT
    The Y joint equivalent (OEM # 707600650) - aftermarket is the Honda OEM # 18392-MAM-000

What I am looking for is the is the exhaust gasket - between muffler and headers OEM # 514053677 - aftermarket equivalent?

Thanks in advance
    2011 RT , Manuctaured my own for aux lights Pearl white

Spyder Garage

No-one's ever come up with one.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JBnLIZ View Post
    Hi all have a 2011 RT
    The Y joint equivalent (OEM # 707600650) - aftermarket is the Honda OEM # 18392-MAM-000

What I am looking for is the is the exhaust gasket - between muffler and headers OEM # 514053677 - aftermarket equivalent?

Thanks in advance
    You can still get the gasket, why are you looking for aftermarket???
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good morning. Yes, I see that you're in NZ. And Freddy is correct. There was a Honda gasket used on the GS's, between the cat and the headers, because the OEM gaskets were failing. That was not the case with the RT gaskets. They are different. I can't recall anyone having an issue with the OEM gasket that you are asking about. And actually, it goes between the muffler and the Cat, not the muffler and the headers. It is also used on snow mobiles. Typically, if a person is simply replacing the OEM muffler with an aftermarket muffler, that gasket is re-used. Or, just order the OEM gasket and be done with it. You might find a better price on eBay with somebody that ships internationally. 2011 RT. Nice ride.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 01-28-2022 at 07:25 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

This thread started with an enquiry about a 2009GS. Totally different from an RT now being discussed.

The GS has 2 gaskets where the engine header pipes fit onto a 2in/1out pipe that allows the muffler to attach

People have replaced the 2 gaskets on the engine side with Honda gaskets because they are much longer lasting.

I gather the OP is looking for the larger gasket on the muffler end of the 2 into one pipe. The OEM muffler is very large and has an integral curved pipe that slides on and over this 3rd gasket.

It depends on how the OP's replacement muffler was attached as to what gasket(s) he needs. I would very much doubt if it would be what is normally called the "Honda" gasket when talking about an '09 GS.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Theseminole View Post
    I have a 2009 RS, i bought a Voodoo slip on exhaust and it is too big to fit on to my trike. The dealer said that i needed a oem doughnut gasket, that one came with the trike and if i didnt still have it i need to purchase another one. Can anyone tell me what they are talking about and where can i get one please. TIA!
    I believe this is the gasket referred to. BRP calls it a seal, #12 on the chart.
    Also the 2009 RS has the cat inside the muffler. Replacing the muffler with aftermarket exhaust
    effectively eliminates the cat. The muffler connects to a Y pipe that connects to the two exhaust manifolds.
    This connection is where we used the Honda gold wing exhaust gaskets because they were more robust. 6500DA70-B17B-404D-A15F-B59323F21A05.jpg

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    2011 RT , Manuctaured my own for aux lights Pearl white