Spyder Garage

Question What's the process for retrieving a CE code on a 2013 Spyder ST?

Hey all - getting a check engine light on my ST. I tried to find the code through the method below but only get a blank screen?

1. Start Spyder
    2. Press Mode + Set
    3. Press turn signal cancel

9CF983CB-0200-49C9-B998-CEA1817EF62F.jpg

Is there another method?
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

AFAIK, you only hafta have the ignition turned ON to retrieve any active codes; it's not necessary to actually have started your Spyder. BUT, if you had an 'event' that threw a code & triggered the Check Engine light and you then turned your Spyder OFF, it could be that the Code is now no longer an actively occurring fault, and you may well have filed that Code in History so that it now can only be retrieved by a suitably knowledgeable tech with BUDS!!

Regardless, you basically have the correct procedure, altho I've expanded on it/clarified it a little here:

1. Turn Spyder Ign ON
    2. Press AND HOLD the Mode + the Set buttons
    3. Give the turn signal cancel button a SHORT Press

So if that's what you're doing, and the screen you pictured is the result, then you have NO ACTIVE CODES present!

That could be a good thing, or it could be due to the issue that generated a Code no longer being present, but given the Check Engine Light, it's probably just that it's a relatively minor issue - the Check Engine Light is pretty much a 'Catch All' warning indicator for those things the various Systems can't really identify or any one of a heap of things that are just too petty to bother listing in the Codes table.... Still, without context, we can't really help much with that... Can you tell us what occurred to trigger this & your question??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-21-2021 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Indicatorfor
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Absolutely nothing. I had driven about 90 miles on Friday with no issues. Parked in the garage overnight, next evening I took it to grab ice cream for the wife and I. Shut it down in the drive thru (about 5 miles from house) to not have the exhaust cause issues for person behind me. Rolled it forward off in neutral, restarted after getting food and the light came on immediately.

Since then it comes on immediately after starting
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I tried with it on and with it running.. and with key in on position but Spyder off (CE showing). Blank screen every time.

At this point do I need to take it to a dealership or is there another method of retrieving what is causing the code?
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately the check engine light seems to be a catch all for many unknowns
    Maybe it's just the ‘13ST https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...k-engine-light FYI still ongoing & unresolved The dealer tech's confused too, & even with BUDS is not conclusively any 1 thing.
    Hopefully, you can catch whatever. Please share if it does get found & resolved
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-21-2021 at 04:16 AM. Reason: :sour

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrSchaefer View Post
    I tried with it on and with it running.. and with key in on position but Spyder off (CE showing). Blank screen every time.

At this point do I need to take it to a dealership or is there another method of retrieving what is causing the code?
    Seeing that there's NO Active Code, I would think that's your only option to get it sorted at this stage.

However, if it's not stopping you ryding & there's nothing else you can see/feel that's wrong, I'd guess that you could also probably just keep on ryding until whatever is causing this shows up again - then DO NOT SHUT IT DOWN!! Take pics, check for Codes, do whatever you can to fully document & identify exactly what you were doing that might have contributed and record exactly what has occurred/shows up on the Active Code screen, etc, etc, THEN take it to a dealer!

If Bfromla's experience (see the link) is anything to go by, you just might not wanta hold your breath on getting it resolved soon! Possibly, you'll need to get used to seeing that Check Engine Light on as you ryde - just be thankful that you CAN ryde, IF you still can?!?

As I posted in that thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Not gonna help much, except maybe with the degree of concern...

Just remember that the 'Check Engine' Light might mean something sometimes; but it's also the default 'catch all' warning light that the computer will illuminate instead of saying 'What The F...!!' or 'Fudged If I Know?!' .

So when there's no active code associated with that particular light, basically it's saying that even the on-board computers have no idea what the problem is - which could mean that it's either too trivial a problem to stress over all that much or it's such a complex cascade of compounding issues that the computer just has no bloody idea of what code to choose/put up and instead, it's gone into 'auto-gibber' as a result!!

Has anyone looked at/checked the O2 sensor/s &/or their wiring leads & plugs??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

So.

We're approaching the third week with my Spyder at the dealership. It was in for a few days initially where they identified the code as a "Lean Bank" warning and suggested it was likely caused by the altitude during my South Dakota trip. They cleared the code and charged me $150 for diagnostics and sent me back home. 2 days later the CES was back on and reporting the same code (visible this time as P0174 I believe it was). So it went back into the shop where it's been for the last two weeks. They now have it narrowed to what they believe is a problem with the Purge Valve and will be replacing that under warranty.. supposed to take another 10 days or so for them to get the part, get it installed, and re-test.

Looks like maybe I'll be riding again by September?
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

So Mr Schaefer did you get your problem solved?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Before I had my Spyder repaired 4 weeks ago, I was not able to retrieve the codes on my Spyder. Mine never went into limp mode but I had the check engine light on for 400 miles. How I retrieved my codes was when I got home I shut the Spyder off with the kill switch and the key still on and I was able to retrieve my codes. This may work for you. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Hey all

Problem is solved now - code was the P1174 rear bank running lean code. Dealership replaced the purge valve and said it was good to go. CEL came on 10 miles later. I tried a canister-ectomy but CEL came on again 2 days later

Finally decided to swap the MAP sensor vacuum hoses. They weren’t visibly damaged but the one to the rear bank was so loose it came off when I lightly touched it. New hoses cost me $0.75 and about 5 minutes of time.

Two weeks and 700 miles later.. still no CEL!
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I added videos on the canister-ectomy and map sensor vacuum hoses to the How To section
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrSchaefer View Post
    Hey all

Problem is solved now - code was the P1174 rear bank running lean code. Dealership replaced the purge valve and said it was good to go. CEL came on 10 miles later. I tried a canister-ectomy but CEL came on again 2 days later

Finally decided to swap the MAP sensor vacuum hoses. They weren’t visibly damaged but the one to the rear bank was so loose it came off when I lightly touched it. New hoses cost me $0.75 and about 5 minutes of time.

Two weeks and 700 miles later.. still no CEL!

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

That is the one of the codes I was getting. I also was getting the front bank fault also. If the code comes up again, check your intake boots. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles