Spyder Garage

Default Broken Skid Plate - anyone else attempted replacement?

I just recently purchased a 2019 Can am Spyder RT Limited and in the process of lifting the front end I broke the skid plate where it attaches to the frame. I have the part ordered and was wondering if anyone else has attempted replacement.
    2023 RT Limited , Red/ black

Spyder Garage

If you're doing a replacement, it should be pretty easy. You have to drill two holes for the install, so they're already drilled.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The one that attaches to the frunk or the sides plates?

Was it the stock plate?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    The one that attaches to the frunk or the sides plates?

Was it the stock plate?
    Yes I think it’s a stock plate. It’s plastic and in the middle of the front end (underside). I’m new here and learning. I assume it may attach to the frunk.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-21-2021 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You sure nothing else got damaged?

Did you lift if from under the frunk?

Spyder Garage

Default Frunk

.... Did you lift if from under the frunk?
    I’m not positive that nothing else is damaged but I did lift it with a floor jack with a 2x10 under the frunk. I looked around and didn’t see any other damage. I took it for a ride and the front end seemed stable. Any ideas where I should look? I thought I was far enough under to get under the frame but apparently not.
    Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-21-2021 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

don't lift there anymore. if you have ramps, run up on ramps, or place pc of wood under lower A arms, place floor jack in middle of A arm to get one side up. main frame is farther back right in middle of machine. can get to it from side , not front
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do not recommend lifting from the frunk at all. Its really only held on with 7 bolts if memory services me right. Its all plastic. (3 on the bottom and 4 on the top.)

I would remove the liner and inspect for cracks and then check the upper and lower mounting areas for anything broken.. Even look at your fuse covers.

Doesn't the skid plate only screw into the bottom of the frunk?

I use the frame to lift or others use wood or ramps to get it up higher.

Spyder Garage

Default Lesson learned

Do not recommend lifting from the frunk at all. Its really only held on with 7 bolts if memory services me right. Its all plastic. (3 on the bottom and 4 on the top.)

I would remove the liner and inspect for cracks and then check the upper and lower mounting areas for anything broken.. Even look at your fuse covers.

Doesn't the skid plate only screw into the bottom of the frunk?

I use the frame to lift or others use wood or ramps to get it up higher.
    I won’t be lifting that way anymore. Will check those areas mentioned. Used the ramps after to change oil and filter. From what I remember it looked like the plastic skid plate screws to the metal frame.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-21-2021 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well good luck and be careful. Only thing metal is the frame and suspension from the rear of the frunk on back.

Spyder Garage

Default Inspection

I looked it over. Upper part of frunk is fine as well as fuse boxes. Will have to lift it to check lower bolts but so far so good. And it does look like the skid plate just screws into the bottom of frunk. Thanks for the help and guidance.

Well good luck and be careful. Only thing metal is the frame and suspension from the rear of the frunk on back.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasdog View Post
    I looked it over. Upper part of frunk is fine as well as fuse boxes. Will have to lift it to check lower bolts but so far so good. And it does look like the skid plate just screws into the bottom of frunk. Thanks for the help and guidance.
    Great. Good luck!