Spyder Garage

Default Considering a trailer

I’m in the early stages of considering a pull behind trailer for my F3L. Two questions. With all the road debris, limbs, rocks, road kill, etc how do you avoid these items with an extra two tires? It seems as if the last two paths to avoid road obstructions (under the floor boards) is now in line with the trailer tires.

Second question, It seems as if everyone with trailers love them. But this is talking to people who are using them and thus I would expect this response. However, there must be people out there who have used trailers and just didn’t care for them. I don’t want to start a “trailer war” but sure would like to hear some of the disadvantages of a trailer.

I’ve pulled various trailers with pick-up trucks over the years and even though they have served their purpose I always feel the pull, am constantly watching it, and it seems to add another dimension to the driving process. Maybe I have answered my own question.

Thanks
    Poasttown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lots of info out there. Suggest you go to this forum category and peruse what's already been said over the years.

Bottom line is get the right trailer and there won't be any issues you don't already know about (extra length, maintenance, insurance and storage)

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...pyder-Trailers
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I think the first thing is to determine if a trailer is a "want" or a "need". If you really don't need one, your better off. A trailer will eat about 3 MPGs. They also are a PITA to back up, even though you may have good experience with bigger vehicle trailers. Then there are security issues when parking at motels.

If you find you need one, they do provide a lot of convenience for gear on trips. No more tight packing stuff into small spaces and wondering if you'll have room for your needs. Loads under 400#s will tow with ease. You'll only know your towing when it takes a little longer to pass and when stopping. Road debris is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. I pulled an RT622 for over 5,000 miles behind my RTL and enjoyed having it. My current trike has more carrying capacity so I don't need a trailer. But sometimes the "wants" override common sense..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I've been pulling a trailer with a Spyder since 2013 and have logged 10's of thousands of miles towing. I had a Mini Trailer, USA (Nomad) the first year towing then I bought an RT622 and have had one since. There is no downside to having a trailer. Well, maybe one: You tend to pack too much stuff because you have the room (that's also an upside). My wife has had her own RT622 for the last four years and just recently sold it. She had a '16 F3 Limited (no top box) and just bought a '21 F3 Limited with a top box. She thinks she doesn't need a trailer anymore.

It pulls very easy and I never worry about it being back there and often times I disconnect it when we've arrived at our location. There are some who never disconnect their trailer. I've never regretted having a trailer because they are very nice to have. It stores upright in my garage and out of the way when not in use.

Good luck with your decision.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the reply’s. I will search through the old posts. Part of the fun is trying to make what is needed fit on the bike. However, leaving home two up with zero extra space sure presents challenges down the road. Decisions, decisions.

We have occasionally mailed items home to make room for items accumulated on our travels.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have pulled a few trailers for several thousand miles across the country with a few different bikes (all 2-wheeled). The idea of having the trailer hit obstacles that the tow vehicle cleared would be more important with 2 wheels, not so much with 3. Yes, your concern does have some merit, but even without the trailer, it seems that it does not matter where the roadkill is, you are going to hit it.

Others have mentioned that yes, it is a luxury. You can easily carry everything that you need. At the same time, it's a liability because you quickly adopt the idea that "oh, we have the trailer, we can take THAT, too", so you end up using all that space, too. If you are going on a ride to collect things, you need to learn to pack lighter to start with, and also learn to collect smaller "things". Or spend a few dollars and have them shipped home.

Keep in mind that here in oHIo, you will need to have plates on your trailer, and they cost just about as much as the plates for your bike. Check your insurance policy to see if a trailer is covered. Some bike policies will cover it while it is attached to the bike, but if it's stolen from a motel, it would be covered by your homeowner's policy. Good to check before it happens.

I am surprised by the number of people that say they have had no problems towing with a Spyder. My concern is the fact that the hitch is attached to the swingarm, and EVERY little bump is transmitted directly to the trailer. If you have a cooler rack on the tongue, any glass bottles in it are definitely in jeopardy. I have conversed with one member that built his own hitch that attached to the frame, I think that was a result of having his trailer tongue break due to the stress of all the bumps.

Between my motorcycle and my wife's Spyder, we have sufficient luggage capacity to not need a trailer, so we will not be exploring that option.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Deleted

Spyder Garage

Once again many valid points. We have been traveling for years on two wheels and have managed quite well without a trailer but some extra space sure looks like a positive. However, to be honest I don’t need 15 to 20 cubic feet of extra space.

As SteveW mentioned the required plate fees, possible insurance increase, tires, etc. are downsides.

I’m taking a wait and see attitude for now. An added variable to my travels may come into play (camping gear, a need for full size chairs, etc.) at which time I will reevaluate.

Thanks again everyone

Poasttown 2019 F3L

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    Once again many valid points. We have been traveling for years on two wheels and have managed quite well without a trailer but some extra space sure looks like a positive. However, to be honest I don’t need 15 to 20 cubic feet of extra space.

As SteveW mentioned the required plate fees, possible insurance increase, tires, etc. are downsides.

I’m taking a wait and see attitude for now. An added variable to my travels may come into play (camping gear, a need for full size chairs, etc.) at which time I will reevaluate.

Thanks again everyone

Poasttown 2019 F3L
    Concerning ... Insurance .... my tow behind is covered in my normal Spyder insurance ... ie. no surcharge .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

The lightest weight per strength, lowest center of gravity, is where you start. Then there is price, that should be your third, not the
    first concern.