Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2021 RTL cruise control quit

Hi ll,
    We got caught in the rain last night, not a downpour but a steady rain. While riding home our cruise control quit Everything else seems to work just fine. Seems the CC wont even turn on, like a fuse blew. That leads me to a few questions:

Is there an issue running these in the rain? I think not, but then this happened.

What / where is the fuse for the CC? I RTM, and cant seem to find anything labeled for that, maybe it’s called something different? On a search I saw a reference to right box fuse #5, but that isn’t labeled CC on my bike.

Last question for now ... I also saw a reference to a “Right J-Case fuse box” (I think thats what I read) Where is that and is there a left side J-Case fuse box too?

I know it’ll be warranty, but I’m hoping a fuse blew and it was just loose, or bad timing.

Oh yeah ... one mo thing. There was a little water in the outer fuse box cover! Not the inner one that covers the fuses, but in the outer bigger one. Is that a thing??? That could have been from washing the bike earlier in the day too.

Thanks
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Most common issue is the operator foot on pedal/or brake switch is stuck on.
    Check to make sure your brake lamps are working properly and not stuck on
    A lot have had there foot just touching the side of the pedal and it was enough to cause issues
    On page 22 on the link below it states

"Cancelling the Cruise Control
    Any of the following event will cancel
    the cruise control.
    – Pressing the brake pedal.
    – Gear change.
    – Any vehicle stability system intervention."

I do not see a listing for the CC specific fuse in the operators manual,But I know others will chime in as this has been an issue before.
    *page 128 on the link below explains the fuse box's* LeftJ case would be drivers left and right would be passenger. Jcase is just the actual fuse block.
    Remove two covers to see the Jblock or the fuse box.

https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...4-cee9c8e03062
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Regarding the water in the outer fuse box cover, my'14 outer cover gaskets look like Pierre the Knuckle Dragger did a sloppy job during assembly of the Spyder as the lower edge of both L and R covers have shown signs that a bit of water has gotten into them, e.g., a bit of dried grit and appearance there was once a bit of water. The covers come with gaskets already attached and there is no separate PN for the gaskets. I have it on my to-do-when-bored list but the inner covers both have tight seals so I am ryding more and worrying less.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Back when I had my 2014 RT, the cruise control would quite working for about 200-300 miles every time after taking it in for a service. It was as if things just went haywire after the bike was hooked up to the buds software. Never figured out what the problem was, but it always reset itself after about 250 miles. Guess it was one of those grimlins.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Do you have a trailer hitch on the Spyder?

Reason I ask is after a lot of trial and error of the cruise not working, it turns out that water was shorting across the trailer plug ( weather it was plugged into the trailer or not) causing the brake lights to stay on, and thus, no cruise control until the plug dried out.\

Some Dielectric grease in the plug (again, weather it's plugged in or not) finally fixed the issue.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Thanks all, no hitch, no stuck brake .... dunno!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take it in for warranty.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Take it in for warranty.
    Your famous words!!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

HI, just wanted to let you all know that on my ryde to work this morning the CC was working fine ... perfectly. Maybe I was addled over being caught in the rain Sunday night, I suppose that can happen, but it seems to me it wasn't working Monday evening either. Who knows, maybe if I thought I had an issue I manufactured one!

I'll keep my eye on it, but I just wanted to let you all know.

Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Still could be a brake switch ��

Spyder Garage

Or maybe spray a little wd40 in the cruse control switch it self, it may stop any water from slipping in there the next time you get stuck in the rain!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

To help close this thread, the dealer replaced the switch under warranty. Haven’t had a problem in the 200 miles since ... but I also disconnected the Spyderpops trunk lights / modulator I have hooked up. Time for a ryde, and then to plug in the module and see. Just thought I’d follow up for you all.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The CC has no separate fuse as it is all software controlled by the cluster, VSS, and ECM. You most likely had water shorting out a couple of signal terminals somewhere, maybe even in the handlebar control.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default My 2 Cents

If i understood you correctly - were you riding using Cruise control IN THE RAIN ?

Any vehicle I've ever been on the road driving (2 or 4 wheels) warns NOT to use cruise control in the rain.

I expect that Nanny would get cantankerous and react negatively- even to the point of shutting C/C off

If I'm wrong - somebody out there correct me -Please.

l

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ATGATTER View Post
    I expect that Nanny would get cantankerous and react negatively- even to the point of shutting C/C off
    If you hydroplane Nanny shuts off CC instantly.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ATGATTER View Post
    If i understood you correctly - were you riding using Cruise control IN THE RAIN ?

Any vehicle I've ever been on the road driving (2 or 4 wheels) warns NOT to use cruise control in the rain.

l
    Well ... you are the first I think to mention that, but yes. in the rain .. nowhere near a driving rain, but yes it was raining at one point. I checked in the operators manual, and you are correct ... "Never ride with cruise control activated ..... in adverse weather."

Spyder Garage

Default *** Update March 2022

So ... absolutely no cruise control now. It's already in the shop, so we will see. Whatever was acting up may have completely died. No error codes ... just no cruise control.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0123 View Post
    Well ... you are the first I think to mention that, but yes. in the rain .. nowhere near a driving rain, but yes it was raining at one point. I checked in the operators manual, and you are correct ... "Never ride with cruise control activated ..... in adverse weather."
    " Never ride with cruise control activated .... in Adverse weather " has nothing to do with the electrical or mechanical functions of the device ( due to Weather )..... It's merely a CYA to prevent accidents / loss of control for what you are driving .... Mike My old Toyota van has the same advisement .....
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-25-2022 at 03:03 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They have built in safeties that will turn it self off.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. I’ll keep you updated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0123 View Post
    So ... absolutely no cruise control now. It's already in the shop, so we will see. Whatever was acting up may have completely died. No error codes ... just no cruise control.
    What exactly were you doing when cruise control quit?? As trikermutha mentioned (and bluewoo earlier ) they have built-in safeties that will either turn it off immediately (if the Nanny/VSS detects any wheel speed differences, even just a tiny bit of rear wheel spin in the rain on the wet road; the yaw sensor reports an imminent flip or spin; applying the brakes; cornering too hard/fast; etc; etc) or that will prevent it from even engaging in the first place (too high a gear selected for the given road speed/revs; brake pedal still depressed; brake pedal not returning to off position properly; etc; etc...)

So there are things that aren't necessarily failures or even issues that might be stopping your cruise control from working &/or engaging/activating the way you expect it to - telling us exactly what you were doing when your cruise control issues/concerns first occurred & then when it stopped completely juuust might help us identify if any of these things may have come into play??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-26-2022 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Bluewoo too! ;-)
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I've never had a problem w/ my cruise, but it's sensitive enough that bumping the (shifter) paddles will disengage it.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Mine will set but not resume. Trying to bump the switch upwards just cancels the cruise. I assume it is the switch. Where is a good place to get a new switch?
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Mine will set but not resume. Trying to bump the switch upwards just cancels the cruise. I assume it is the switch. Where is a good place to get a new switch?
    Sorry, but it's not that simple. The switch is part of the handlebar switch cluster so is not available by itself. Also, the cruise control is all software based with mostly printed circuit board switches and a few mechanical contact switches, for signal inputs. The right side switch connects to the left side switch module, which has a processor board in it and communicates, among other things, the cruise control commands via digital signals over Canbus to the Engine Control module, the Vehicle Stability System, and the Transmission Control Module. Since your Spyder is a 2012 the first thing to do is be brave and open up the right hand switch module and see if you can clean the contacts for the cruise button. If that doesn't work, or you find something broken inside, your best bet is to look for a used switch module.

2014 Copper RTS