Spyder Garage

Default red dust on front sprocket - what do I tell the dealer?

I have been reading the post on the red dust issue on the front sprockets. I just went out to check my wifes F3L and found red dust on the front sprocket. I do have the BRP extended warranty.

I cannot seam to find any post that talk about what to say to the dealer about this issue? Since I still have a warranty I do not want to fix the issue myself. I am looking for advice on how to approach the dealer and BRP to have this problem fixed. I did read a post awhile back that mentioned that one dealer said it was not an issue but other posters said their dealers understood and fixed the problem.

Thank you in advance for your answers and guidance.

John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revrent View Post
    I have been reading the post on the red dust issue on the front sprockets. I just went out to check my wifes F3L and found red dust on the front sprocket. I do have the BRP extended warranty.

I cannot seam to find any post that talk about what to say to the dealer about this issue? Since I still have a warranty I do not want to fix the issue myself. I am looking for advice on how to approach the dealer and BRP to have this problem fixed. I did read a post awhile back that mentioned that one dealer said it was not an issue but other posters said their dealers understood and fixed the problem.

John
    The dealer will probably not do anything about it since it needs to fail in order for warranty to pick up the bill. I replaced mine for peace of mind and placed it on my maintenance list. all you can do is to try the dealer, see what happens.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I would just take it back and ask them to check it out, at best they will take it apart inspect and lube the splines and reinstall it to spec! If they are a good dealer they already know the issue out there, weather they do it for free, well you will find out what kind of dealer you have there! Ask the question and see what there answer is, if you don't agree with the reply, then do it, if you can, yourself! But what you do know is that it needs to be done, if it hasn't gotten to far you may be able to just lube it and watch it! But if the teeth have been banged up replace it with the new sprocket! Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Totally depends on the dealer and how well you know them. Some ignore it till failure or claim it's a wear item not covered. Some take it off, clean it up, inspect, coat the shaft with moly paste and put it back on. Some replace it under warranty.

I would be happy with either option 2 or 3.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Take a picture and say four words to the dealership, "Fix it, new sprocket." Be prepared to be told they're on back order until hell has a frost warning.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revrent View Post

John
    I just went through this issue. I called my dealership and they gave me an appointment 2 weeks out (6/15). When I got there, they said they would check it out. They told me that out of the hundreds of spyders that they service, they only had one sprocket to fail and one that had a transmission failure. The majority of the issue was from no lube on the splines that the sprocket is on. They took it apart to clean and check everything. The splines were perfect, but there was a very little wear on the pulley. He put the new lube on it and explained that it would be fine to ride. But since I did have some extended warranty left, he decided to order a new pulley and said he would call me when it was ready around mid July. To my advantage, I appear to have a good service department, even though I did not purchase my spyder from them. They took care of my 2014 RT, and have done well with my 2016 F3T.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have had three front sprockets replaced by three different dealers. None had failed at the time. All showed the red dust and I said “I want a new sprocket and bolt.” All were replaced during my extended warranty. If I have to have a fourth sprocket it will be on my dime.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red