Spyder Garage

Default Tires and Ride-On

Anyone put Ride-On in their Kenda-REPLACEMENT tires?

Reason I ask…. I had added it to my spin-balanced tires on the GL1800 Gold Wing trike.
    Female person here.. rides alone often in rural areas with intermittent cell phone service so I wanted a little safety factor as concerns tires.

One obvious plus factor after having added the motorcycle formula Ride-On to all 3 tires on the trike was how nicely balanced the tires were…I could ride down the interstate at 70mph, take my hands off the handlebar and wave my arms above me… it continued straight down the road until it met an anomaly in the road which would sidetrack a little.

I have not replaced the Kendas yet..still too new… but am thinking ahead.

Anyone?
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    Anyone put Ride-On in their Kenda-REPLACEMENT tires?

Reason I ask…. I had added it to my spin-balanced tires on the GL1800 Gold Wing trike.
    Female person here.. rides alone often in rural areas with intermittent cell phone service so I wanted a little safety factor as concerns tires.

One obvious plus factor after having added the motorcycle formula Ride-On to all 3 tires on the trike was how nicely balanced the tires were…I could ride down the interstate at 70mph, take my hands off the handlebar and wave my arms above me… it continued straight down the road until it met an anomaly in the road which would sidetrack a little.

I have not replaced the Kendas yet..still too new… but am thinking ahead.

Anyone?
    ... when the kenda's wear out ( rear might go 7 to 10000 mi. ) think about replacing with Auto tires ..... plan ahead for putting them on if your dealer won't ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

No .. But I do have Ride-On auto formula in my car tire equipped F3. Work great

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I called Ride-ON when I first was looking at buying the product. They told me..and it is written in their data online…in the trike section….that even though I had car tires on the trike they recommended using the motorcycle formula as, upon penetration from an object or cut, the motorcycle formula seals much faster than the auto formula and they feel a motorcycle needs the quickest sealing it can have to maintain control. Luckily I never had to experience an almost flat..
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I have Ride On in my tires, I put it in the OEM Kendas and also in the replacement car tires. It works pretty well as a tire balancer ofter the spin balance. I have not had a flat that I am aware of.
    My only complaint with the Ride ON is if the bike sits for more than a week or two the Ride On settles to the bottom of the tire and it takes several miles at moderate speed to redistribute it. There is considerable tire hop until this has happened.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I called Ride-ON when I first was looking at buying the product. They told me..and it is written in their data online…in the trike section….that even though I had car tires on the trike they recommended using the motorcycle formula as, upon penetration from an object or cut, the motorcycle formula seals much faster than the auto formula and they feel a motorcycle needs the quickest sealing it can have to maintain control. Luckily I never had to experience an almost flat..
    That advice was given because they have no clue that your Motorcycle doesn't have REAL motorcycle tires on it ..... I would use the product that is for the item it claims to fix .... if your Auto tire is a few pounds off it isn't Critical not even for a couple hundred miles......jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Used Ride-on on all my two wheel motorcycles. Love the product. Going to place it in my 2014 RTS SE6 tires.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Is Ride-On a tire sealant? If so we have had good luck with PermaShield Tire Protection. It doesn't move in the tires if the vehicle sits for long periods of time. There are a number of videos on this product on YouTube you can view.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    That advice was given because they have no clue that your Motorcycle doesn't have REAL motorcycle tires on it ..... I would use the product that is for the item it claims to fix .... if your Auto tire is a few pounds off it isn't Critical not even for a couple hundred miles......jmho .... Mike
    If I could agree more than 100%, I would. Mike is EXACTLY Right!

Because of the small volume of air in a motorcycle tire. And because riding a motorcycle tire low on air, or having it go completely flat can have catastrophic results. Plus, the relatively small motorcycle tire is much easier to balance than a much larger, heavier car tire. So, the priority for a motorcycle tire is quick sealing, not balancing. To get the quicker seal, the balancing feature suffers greatly. I've used both versions in my Spyder. In short, you can pretty much kiss off any balancing expectations from the motorcycle version. Regardless of what the 'Experts' at Ride-On say.

It is interesting that for many years, Ride-On recommended their car tire version for the Spyder. I think their legal beagles decided that if the tire said 'For Motorcycles Only' as do the OEM Kenda's, they might have some liability issues if someone tried to sue. This change in advice from Ride-On came about the same time as BRP's crusade to intimidate tire installers with liability warnings if they installed a 'Car Tire' on a Spyder. I am sure this increased their OEM tire sales. But not a good customer service move.

Car Tire Ride-On seals quickly enough to keep you safely on the road with little to no negative effects, and does a much better job of balancing the tire than does the Motorcycle Tire version. The Motorcycle version has little to no balancing effect on a Spyder/Ryker tire. One last advantage, the Car Tire Ride-On is cheaper!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-23-2021 at 12:54 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

.Yes… the Ride-On rep understood and knew that my Gold Wing trike had car tires on it.
    .I questioned him about putting the motorcycle formula in the car tires and he fully understood.
    .He told me that they recommended putting motorcycle formula in the car tires on the trike because it will help maintain more control of the vehicle more quickly than the car tire formula. Since the rider is more exposed to possible bodily injury due to a wreck caused by a flat tire than possibly a car driver the quicker reaction time was recommended.
    .I have not checked their website since 2017 when I bought the motorcycle formula but at the time they had a trike section which gave advice about the trikes and use of Ride-On which is why I called them and specifically asked them if I had read it right that they advised putting motorcycle formula in the car tires of the trike.
    .He assured me that was indeed the advice they were giving. He said yes you can put the car formula in the car tires but they felt the motorcycle formula gave an edge of sealant reaction time over the car formula.

Spyder Garage

.Yes… the Ride-On rep understood and knew that my Gold Wing trike had car tires on it.
    .I questioned him about putting the motorcycle formula in the car tires and he fully understood.
    .He told me that they recommended putting motorcycle formula in the car tires on the trike because it will help maintain more control of the vehicle more quickly than the car tire formula. Since the rider is more exposed to possible bodily injury due to a wreck caused by a flat tire than possibly a car driver the quicker reaction time was recommended.
    .I have not checked their website since 2017 when I bought the motorcycle formula but at the time they had a trike section which gave advice about the trikes and use of Ride-On which is why I called them and specifically asked them if I had read it right that they advised putting motorcycle formula in the car tires of the trike.
    .He assured me that was indeed the advice they were giving. He said yes you can put the car formula in the car tires but they felt the motorcycle formula gave an edge of sealant reaction time over the car formula.
    He is correct that the motorcycle version will balance more quickly after sitting for a long period than will the car tire version. Because the car tire version is more viscus than the motorcycle version. This means the motorcycle version will also go out of balance (pool at the bottom) more quickly than will the car version. But the 'Out-of-Balance' effect on the Spyder is nothing more than an annoyance, and will go away in about 5 miles or so. I have found it takes several days for this to occurr, which, admittedly, may be the case in most peoples riding experience.

But I don't see it creating any real hazard. Again, I think it more a CYA (and possibly reduces customer complaints about the OOB condition) than anything else.

Go with the MC version if you want. Just do not expect any dynamic balancing effect.

Spyder Garage

So when this is introduced to the tires should the wheel weights be removed immediately or wait till it’s been driven on for awhile?
    My rights don’t end where your feelings begin.

21 Sea To Sky

2 & 3 wheels

Caged

Spyder Garage

My tires/wheels were always pre-balanced before I added the Ride-On. Never any issues..

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

does nitrogen in the tires affect the ride-on?
    can ride-on be used if you have TPS install (Fobo2)?
    2020 Limited , Metallic Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by natray View Post
    does nitrogen in the tires affect the ride-on?
    can ride-on be used if you have TPS install (Fobo2)?
    When mentioned in previous threads, nitrogen in tires is not any more useful than regular air. I don't remember the actual %, but air is mostly nitrogen anyway. Why pay extra for something that is not necessary???

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    When mentioned in previous threads, nitrogen in tires is not any more useful than regular air. I don't remember the actual %, but air is mostly nitrogen anyway. Why pay extra for something that is not necessary???
    Unless you are racing, Nitrogen in tires is (to be kind) more of a marketing effort than any real benefit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Unless you are racing, Nitrogen in tires is (to be kind) more of a marketing effort than any real benefit.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What is the situation like when you need to remove a tire that has Ride-on in it?
    Does it create an ugly mess for the tire tech?
    Does it screw up TPM's?

Spyder Garage

Ride-On does not make a mess. Stays solidly in the tread area. Not supposed to affect TPMS.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like this thread. Always used Ride-On in my GW before I owned my 20 RTL. I need to get busy with Ride-On in my Kenda's. I'm thinking, is this gonna be a bear install on the rear? That valve stem is difficult access for air.

Spyder Garage

You'll have no issues, as the supplied hose is long enough. Get the tire off the ground, get the valve stem on bottom of tire, deflate, remove valve core, warm up the Ride-On under hot water and squeeze in. You'll have no problems.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Troop, never thought about the warm water method.