Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Where I am in upstate NY, a lot of people do the typical 2 finger acknowledgement. There are more and more however that don't bother. It doesn't matter to me either way. I signal back if they signal me. I have noticed about 50% of Harley riders don't acknowledge me passing by. But again, it doesn't matter to me. To each their own.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I acknowledged EVERY bike I passed with the inverted V (keep both tires on the ground) when I rode two wheeled - I will continue to do so while I am on three.
    If they choose to ignore or not respond - that is their decision; I will have performed my karmic duties by wishing the best for them.
    No different than telling other riders to, "Ride safe" when parting company.

I base my actions on what is proper for me - I do not deviate from what is right based on the attitudes or behaviors of others.
    2021 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Cool

Wave to all on two or 3 wheels. Because I also ride the poor, old. slow V-Max I used to give the 2 down wave. With the 2014 RT I give the 3 down wave to all---- now even when I'm on 2 wheels ( muscle memory) Most everyone waves back--- no sissy waves here.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I try not to let it bother me, but it still does. Other riders on 2 wheels giving the "sissy" wave to spyder riders. I used to ride on 2 wheels, but now my left knee wont hold a motorcycle up, so I ride a spyder. It is my way to still enjoy riding. If you know someone who does the sissy wave, please explain why some people ride spyders. I hate giving the one finger wave back. Im too nice of a person for that.
    It must be an upper east coast tradition that is not observed in the Midwest….. Covid Residue.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I have to say, I get more waves from Harley riders while on my F3 than ever did on my Indian Vintage.

Spyder Garage

Arkansas is very biker wave friendly. The one percenters ignore us of course, the occasional Beemer rider, and always the crotch rockets. With us, it's all ok.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDan View Post
    I acknowledged EVERY bike I passed with the inverted V (keep both tires on the ground) when I rode two wheeled - I will continue to do so while I am on three.
    If they choose to ignore or not respond - that is their decision; I will have performed my karmic duties by wishing the best for them.
    No different than telling other riders to, "Ride safe" when parting company.

I base my actions on what is proper for me - I do not deviate from what is right based on the attitudes or behaviors of others.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Muscle Memory.......

Cruising the neighborhood in my golf cart which I do most evenings. Two bikes coming from the opposite direction. Without thinking I give them a wave as we pass each other. One was a Beemer and the other was a HD (I think). Dog-gone if they didn't wave back!!!!!

There are nice people all around us..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I try to wave at all 2 & 3 wheelers, scooters. little kids on side walk, Guys mowing their yards, Cop cars,etc. Unless I'm in a sharp curve needing both hands. Many wave back (especially kids) and if they don't, that's their loss. Guess I'm friendly. Never seen this sissy wave before.
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

For me the important thing is "the greeting" itself. The form it takes doesn't bother me much.
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

I wave to everyone, if they wave back fine, if they don't who cares.
    The best one though was when I had my Buell.
    Out for a Sunday morning ride when I can across a group of wannabe outlaws in a empty lot.
    Waved as usual, the four girls waved back, two young asses flipped me the finger, one older guy waved and the other older guy gave the young guys a cuff up the back of the head.

Spyder Garage

I always wave to little kids, they get so excited. Remember they are the next generation of riders.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Everyone needs to remember one very important wave. When passing LEO use all 5 fingers.
    2020 Spyder RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Chrome

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Me ??

I usually wait for the other rider to wave. And when they do, I usually give an open palm greeting in the wind, which means I don't do the traditional "2-fingers down" or "3-fingers down" or "Peace Sign" or "Middle Finger Salute" or whatever is en vogue these days.

And if they don't wave at all, I don't get butt hurt and post about it in a public forum. Being in the wind and lost in my thoughts are what it's all about ....
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Oh, and when I'm stopped at a red light, if I see a driver in a car wave or give me the thumbs up because I'm on the Spyder (which happens more than times than I can remember), I usually give the Hawaiian "Hang Loose" sign as shown in my sig pic.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

I've seen all sorts of waves and "thumbs up" and head nods, but never this "sissy wave". If I had seen someone doing it I would not have even thought about it beyond that's just another kind of wave. What makes it a "sissy"? Since switching from 2 wheels to 3, I do notice fewer return waves than in the past, but so what? I wave to everyone, even bicycles and mini-bikes. Just yesterday I even got a wave from a guy in a Jeep Wrangler, and I waved back.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    Where I am in upstate NY, a lot of people do the typical 2 finger acknowledgement. There are more and more however that don't bother. It doesn't matter to me either way. I signal back if they signal me. I have noticed about 50% of Harley riders don't acknowledge me passing by. But again, it doesn't matter to me. To each their own.
    I have ridden for many years, and Most Harley guys won't even give a sign to another Harley guy.... LOL
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2022 at 10:09 PM. Reason: ...have rode?!? :-/ ...have ridden! ;-)
    2011 RTS Spyder

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Friendly Hand Wave

.....I give most bikers an 'Open Hand' wave. (As if I was going to shake their hand.) I have tried to give children a wave or two. They are the bikers of tomorrow.

I always try and wave to anyone who has wave to me.
    Let's Keep America 'Friendly'.
    God Bless you and your family.

Tomorrow is another Day. .....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-25-2022 at 03:02 AM. Reason: shank = shake ;-)
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I've never seen this so-called sissy wave, and I've been riding for almost 20 years and across 3 states (California, Arizona, and Georgia). I do the same arm down, 2-finger wave I've always done and 90% of riders do the same--no different on the Spyder than on 2 wheels. For whatever reason, people on crotch rockets are always the majority of the 10% who don't wave (and that was true when I rode cruisers).
    '22 Spyder RT in Hyper Silver
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

I could care less, I just hope every driver I pass and including myself makes it to wherever they’re going & they get there safe.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2023 at 08:34 PM. Reason: they're ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wave is the casual 5-fingers but I wear gold-color leather gauntlets so it's visible! I also have a pair of red-color shorties for my red Aerostich riding suit. No boring black for me.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I had a woman show me her boobies yesterday,,, granted it was my wife getting in the shower but I saw her boobies.

Way to many of you are anal about waving getting a wave, how about you focus on your riding and worry less about the person going the opposite direction.

Also way way so many Harley haters on this form, I can guarantee if you were broken down it would be a Harley rider that would stop to lend assistance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    Way to many of you are anal about waving getting a wave, how about you focus on your riding and worry less about the person going the opposite direction.
    Wave and ride on, Stop counting fingers!

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Many riders where I am don't even bother to wave. Mostly those on Harley's. I could care less if they wave though. It's a tradition that seems to have run its course.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue