Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I have been riding two wheels for years and have seen the sissy wave a few times. I’m new to Spyders with only about 1500 miles now but I have been surprised by how many two wheelers wave at me. To me it looks like almost as many wave at the spyder as a two wheeler.
    2023 RT Limited , Red/ black

Spyder Garage

My goodness, if all I have to do on a very relaxing ride is worry about somebody waving or not, or the type of wave they give me, my priorities are in the wrong place. Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. That’s what it’s all about.

Spyder Garage

I am sorry if sissy waves bother you .My point is I will not let small (attitude) people effect the enjoyment of my ride.

RIDE ON THERE IS MORE ROAD OUT THERE TO ENJOY

Spyder Garage

Without hard data to prove anything, my observational, untallied data indicates the same number of people waving at me on my STS as on my GW. Harley riders, ape hangers, etc...no difference. My best guess? 95%.

On a somewhat unrelated note, my Spyder is regularly the most popular vehicle at gas stations and rest stops...even with an assortment of two-wheelers and hot cars present.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

Lived in NY all my life. Rode for 20+ years before my accident.(non cycle related). Couldn't care less about another rider waving back. I just figure it's the right thing to do. Back when I started riding, the low wave was to let oncoming riders all was well, have a safe ride, where a tap to the top of the helmet was to warn oncoming riders that the law was ahead. Worrying about getting a wave in return? Really? Guess some just are super sensitive.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

While I haven't experienced the sissy wave I did experience something strange/wrong at a light about a month ago.

I pulled up to do a left turn at a light, 2 Harley's with women passengers are in the left turn lane perpendicular to me.

One of the women starts to point at me saying something to the driver so I wave being the friendly type and the female passenger waves back.

Driver slaps her hand down and starts yelling at her. I guess she wasn't allowed to be friendly.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Lived in NY all my life. Rode for 20+ years before my accident.(non cycle related). Couldn't care less about another rider waving back. I just figure it's the right thing to do. Back when I started riding, the low wave was to let oncoming riders all was well, have a safe ride, where a tap to the top of the helmet was to warn oncoming riders that the law was ahead. Worrying about getting a wave in return? Really? Guess some just are super sensitive.
    Sometimes, it makes one wonder. It does not make me mad or upset, just makes me wonder.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I will re-post the following "wave" by brands item that has been posted from time to time. It's just a fun thing and in no way implies that this is the "way it is." A little bit of humor to lighten things up.

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
    9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
    8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
    7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
    6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
    5. Angry because they just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
    4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
    3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
    2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
    1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
    9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
    8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
    7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
    6. The espresso machine just finished.
    5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
    4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
    3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
    2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player,
    seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
    1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:
    10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
    9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
    8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
    7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
    6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
    5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance
    themselves while standing on the tank.
    4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
    3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
    2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
    1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
    9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
    8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.
    7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
    6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
    5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
    4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
    3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
    2. You haven't been properly introduced.
    1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Top Ten Reasons Why Dual Sport Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Vibration of knobby tires prevented the rider from taking his hand off the bars.
    9. MX style safety gear was too bright to see you wave.
    8. His front fender prevents you seeing him wave back.
    7. Was too busy configuring his GPS/Enduro Roll/Fish Finder.
    6. His rain/wind/thorn/bug/bird proof thousand-dollar jacket won't allow it.
    5. Was too busy re-arranging his 500 pounds of soft-sided luggage.
    4. Doesn't recognize a wave in any language other than German.
    3. Too busy splitting lanes/filtering through traffic.
    2. One handed wheelies are not easy.
    1. On single-track trails you stop, not wave.

Top Ten Reasons Why Spyder Ryders Don't Wave Back
    10. They'll NEVER be able to find the horn or turn signal again, if they move their hand on the grip.
    9. They keep a "Death Grip" on the bars in case of the dreaded DPS failure.
    8. They were too busy trying to figure out how to change playlists on their I-Pod.
    7. They were "Bluetoothing" with their dealer regarding the latest farkle delivery.
    6. They couldn't find the "Auto-Wave" Button. (Hey; It's a Limited!)
    5. Their passenger was distracting them with some nonsense about "Having to stop for a break"...
    4. They were mentally rehearsing the "explanation", that they'll need to give their Spouse for the
    last Farkling episode.
    3. They were trying to remember the best way to cross Nebraska. (Answer: while asleep, in the back of a van!)
    2. They were too terrified to take their eyes off of the display; lest the dreaded "Orange Screen of Death"
    make an appearance.
    1. You crossed paths while they were setting the cruise control, changing the voice on their GPS, raising
    the windshield, and changing the volume on the radio.

Top Ten Reasons Why Conventional Trike Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Their arms were too tired to raise... no power steering!
    9. Your "Unusual" configuration has them confused. They thought you were going the other way!
    8. They just had hit a pothole, and felt their first bad "Head-Shake". They're not letting go of anything!
    7. They are lost in thought: How much is their Trike worth on trade, for a new Spyder?
    6. They're still laughing at themselves for trying to put their feet down at the last stoplight.
    5. The last time they waved at a "foreign" bike; their riding buddies made them buy the beer!
    4. Didn't know WHAT you were, as you went by.
    3. They only wave at conventionals...
    2. They thought that their passenger waved... (She was asleep!)
    1. The glare from all of the chrome had them momentarily blinded.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-30-2021 at 11:06 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I wave from my Spyder to acknowledge other riders on 2/3/or even 4 wheels. And even 18 wheelers.
    Bottom line is, I wave for me and it doesn't matter if they wave back, or even see me wave (I don't even look to see if they wave back!).
    It makes ME feel good, I watch the road, and I ride on with a smile on my face ..........

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

Thanks ARTraveler for the added humor. One thing left out..... I ALWAYS wave at LEOs weather they are on 2 wheels or not. Hopefully they find it as a gesture of thanks. That is the spirit by which it is given..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Thanks ARTraveler for the added humor. One thing left out..... I ALWAYS wave at LEOs weather they are on 2 wheels or not. Hopefully they find it as a gesture of thanks. That is the spirit by which it is given..... Jim
    Heading in towards town or the city, I generally only wave at bikes &/or people I know; heading the other way, I usually wave at most people, cos that's what us Ozzies do in the bush (altho there is a well founded rumour going around that it's often just cos we're waving the flies outta our eyes! )

And I too usually wave at just about every LEO I see - lots of them cos I know them personally, others often cos they're so excited to see me and are already waving madly at me!

But I do wonder a bit about why that second lot always have one of those odd hair-dryer things in one hand?!? It seems to make it so hard for them to wave properly and keep it pointing my way?! Still, I always wave cheerily as I go by - unless I'm already past of course, then I try to give them an 'I'm sorry, going too fast' wave towards my rear vision mirror. They get so excited when I do that. Just like blipping the horn at little kids on the roadside as I pass - soo happy & excited!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-30-2021 at 04:36 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Hmmmm, never experienced a sissy wave. Most bikers here wave regardless what you ride, even the Bandidos wave.
    MrBill
    Las Cruces, NM
    Got Chile? Red or Green?
    2015 Spyder RT
    1980 Suzuki GS750ET, still scares me!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Juice View Post
    I wave from my Spyder to acknowledge other riders on 2/3/or even 4 wheels. And even 18 wheelers.
    Bottom line is, I wave for me and it doesn't matter if they wave back, or even see me wave (I don't even look to see if they wave back!).
    It makes ME feel good, I watch the road, and I ride on with a smile on my face ..........
    Right there with you O J!!
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Regardless of what I've ridden, and the country, I've always found the only ones that consistently don't wave or make some insulting gesture have all of the following characteristics:
    1. Its a weekend (normally a Sunday)
    2. and its a main highway
    3. and the bike is obviously more polished than ridden
    4. and its within 50km of a city or town

i.e. Weekend warriors who talk big but don't actually enjoy the riding part of motorbikes:-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Regardless of what I've ridden, and the country, I've always found the only ones that consistently don't wave or make some insulting gesture have all of the following characteristics:
    1. Its a weekend (normally a Sunday)
    2. and its a main highway
    3. and the bike is obviously more polished than ridden
    4. and its within 50km of a city or town

i.e. Weekend warriors who talk big but don't actually enjoy the riding part of motorbikes:-)
    I think you're on to something there!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

This has been a great post!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I wave at anybody, even scooters. That's just who I am. Nine out of ten wave back. My wave consists of a moderately low, 3 fingers down with my ring and pinky folded up into my palm. (Three fingers for trikes). Never heard of or seen a sissy wave. But, if I got one from a beautiful woman while fluttering her eyelashes, I would sure reciprocate..... Jim
    I do the same, only I curl the thumb and pinky finger into the palm
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

I wave at all bikes, if I don't get a wave back, so be it. It is mostly the hard core looking HD riders that dont wave back. When I had my HD I waved at all bikes not just two wheelers. There are other things in life to worry about than someone not waving back.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-19-2022 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Removed extra numbers?! Finger trouble??

Spyder Garage

Never experienced it!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

You can always do a "Harley wave:" Keep both hands on the grips and look straight ahead.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    You can always do a "Harley wave:" Keep both hands on the grips and look straight ahead.
    I think I have had more Harley guy's give a wave, than the cafe guys!!! Maybe they are afraid the will go face first in the tank!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Post panzy wave

Sounds like trolling; Where I live we have a little of everything from weekend seat huggers to hard core club chapters. They all get the same 'left hand down' either open-palm or index-finger pointing down as a "wave" since I can remember. The only reason those two are the "signals" to use is that they aren't used by the old hand-signal list (if you don't know what those are, maybe a little history would be fun(?). Every single one has always returned the courtesy in kind, with the exception of a few young ones on rice burners one Saturday afternoon. I met up with them in town around happy hour time and asked them why they didn't acknowledge it. The one guy said that he thought I was trying to tell them there was something on the ground so they all looked down. After I explained the reason for it, they were surprised and thanked me for informing them. Every time I've seen that crew since, they all throw out their hands long before I get a chance to. I'll have to meet up with them again and tell them that it isn't necessary to put your arm out at distances of like 500 yards and then hold it there until I'm 500 yards past them - I'm not a flag officer! LOL! But in all my 50+ years in the wind, I've NEVER seen anyone throw a panzy wave like that one.I wouldn't be surprised if you wouldn't get spoken to by someone if you did.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 F3 L , Stock Plugs (COILS, NOT WIRES!) Stock Brake Pedal Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Some don't know what it is, others think it's an "old guy" thing, and still others just figure that, since the other bikers don't initiate it with them (and sometimes they are right!), that they just won't do it because it's not what "they" do. Most folks where I live know what "left arm straight down with either open palm or index finger pointing straight down" means. We've got all kinds here, and they understand what courtesy means, even if it's not what you "do". There is more than one 1% club here and, while they stay clear of each other as much as possible, the rest of us try to be as courteous to them as possible, and they reciprocate in kind. Even when I rode with a club, we would never ignore someone who waved correctly, but if we ever got some strange version like that nonsense, we probably would stop and have words with them.

Spyder Garage

I live along the hwy, when I'm cutting the grass on my tractor I'll give the biker wave to bikers going by, most wave back.
    When I'm out on the spyder I'll wave to anyone , most wave back. When going through a town, I like to wave to people that are on mobility scooters, normally get a big smile and big wave back.

Spyder Garage

It's the way of the whole world any more, AR. If I wave at you (regardless of what kind of "jump up and down, flip my visor up and down 10 times, blow the horn, throw confetti" craziness I happen to think of), and you DON'T wave back, then you need to be given some kind of 'kindness ticket' and be branded as a mean person. Folks are drinking a bit too much of the kool-aid from the ministry of truth...