Spyder Garage

Default How should I Wash my Spyder - 2020 RT?

Ok, dumb question. How to wash 2020 RT? Is it ok to get water in/on/through dash. Specifically the speaker screens. I have a garage door opener in there. I think it’s water proof, just curious. Where does water drain out when it gets in there. Mainly the question is how much water can get in there?

Thank you

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I would think as long as you don't directly spray high pressure water into the screens, you will be OK.

If you get caught in the rain, that area is gonna get wet, so I would think it would be reasonably water proof.

As for where the water drains, I believe it just falls down. That is what it looked like when I had the screens off
    to install my GPS yesterday.

Exco

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
    I would think as long as you don't directly spray high pressure water into the screens, you will be OK.

If you get caught in the rain, that area is gonna get wet, so I would think it would be reasonably water proof.

As for where the water drains, I believe it just falls down. That is what it looked like when I had the screens off
    to install my GPS yesterday.

Exco
    Thank you. I figured as much but I wanted to ask to be sure. I baby this thing because I never thought I would spend so much money on something like it. I had a Honda shadow phantom before this.

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Why would you want to wash it yourself, let somebody else wash it for you. Just ride thru a car wash, make sure it's brushless though.
    Cheers!
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I use Maguires ultimate car wash which also has carnauba wax in it. Works great.

I guess were dealing in semantics here and I should clarify by saying I might wash my bike two or three times a year. I clean it up at least once a week by spraying water from a spray bottle and using a soft towel which takes off the bugs and dust.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beerandchips View Post
    Ok, dumb question. How to wash 2020 RT? Is it ok to get water in/on/through dash. Specifically the speaker screens. I have a garage door opener in there. I think it’s water proof, just curious. Where does water drain out when it gets in there. Mainly the question is how much water can get in there?

Thank you

Steve
    Dry.
    Get a foamer (https://www.chemicalguys.com/torq-sn...r1/EQP323.html), use a wash mitt to wipe everything, rinse gently. Dry. Viola! If rain can get to it, soap won't hurt (though I do avoid soaking the speakers).
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Default F11

Thank you

Steve
    I have a 2010 Can Am Spyder RT, and I NEVER "wash" it. (LOL) Instead, I use something called F11. It is a liquid that you just spray on, and wife off immediately. It's a little on the pricy side, but it is well worth it. It does a great job on EVERY part of my Spyder, even the windshield. It not only gets bug guts" off the bike, but it also creates a coating that makes it shine for ever. There are other brand/types, but F11 is my "go to." I've "attached" a picture

Hope this is Helpful,
    Doc AMVETS RIDERS LA66
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wash my spyder like my car soap and water. never had a issue yet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DocAMVETS View Post
    I have a 2010 Can Am Spyder RT, and I NEVER "wash" it. (LOL) Instead, I use something called F11. It is a liquid that you just spray on, and wife off immediately. It's a little on the pricy side, but it is well worth it. It does a great job on EVERY part of my Spyder, even the windshield. It not only gets bug guts" off the bike, but it also creates a coating that makes it shine for ever. There are other brand/types, but F11 is my "go to." I've "attached" a picture

Hope this is Helpful,
    Doc AMVETS RIDERS LA66
    My experience is "most" of the "spray and shine" type products work as you say. Done regularly, it is easy and the Spyder is ALWAYS shining
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I wash my spyder like my car soap and water. never had a issue yet.

Same here! Although, besides soap and water baths, I'll alternate using Meguiar's Car Wash too. As to the windshield and lenses, it's strictly soap and water. The dash and seats are washed with a damp cloth. Then after washing & rinsing, I have a small leaf blower that I blow it dry with along with using Chamois towels. Works great for getting all the water out of the cracks and crevices. Just like going to the Car Wash.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Love my F11 and bugslide. I just put some Torque ceramic coating on my new 21 RT limited. Smooth as a baby's bottom

2017 Can Am Spyder F3-Limited

Lamonster front fender LED light kit, Madstad adjustable windshield, Lidlox Helmet Lock, Techmount phone mount

Previous 2015 Can Am Spyder RT-SE6

Bajaron Sway Bar w/links, Rivco Dual trunk mounted flag poles, Custom Dynamics Long Amber Brightsides, Custom Dynamics Long Red Brightsides, Custom Dynamics LED RT HMT Brake Light w/Magic Strobes Brake Light Flasher, Techmount phone mount

Spyder Garage

When I bought the Spyder F3s, I had a friend of mine put a coating on it, He also does all my cars, he's a professional cardetailer, It's called glasscoating, and it's making a beadshield.
    I wash my spyder with a high pressure warm water cleaner, an dry it with a leafblower, no cloths needed. Coating needs to be re-applied after three years.

It's expensive, but imho well worth the money, it makes cleaning cars and bikes much and much easier, even after a roadtrip, my spyder looks the cleanest off the bunch...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DocAMVETS View Post

Hope this is Helpful,
    Doc AMVETS RIDERS LA66

I use S10 on my BMW. I wonder if it is similar to F11. By the way I "wipe" mine off but I think I will try to get mine "wife"ed off.

Spyder Garage

Washed it last night. Used Maquires (sp?). Got it clean. But, also put a pedal commander on it. This morning on my commute to work the speakers are cracking....bad...loud. I took the side cover off when it was still running and the speaker is vibrating with the engine and doing the cracking thing. Not happy. Thoughts????

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

..... But, also put a pedal commander on it......... I took the side cover off when it was still running and the speaker is vibrating with the engine and doing the cracking thing. Not happy. Thoughts????

Steve
    Try disconnecting the Pedal Commander again to see if that resolves the speaker noise issue?!? I can't see WHY it should, but aside from the washing thing, that's the last thing you did so it's obviously a potential cause?!

As for the washing thing, you really should try to avoid doing that - I do, cos it really causes nothing but grief, and you can waste sooo much good ryding time besides!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Washed it last night. Used Maquires (sp?). Got it clean. But, also put a pedal commander on it. This morning on my commute to work the speakers are cracking....bad...loud. I took the side cover off when it was still running and the speaker is vibrating with the engine and doing the cracking thing. Not happy. Thoughts????

Steve
    Lose wires? is the speaker lose or just vibrating with the rest of the dash?
    2021 Sea to Sky , cyclops light, front fender light/turn signal, rear run/brake/ turn signal LED strip, BRP floor board light Green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfrog View Post
    Lose wires? is the speaker lose or just vibrating with the rest of the dash?
    What I mean by vibrating is the signal of the engine is going through the speakers like it is an audio signal. Not the mount or the speaker as an assembly vibrating.
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

My ride gets washed every time I'm out in the rain. I wipe the bugs off with diluted dish soap and microfiber rags as necessary to see thru the screen.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

With soap, water, and a little elbow grease. How would you wash your car or truck? Don't make anything more of it than it is. These things can be driven in the rain, wind, snow, sleet. etc...just like our vehicles can. Just wash the dang thing. And no, don't use a pressure washer
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    With soap, water, and a little elbow grease. How would you wash your car or truck? Don't make anything more of it than it is. These things can be driven in the rain, wind, snow, sleet. etc...just like our vehicles can. Just wash the dang thing. And no, don't use a pressure washer
    I did wash it just like I would wash a car. NOT using a pressure washer and lightly sprayed around the dash area. Far less than a good rain shower would give it. You know what I got? Two days of crackling speakers. So loud I was embarrassed every time I was at a traffic light. I was freaked out about it. I would NEVER ride this thing in the rain now. I have zero faith in its resistance to wet. 24000 dollars! I have a love/hate relationship with this thing. So many red flags.
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

So...any suggestions on how to wash under the seats and top case? I have a 2021 F3 Ltd. I learned how to raise the top case and passenger seat. There is a lot of dust from a long out of town trip. There are wires and such under them...with a car, I have used a car wash power washer on the low pre-wash and then rinsed...see the pic and maybe I can get this new baby of mine cleaned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoumanPIBE View Post
    So...any suggestions on how to wash under the seats and top case? I have a 2021 F3 Ltd. I learned how to raise the top case and passenger seat. There is a lot of dust from a long out of town trip. There are wires and such under them...with a car, I have used a car wash power washer on the low pre-wash and then rinsed...see the pic and maybe I can get this new baby of mine cleaned.
    If it was mine, I would get a soft brush, even if it was a old paint brush, soap and water, with a soft spray, LIGHTY AND QUICKY spray scrub and rinse! Let it dry in the sun, and go get it dirty again and repeat!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

@Mikey...yeah, I believe I will use the gentler method as you suggest. Now I think about it, I knew better. LOL

Ugh...I am frustrated how BRP built the F3 Ltd with a top case which can be separated BUT note easily removed from the bike as I was told. I noticed the dirt and stopped my brain for the day.

I asked the dealer to order me a rear fairing / fender so I can put it where the top case goes when not in use. I am going to start another thread asking for ideas...there are a few things making this a pain...there is an approx 1" threaded belt / cable / wire...I don't know what it is for sure, but also a single black wire and the way the top cases arms connect to the bike. It looks as if the passenger handle bars need to be removed, but again at this time IDK for sure. You can see some if it in the pics above.
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!