View Poll Results: Which 1-up long distance model?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • F3 Limited

11 55.00%
  • RT Limited

9 45.00%
    Spyder Garage

Question F3 Limited or RT Limited???

I plan on buying my 1st Spyder sometime this fall (I live in SC). 99% of my saddle time on the Spyder will be solo and with no trailer. My plans are to do many long distance rides up & down the east coast as well as a trip to CA next year. So I’m looking at serious road trip time on a Spyder. As a 1-up rider, am I looking for a F3 Limited or a RT Limited?

I’m looking for advantages/disadvantages of one over the other especially for long distance rides (other than price). Does the F3 Limited have enough storage space for a solo long distance trip?

Thanks in advance!

Spyder Garage

Both the 20+ F3 & RT models have plenty of storage for 1-up touring. The RT has a few more creature comforts over the F3 like electric screen, floorboards, and more protection from the weather.

I just returned from a 13 day 1-up tour on my 20 RT Base (no top case) and brought enough base layers for 7 days. I packed a mesh jacket, heated jacket, and too many merino wool layers as well as tools, 1st aid, jump pack, compressor, bike cover, laptop, sneakers, jeans, and lots of 'on-road' stuff.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The RT has a few more creature comforts over the F3 like electric screen, floorboards, and more protection from the weather.
    F3L does have floorboards
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

There is an saying that really holds water....Pack half the clothes and twice the money. Heck, the wife and I have gone to Europe taking only what we can pack in carry-on and a "personal" bag. Having decades of MC touring, without a trailer, has helped us to know what's needed and what ain't. It helps if you aren't a clothes horse and realize the folks in the next town don't know what you wore yesterday.
    Having said that, our F3L holds all we need. It helps if you don't use the fitted bag liners. The key is "layering," make every item of clothing do double or triple duty. Don't pack anything bulky.
    Now, about which bike. The best thing to do is sit on them, then test ride them. They do differ in those respects. I went with an F3L because it fit me better, I like the lower seating and the sportier handling. Since I do all my own maintenance, I like there there are way fewer panels to have to remove and that maintenance items are easily accessed. I like that the gas cap is on top of the tank. We don't have self serve here in Oregon, but riders are allowed to do their own filling. If I don't feel like getting off the bike, the attendant hands me the nozzle and takes care of the transaction. You have to get off an RT and lift the saddle to fuel up.
    Decisions, decisions, eh?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RT hands down. Adjustable windscreen, better weather protection, more storage space, more comfort(2020+ models). But the F3 will get the job done also.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

I have had both versions. The RT version I had three different ones. The original 2010 RTS Premier version, The 2011 A & C version. And the 2014 RT-S version. The 2010 and 2014 were close to the L version, but had plastic instead of real chrome and no Garmins or luggage.

Our last two are F3L's. One dark version and one chrome version. I actually do not miss the electric windshield. Still have floorboards, and although we don't have the higher capacity of the RT for storage, we found them to be sufficient on our trip to Hot Springs. We bought Hopnel soft bags. Have a set of four for each F3. Only used three of four. One saddlebag was empty on each one.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-19-2021 at 06:03 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Having had both, in my own experience, I want the F3. I like sitting “in” the F3 rather sitting “on” the RT. I’m in no way convinced the RTL holds more stuff than an F3L. Test ryde both and discover which fits your comfort level best,
    Then pack what you want and hit the road. Typically, regardless of the available space, the stuff you take will fill it up anyway.
    And, by all means, enjoy the miles travelled.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

I use to think I would love to have a F3 because you sit down into it, compared to the RT where you sit up on it!! But now they have come out with the new style, to me there's not that much of a difference to me, ride style that is! The models do have different kinds of accessory packages throe, and only you can decide what you need or want from them! I myself do not hold much need for the auto air ride feature, would rather set my own air pressure for the load I may be carrying, when the compressor craps the bed on you, your ride will go to crap on you!! Keep it stupid simple! I love the adjustable windscreen, heated grips in the fall and spring! Adjustable wind deflectors! Arm rests for the bride! Ect,ect, but like buying a car they don't really make a perfect package with just all that you want and nothing more, so you have to make the compromises and plain on farkling the snot out of it after you get it just because!!! That's really the most fun of the whole thing next to riding it!! Good luck in your decision!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slugger103 View Post
    I plan on buying my 1st Spyder sometime this fall (I live in SC). 99% of my saddle time on the Spyder will be solo and with no trailer. My plans are to do many long distance rides up & down the east coast as well as a trip to CA next year. So I’m looking at serious road trip time on a Spyder. As a 1-up rider, am I looking for a F3 Limited or a RT Limited?

I’m looking for advantages/disadvantages of one over the other especially for long distance rides (other than price). Does the F3 Limited have enough storage space for a solo long distance trip?

Thanks in advance!
    Treat yourself to a 2 day CanAm driver Education Course at a Dealer to have the ability to test drive every model and make an educated decision on your own. Only you can decide what fits you.....try it....you,ll like it.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue