Spyder Garage

Default Meet, Greet, and Eat with BLUEKNIGHT911 aka Mike

I headed to Vermont this last Wednesday to spend 3 days gathering points for the two Grand Tours I am participating in this season. The GLMC theme is Scenic Highways and Teamstrange's spots are based on the Butt-Lite rallies of past. Given all that I knew Mike, known as BLUEKNIGHT911, lived right in the heart of where I was going. I contacted him via private message to see if he wanted to meet up for a cup of coffee somewhere just so we could meet in person.

Mike offered his home for my couple nights stay which I took him up on. I offered to take him out to dinner, which he offered choices of meals for the 2 nights I would be there and insisted it would be better than any restaurant in the area, which there are quite a few.

I can not say enough good things about his hospitality for the two nights I was there. I felt at home the second I came into his home and never felt out of place. He meals, one of curry the other of shrimp scampi where simply outstanding.

The next day Mike followed me around patiently as I stopped during our 210 mile romp stopping along routes for road signs of scenic byways, a visit to the 45th parallel memorial in Richford, VT and places on the National Register of Historic Places. Most people would be inpatient with my shanigans of stopping so often on roads, not necessarily in the safest spot either, to capture a point here and there. Not once did Mike show any impatience and joined by pointing out some signs I may have missed.

I offered to buy him lunch which he refused, simply stating that I was HIS guest and it was not necessary to offer any sort of payback or feel the need to do so. He was more than happy to offer his home and cooking with no expectations other than I was to enjoy it. Somewhere on Lake Champlain we filled our tanks and told the attendant I was paying for both of our fill ups, which Mike said that was absolutely not necessary. The only way I got away with paying for his gas, was to say "let me do this so I don't fell guilty about the free ride I was getting".

I led most of the way on Thursday, but Mike took over at the base on VT-17 which is the road over the Appalachian Gap, a difficult road to ride at any speed due to the switchbacks and steep grade. Lets just say we would have been awarded Performance Certificates if there were any LEOs sharing the road with us. I have to say Mike is a SUPERB Spyder rider (I am sure he is equally adept on 2 wheels as well) as he ascended and descended the gap. I sort of stayed up with him, but I think he was not going a his full potential level and making sure he did not lose sight of me in his mirrors.

Mike's hospitality is second to none. If you ever have a chance, don't miss the opportunity to meet Mike in person. I guarantee it will be a memorable experience. I know it was one of the best motorcycling experiences I have had over the last 15 years since it took up riding again.

Willie

Couple pics from the day.

Mike waiting while I take a picture of the a Scenic Byway Sign.

Rouses Point Railroad Station in New York

At the top of the Appalachian Gap

The route du Jour
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

WOW, I'm at a loss for words, and that doesn't happen often. That was a very generous write-up. ( but it was all true ) .... Bill was an excellent guest and riding partner .... not many can keep up with me on RT 17 ( Vt's version of the Dragon ) but HE Did . And I know He enjoyed my food, just from the amount He ate.... We really lucked out on the weather, which was about as close to Perfect as possible. 68 to 78 degree's almost clear sky's. And folks here will now know what I look like, that's not me in my avatar ( nice pics - but that's no surprise He's an excellent photographer ). Again Bill for the kind words ..... I could say lots more but I actually try to keep my comments short and to the point ( I can't type anyway near as well as Peter does ) PS, how's that FRUNK release working ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    WOW, I'm at a loss for words, and that doesn't happen often. That was a very generous write-up. ( but it was all true ) .... Bill was an excellent guest and riding partner .... not many can keep up with me on RT 17 ( Vt's version of the Dragon ) but HE Did . And I know He enjoyed my food, just from the amount He ate.... We really lucked out on the weather, which was about as close to Perfect as possible. 68 to 78 degree's almost clear sky's. And folks here will now know what I look like, that's not me in my avatar ( nice pics - but that's no surprise He's an excellent photographer ). Again Bill for the kind words ..... I could say lots more but I actually try to keep my comments short and to the point ( I can't type anyway near as well as Peter does ) PS, how's that FRUNK release working ........ Mike
    The MacGyver, or as I say the Mother of Invention cure to the Key Fob Blues works like a charm.

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

My wife, Sue and I spent 4 days riding the area with Mike as our guide. We had a great time. Mike prepared 2 Great meals for us. He is a very good cook. Two summers ago I went on a donut run from Maine to Vermont. MIke again offered his home for the night and again cooked a great meal and fed me breakfast too boot. Mike is a great host and guide. Thank you Mike. Bruce and Sue.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a neat thread, doubt I will ever get that far north from FL but I'm thinking Mike would certainly be worth the meet up. Thanks for the thread and the pics Willie.
    Wm aka Willie at times :>)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great write up and outstanding pics. Thank you for both.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Great write up and pictures. Now I have a face to associate with that great avatar. It is great to have guests stop in.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    The MacGyver, or as I say the Mother of Invention cure to the Key Fob Blues works like a charm.

Willie
    To me the ignition key should only do one thing ... start and stop the engine .... asking it to pull cables is asking for trouble .... I'm glad I could put one on for you ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

And I always thought you were so cute. Now I know better.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post

Willie
    I hope you were able to get some good pics of Mike's inventions and workarounds to show us, and maybe augment what he has posted in his albums
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Surprised the frunk Spyder has not blown off. You must have used Gorilla glue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Surprised the frunk Spyder has not blown off. You must have used Gorilla glue
    Nope on the glue .... I wanted it easily re-movable, for washing etc. .... T had some 300lb. test fishing line ( like for Great Whites ) ... I tied it around the body and then around the latch plastic inside the hood. I can simply take off the loop under the hood and remove it. The fishing line is almost un-cuttable, I know one person tried ( and failed ) ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nope on the glue .... I wanted it easily re-movable, for washing etc. .... T had some 300lb. test fishing line ( like for Great Whites ) ... I tied it around the body and then around the latch plastic inside the hood. I can simply take off the loop under the hood and remove it. The fishing line is almost un-cuttable, I know one person tried ( and failed ) ..... Mike
    Still amazed it holds on there. Normally everything that's not bolt down get blown away on a motorcycle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Still amazed it holds on there. Normally everything that's not bolt down get blown away on a motorcycle.
    Get a piece of string ... and some small object ( stuffed toy ) and do what I did .... my spider doesn't move much even at 80 mph ..... Mike

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did something similar back in the 80's when the Simpsons came out. On my old 88 dodge dakota sport I used fishing line to have a stuffed Bart Simpson sitting in the middle of the light bar with his hands holding on to the lights.

I think he held up better than my Can-Am OEM Drivers backrest.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I'll second Mike's riding skill. I spent a very enjoyable few hours several years ago chasing him around southwest Missouri and northwest Arkansas at Spyderfest.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited