Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Code P0127 - is it just too hot?

It’s been hot hot in Vegas, 110 and got code 0127, air too hot out of exhaust manifold.
    Ambient temp reading on spyder was 125.
    Do you think it’s simply too hot or have possible issue?
    Coolant temp fluctuate up to 6 bars, sometimes brief 7 then comes back down to 4.
    It takes 10-15 minutes of continuous ride in 110 degree weather to trigger the code.
    Thank you in advance.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

According to my reading, that code, P0127, is because the Air INTAKE Temperature is too high, not the exhaust manifold?!? And if that's the case, then it's just cos it's bloody hot out!!

I've seen it here in Oz quite a few times, and it's generally not a biggie - effectively, it's just cos the Spyder has been either parked in the blazing sun for too long; or it's been ridden in the heat, then shut down for a short while, usually while it's been left sitting in the sun, and heat soak has significantly increased the under-tupperware temps such that the air intake temp is too high. Sooo, starting it (if you can! ) and then running it at low/medium revs while ryding gently for a minute or so will usually fix it; but if necessary, rolling it into the shade &/or putting a sun-shade type cover over it, maybe even just blowing some cooling air into the vents/air intake ducts will sort it PDQ!

Personally, my 2013 RT (the model with the real under-tupperware heat issues! ) has never left me stranded - if I hafta shut it down while it's in the blazing sun & leave it for anything between about 1 minute to 30 minutes, then I get that warning. But, at least for me, so far it has JUST been because the air INTAKE temp is bloody hot, so starting it &/or getting some cooling air/air flow under there has sorted it pretty much straight away. Those I know of who've been either too scared or unable to do that 'start &/or air/air flow' thing have had to wait up to a couple of hours for the under-tupperware temps to drop, but none have had any lasting issues - well, none that we've found yet!

So try not to park your Spyder in the blazing sun on hot days, especially not when it's already warmed up from a reasonable ryde, and you probably won't see that code ever again. If it's hot enough that you do, then maybe you need to think about carrying some cool/cold water that you can pour over the tupperware &/or around the region of the air intakes, just to help bring the temp of the intake air down a little! And it might be worth asking yourself if you should be ryding in those sorts of temps too?!?

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you.
    I wonder if fresh air from outside to air box would help.
    I have factory airbox without the extra crap(air intake is right at where filter is). But at 110 degree weather…
    I guess it might still be better than air intake being in semi-engine compartment.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    Thank you.
    I have factory airbox without the extra crap(air intake is right at where filter is). But at 110 degree weather…
    I guess it might still be better than air intake being in semi-engine compartment.
    I have pics of what I did on my 2014 RT .... that tube / pipe goes directly into the airbox .... it's gets ambient Air and no heat from the engine .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    Thank you.
    It may be helpful & should help your engine run more efficiently, but it won't necessarily stop that code & warning from popping up if the 'under-tupperware' temps get too high, simply because the 'air temp sensor' is buried down in there under the tupperware somewhere! So you're back to trying not to parking it in the blazing sun on hot days, especially not when it's already warmed up from..... I'm sure you get the drift - see my previous post!

And check out Mike's album too, that direct ambient air from outside the tupperware to the air box can only be a good thing!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went for morning ride in cool 105 ambient temp and no fault code! So it looks like it was simply too hot like you guys have mentioned. No code, coolant temp steady at 4 bars.
    And yes I will look into fresh air pick up.
    Thank you.