Spyder Garage

Default Oil change question - any inexpensive sockets for the oil filter?

Has anyone come up with a inexpensive socket cup to the oil filter?

Spyder Garage

Amazon for less than $10 or I think it was about $12 at Advanced Auto.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

If you are talking about the tool to remove the Oil Filter Cover Assembly on the 1330 ACE engine it is a 36mm socket available from a variety of sources, amongst them amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=36mm+sock...s_ts-doa-p_1_4. The torque spec for the cap is 18lbft +/- 2 lbft.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

that 36 MM socket is good to have..................for oil cap....................and bolt/nut on rear tire
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I use a Channel Lock pliers.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    that 36 MM socket is good to have..................for oil cap....................and bolt/nut on rear tire
    Just don't get the aluminum version.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I use a Channel Lock pliers.
    That would NOT be something I'd recommend.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    That would NOT be something I'd recommend.
    Why not? Adjusted correctly, a cloth over the plastic, judicious amounts of torque and VIOLA! I find the pliers easier to apply than a variety of 36mm wrenches I have. There's not a mark on the cap. But what ever appeals to you and does the job for you, I am all for.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Why not? Adjusted correctly, a cloth over the plastic, judicious amounts of torque and VIOLA! I find the pliers easier to apply than a variety of 36mm wrenches I have. There's not a mark on the cap. But what ever appeals to you and does the job for you, I am all for.
    I believe he was referring to using it on the rear axle nut also!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I believe he was referring to using it on the rear axle nut also!
    OH NO! I am not that ham-fisted. If I was, I'd be working at a Spyder dealer's shop.

Spyder Garage

Nope, I was referring to the oil change. Unless you're stuck with circumstances out of your control I believe in using the right tool for the right job. Channelock pliers on soft plastic in my opinion is not the right tool, but hey, if it works for you, rock on.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I ground the teeth/ridges off of a cheap set of channel locks, won't mar the cap.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Nope, I was referring to the oil change. Unless you're stuck with circumstances out of your control I believe in using the right tool for the right job. Channelock pliers on soft plastic in my opinion is not the right tool, but hey, if it works for you, rock on.
    I have to correct myself.....The oil change was months ago and now I recall I loosened and tightened the filter cap with a 36mm open end, then turned it with the channel locks. So you were justified in chiding me. All's well now.

Spyder Garage

I have to correct myself.....The oil change was months ago and now I recall I loosened and tightened the filter cap with a 36mm open end, then turned it with the channel locks. So you were justified in chiding me. All's well now.
    +1 on the Channel Locks. That is what I have always used. Used them on the Harley Oil Filters too. The filter is not supposed to be so tight it would scar it all up to use Channel Locks. Can't see it if you got the panels on anyway. If it does get a little bit marked up, that is nothing that can't be cured with some left over Krylon.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver