Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Drink fluids at every opportunity, even if you hafta 'force' yourself to take in more fluids - ie, 'force fluids'!
    Yeah, but, how does that make you not want to pee when the heat gets to you?

Another important technique is to force fluids before you start. Once the heat gets you, you won't have to stop and pee!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Yeah, but, how does that make you not want to pee when the heat gets to you?

Another important technique is to force fluids before you start. Once the heat gets you, you won't have to stop and pee!
    Once you get hot enough to start sweating all that 'extra forced hydration' you took onboard out again, even if it's too hot to be doing any worthwhile cooling as you sweat, your body simply won't be letting you pee that precious liquid out!!

However, be warned, cos that is one of the early warning signs of over-heating.... when you stop needing to pee, it's waaayyy past time to be re-hydrating AND cooling down!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Once you get hot enough to start sweating all that 'extra forced hydration' you took onboard out again, even if it's too hot to be doing any worthwhile cooling as you sweat, your body simply won't be letting you pee that precious liquid out!!

However, be warned, cos that is one of the early warning signs of over-heating.... when you stop needing to pee, it's waaayyy past time to be re-hydrating AND cooling down!
    That's what I thought too. So, I guess he was just being facetious about the no pee thing....
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's what I thought too. So, I guess he was just being facetious about the no pee thing....
    Utah,

I don't understand what Peter is saying, usually I do, but let's forget for a moment we are talking high heat conditions. Under normal conditions, you'll find that drinking half your body weight in ounces (every day) is beneficial. That means if you weigh 200#, you should be drinking 100 ounces thru out the day. That will keep your metabolism up, and helps with not gaining weight, like so many people do as they get older. The problem is, you don't find that many people who drink half their body weight in ounces, under normal conditions. Add heat into the equation, and now you have an even bigger problem. Someone may have already said it, don't ride between 11 AM and 3 PM on those very, very moisture sucking hot days.

I did see one post on here where someone does probably drink half is body weight in ounces.

By the way, this half your body weight in ounces I'm talking about, it's not drinking it all at once, but thru out the day. If you try to drink it in a short period of time, you can run into other issues, like maybe dying.

Peter,

Did you mean, by chance, that the kidneys will shut down during heat stroke?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post

Peter,

Did you mean, by chance, that the kidneys will shut down during heat stroke?
    It's not only the kidneys shutting down, it's also a whole lot of other fairly important stuff!

If you are at the 'still sweating' stage and still able to pee, but starting getting a headache &/or nausea, dizziness, feeling faint, etc, then you should be SIPPING water while you rest & cool down, preferably out of the sun!

But if those symptoms last for more than an hour, get worse, or you start throwing up, then it's PAST time to act! And certainly once you get to the 'no longer sweating &/or pee-ing' stage, then you are REALLY NOT WELL & things are NOT GOOD in your body, so it's time to stop drinking, move to a cooler spot, try to bring your body temps down with cool cloths &/or a cool bath, and if you/whoever is not feeling great with any &/or all of those previously mentioned signs & symptoms, ie headache, nausea, dizziness, fainting, et al, then call 911 immediately!!

No kidding people, over-heating CAN & DOES KILL!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!