Thread: Tires looks low

Spyder Garage

Default Tires looks low

I just put on some Q5's on my 2020 RTL. I can say the drive is much better in the corners. My question is at 16.5 psi they look very low. I have checked and both tires are holding just fine at that PSI but damn they look low. Is this normal at this PSI

Spyder Garage

I've been running my Q5s at 18.5 front and 19.5 rear. I have a '20 RT Base model with Elkas & BR sway bar. That works very well for me and I corner pretty hard. I'm not looking for a plush ride so lower PSI feels sloppy to me.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Felt the same way Doc. But, if you back off and look at them you will notice they are not really bulging on the bottom. First walk up and looking down makes you wonder tho.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
    I just put on some Q5's on my 2020 RTL. I can say the drive is much better in the corners. My question is at 16.5 psi they look very low. I have checked and both tires are holding just fine at that PSI but damn they look low. Is this normal at this PSI
    You CANNOT go by the 'look' of a radial tire, especially one like the Q5's - looks can be very deceiving! With these types of car tires, their very construction means that they'll bulge the sidewalls at the contact patch a tad more than you might be used to; but it's that bulge, their radial construction, and the lower pressure (especially vs those in the more common 'bias ply' tires that many motorcycles still run) that keeps more of their designed contact patch firmly planted on the road providing the traction you need! And without a tire pressure gauge of some sort, most of the time no-one can tell just by 'looking' at a radial tire how correct the pressure inside it may be for the load it's carrying.... well, not unless the rim is obviously contacting the ground, anyway!

If you DON'T see a bulge like that on the sidewalls of a similarly constructed radial car tire, there's a good chance that tire might be over-inflated - but as I mentioned earlier... without that tire pressure gauge, looks can be very deceiving - and as you now know, even WITH a tire pressure gauge, the way the sidewalls bulge (or not ) can also be very misleading! Those 'looks' can be almost as deceiving as a 'butt dyno'!! Many who've become used to the 'feel' of running on over-inflated tires might 'feel' that their Spyder/Ryker 'feels' a bit soft & spongy when they first try running the 'much closer to correct for the load' pressures that we've been suggesting here, but unless they & their load weigh in at something over about 600 pounds, it's very unlikely that anything between 16psi & a max of 20 psi is likely to be too low for a 'real' auto tire on a Spyder with a higher load rating than that of the OE Spec Kendas (even 8 psi didn't result in truly adverse effects when run in a 'real' tire, but that was a bit low! ); so given a little persistence & saddle time, those things you've already started to notice, like the advantages of the improved traction, ride, & handling; the greater traction under all conditions; the reduced tendency for hydroplaning in the wet; the greater puncture resistance, and the reduced 'centre of tread wear' that comes with running those recommended 'lower pressures commensurate with the lighter loading' that makes the tire look under-inflated will usually overcome the ingrained expectation for less traction, harsher ride, & greater tire wear that the 'looks' or 'butt dyno' biased by any serious length of time that running pressures too high for the load might bring!

Over to you!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-18-2021 at 10:54 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You CANNOT go by the 'look' of a radial tire, especially one like the Q5's - looks can be very deceiving! With these types of car tires, their very construction means that they'll bulge the sidewalls at the contact patch a tad more than you might be used to; but it's that bulge, their radial construction, and the lower pressure (especially vs those in the more common 'bias ply' tires that many motorcycles still run) that keeps more of their designed contact patch firmly planted on the road providing the traction you need! And without a tire pressure gauge of some sort, most of the time no-one can tell just by 'looking' at a radial tire how correct the pressure inside it may be for the load it's carrying.... well, not unless the rim is obviously contacting the ground, anyway!

If you DON'T see a bulge like that on the sidewalls of a similarly constructed radial car tire, there's a good chance that tire might be over-inflated - but as I mentioned earlier... without that tire pressure gauge, looks can be very deceiving - and as you now know, even WITH a tire pressure gauge, the way the sidewalls bulge (or not ) can also be very misleading! Those 'looks' can be almost as deceiving as a 'butt dyno'!! Many who've become used to the 'feel' of running on over-inflated tires might 'feel' that their Spyder/Ryker 'feels' a bit soft & spongy when they first try running the 'much closer to correct for the load' pressures that we've been suggesting here, but unless they & their load weigh in at something over about 600 pounds, it's very unlikely that anything between 16psi & a max of 20 psi is likely to be too low for a 'real' auto tire on a Spyder with a higher load rating than that of the OE Spec Kendas (even 8 psi didn't result in truly adverse effects when run in a 'real' tire, but that was a bit low! ); so given a little persistence & saddle time, those things you've already started to notice, like the advantages of the improved traction, ride, & handling; the greater traction under all conditions; the reduced tendency for hydroplaning in the wet; the greater puncture resistance, and the reduced 'centre of tread wear' that comes with running those recommended 'lower pressures commensurate with the lighter loading' that makes the tire look under-inflated will usually overcome the ingrained expectation for less traction, harsher ride, & greater tire wear that the 'looks' or 'butt dyno' biased by any serious length of time that running pressures too high for the load might bring!

Over to you!

.... 110% ..... Peter you beat me to it today .... Thanks .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-18-2021 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)