Spyder Garage

Cool DPS out- any concerns to ride?

2010 SPYDER RT 31,000 miles. - So my 2nd DPS has failed and check engine lamp has been on for over 500 miles, only issue I've noticed is a little (not bad) hard to steer when just starting to move. When riding, no issues at all.
    Is there ANY reason to be concerned if I continue to ride like this, I mean who needs power steering anyway?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jekvall View Post
    2010 SPYDER RT 31,000 miles. - So my 2nd DPS has failed and check engine lamp has been on for over 500 miles, only issue I've noticed is a little (not bad) hard to steer when just starting to move. When riding, no issues at all.
    Is there ANY reason to be concerned if I continue to ride like this, I mean who needs power steering anyway?
    One of the issues ( as reported here by others ) is it can be in-consistent in function.... ie.,what happens when you steer may change abruptly .... if the DPS was by a Dealer repair, I would report it to that dealer ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Biggest concern is if it all of sudden decides to work & will be in exaggerated fashion already on second one dealer BRP cares ticket

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Hey jekvall, what dealer do you use if any? I do my own work, but the guys in Jackson, Ohio do pretty good work.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I just had the DPS replaced on my 2008 GS (4th one). BRP has made several upgrades to these over the years.

1st one was DOA from the factory. (1st Gen)
    2nd one lasted about 1 year. (1st Gen)
    3rd one lasted about 10 years. (2nd Gen)

The only one that gave me trouble (beyond the obvious hard steering at slower speeds) was #2. It would take control of steering and send me off at an angle. I'm not Arnold Schwarzenegger, but I don't think even he could have made the Spyder go straight when the DPS (at random) took over the steering. Fortunately, each time it happened, it was only a few degrees of off angle and I had enough room to wait it out. It usually only lasted for 10 seconds or so. Still, traveling at 70 mph, 10 seconds can create quite a bit of movement.

I think BRP eliminated the DPS"s agility to take over the steering with the 2nd generation DPS. So, unless you have a 1st generation unit, this should no longer be a concern. However, I do believe you run the risk of going into Limp Mode. Though I think this unlikely.

I thought, as you do, that my dead DPS was not that big a deal. I've been riding it that way for about a year. But when I got it fixed about 2 weeks ago. I was very impressed with how much difference it made. It operates up to about 45 mph on a diminishing basis (hence the 'Dynamic' part of the name). And is much appreciated by this rider.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-19-2021 at 01:22 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I'm new to the Spyder and havn't had any dealer work. Im very electro/mechanical and do all of my own typically. Just replaced the rear shock, not a bad job. I've owned BRP products (Seadoos) for over 30 years. The gent I purchased my 2010 from used Jackson I'm pretty sure.

Spyder Garage

I'm new to the Spyder and havn't had any dealer work. Im very electro/mechanical and do all of my own typically. Just replaced the rear shock, not a bad job. I've owned BRP products (Seadoos) for over 30 years. The gent I purchased my 2010 from used Jackson I'm pretty sure.
    You can, of course, replace the DPS yourself. But you have to have BUDS to complete the install. I just didn't have the time. With my luck, I'd get it torn down and not get back to it for weeks! I just wanted it operational, so I bit the bullet and had it done. If you decide to get a new DPS, let me know. I should be able to save you some money on the purchase.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You can, of course, replace the DPS yourself. But you have to have BUDS to complete the install. I just didn't have the time. With my luck, I'd get it torn down and not get back to it for weeks! I just wanted it operational, so I bit the bullet and had it done. If you decide to get a new DPS, let me know. I should be able to save you some money on the purchase.
    I'm working on getting my BUDS and 10 yr license.

Spyder Garage

Please let me know your price for the DPS. I will soon have BUDS and 10 yr license.

Spyder Garage

Please let me know your price for the DPS. I will soon have BUDS and 10 yr license.
    I sent you a PM. Have not heard back. Just checking to be sure you received it.

Spyder Garage

Sorry, havent been on here, my daughter got married and work took me out of town for a week. I replied to your PM 7/7/21

Thanks,

Jon

Spyder Garage

Hi mate", yeah I can relate to what you said here. I am riding my RT with DPS light on and have been doing so for nearly a year. Hard to steer at low speed, but OK at highway speed, although sometimes I think is this what it was like before LOL. I am getting my DPS replaced, x2 new front tyres fitted, new front disc brake pads, brake fluid changed, and wheel alignment in October or November this year. I can't wait to feel the difference,

Regards Peter