Spyder Garage

Default How to remove the Shift Clutch assembly RT 2011

I am wondering if there is anyone in this group that is very familiar with the inside of the 998 engine/transmission. I changed the oil today and found a small circular piece of metal on the sump magnet, it looks like it is from the shift clutch assembly. where can I find how to remove the shift clutch assembly.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Thanks

ring shift clutch.jpg

Spyder Garage

What diameter is it? Hate to say it it looks a lot like a cir clip on a piston, holding a ris pin in! But you said it was on the magnet, so it can't be that, I would guess!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    What diameter is it? Hate to say it it looks a lot like a cir clip on a piston, holding a ris pin in! But you said it was on the magnet, so it can't be that, I would guess!!
    I am ordering a wrist pin clip so you can compare but you think it’s the clip off the end of the clutch shaft.

Not sure how to get at the clip in the attached picture, #3. Any ideas?

Spyder Garage

Also to me, it looks like the criclip (part No. 6 in Picture).
    As you can see in the attached picture, the piston pin is smaler than the piston.
    When the clip breakes, the broken peaces should be able to pass the gap between the piston pin and the cylinder and fall down towards the crankshaft.
    Down there in the sump it could be caught by the magnet on the drain plug.

Do you know, if there maybe allready was a repair done (maybe many years ago), from which this part could be left, so it is not from a current problem?

Regards
    Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

In looking at the picture that looks like an internal circlip where the clutch shows external circlips and much bigger. I think you have a broken wrist pin retainer there. Time for a top end rebuild.
    If you want to do this yourself and if neither the clip nor the pin has scored the wall,I would replace all 4 clips,new rings,new cross hatch on the walls,clean off top of pistons,and have a valve job done. After that I would sell it and get something else. Lots of low mileage VTwins around and cheap.
    Actually as I think about it keep it for parts and buy another 2011.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I think if it were a wrist pin circlip it would have seized the engine as it has no way out other than between the piston and cylinder wall, which doesn’t afford the space to drop that clip without mangling it.
    2012 Spyder RTS
    Arizona