Spyder Garage

Default Trip odometer not working (temporarily)...

2016 STS...16k+ miles...just had a 14k service done about a month ago.

Went out for a group ryde today, and at my first fuel-up, I reset my Trip A odometer, as usual.
    About 2 miles down the road I noticed it was still on zero! I flipped to Trip B and this was working properly, so I reset this one and kept it on the display.
    About 60 miles later was our next fuel-up stop. A mile or so down the road, I checked Trip A again, and it was clocking properly.
    Both Trip A and Trip B continued to work properly, with a 60-mile difference, for the remainder of the trip, including another fuel-up 100 miles later.

It seems like this was just a temporary "glitch".
    About a year ago, my cruise control stopped working for a day or two, but has been fine since.
    I guess these are just some random 'ghost in the machine' type issues, but if anyone has a reasonable explanation, I'd love to hear it.
    Thanks!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, first of all, it is possible to PAUSE the trip meters.

However, even if you accidentally did pause it, I think you would know if you enabled it again.

Just saying!
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post

However, even if you accidentally did pause it, I think you would know if you enabled it again.

Just saying!
    ? ? ? ?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

And if you try to set your cruse at anything lower than 45 it will bock and not want to set! And if you have a weak brake peddle return spring and the peddle bounces just enough to get into the safety switch it will cancel out, don't ask me how I know that tid bit!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post

Just saying!
    How do you pause it?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    And if you try to set your cruse at anything lower than 45 it will bock and not want to set! And if you have a weak brake peddle return spring and the peddle bounces just enough to get into the safety switch it will cancel out, don't ask me how I know that tid bit!!
    mph
    I have a road that is several miles long with no stop signs or traffic signals. The speed limit is 25 mph. I always set my cruise for 25-30 mph on that strip with no problem. I have a 2014 RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    And if you try to set your cruse at anything lower than 45 it will bock and not want to set! .....
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    mph
    ....... I always set my cruise for 25-30 mph on that strip with no problem. I have a 2014 RT.
    Don't really know what it might've been that stopped your cruise control working a year or so back, Raprider; but cruise control won't set if your engine revs are too low for whatever gear you happen to be in/the road speed you happen to be travelling at... So if you are in saaay, something like 5th or 6th gear travelling at only 45 mph, your engine revs are likely too low for that speed and it's no wonder cruise won't set; but if you are in 2nd or maybe even 3rd gear doing 25mph, your engine revs will be somewhat higher in relation to the given road speed, so cruise will probably set fine!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-17-2021 at 08:00 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The 998's have a pause/resume feature on the trip meters.

When the button shows "pause" it is working. When the button shows "resume" it is in pause. Sounds like you hit the wrong setting. Been there, done that myself.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Me to!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Me too. There are a number of things on Spyder readouts that appear backwards with regard to what they actually do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    The 998's have a pause/resume feature on the trip meters.

When the button shows "pause" it is working. When the button shows "resume" it is in pause. Sounds like you hit the wrong setting. Been there, done that myself.
    Thanks, ARTraveler!
    I've never noticed this before and will take a look next time I'm ryding...maybe later today!
    Raprider (Rich)

BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Don't really know what it might've been that stopped your cruise control working a year or so back, Raprider; but cruise control won't set if your engine revs are too low for whatever gear you happen to be in/the road speed you happen to be travelling at... So if you are in saaay, something like 5th or 6th gear travelling at only 45 mph, your engine revs are likely too low for that speed and it's no wonder cruise won't set; but if you are in 2nd or maybe even 3rd gear doing 25mph, your engine revs will be somewhat higher in relation to the given road speed, so cruise will probably set fine!
    Thanks, Peter!
    I have had no problems since, and often set my cruise as low as 29mph, but the low rev situation may be relevant.
    Happily, it was a brief issue for a day or two and has not recurred since.
    Raprider (Rich)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    How do you pause it?
    NOT SURE for a 2019 with new gauge cluster. but on 2015 RTL, left - right arrows on handlebar toggle trip A/B. up - down arrows,,,,,,,down erases miles / hrs info. up pauses the trip from recording miles / hrs. 2019 with that joy stick would be something similiar
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    NOT SURE for a 2019 with new gauge cluster. but on 2015 RTL, left - right arrows on handlebar toggle trip A/B. up - down arrows,,,,,,,down erases miles / hrs info. up pauses the trip from recording miles / hrs. 2019 with that joy stick would be something similiar
    On the 2019 pushing up on the joy stick makes the one you are on the primary to be displayed on the left side of the display.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Thanks, ARTraveler!
    I've never noticed this before and will take a look next time I'm ryding...maybe later today!

"Pause" found...yeah, I must have pushed the Up arrow in addition to the Right arrow (reset)...
    Thanks
    Raprider (Rich)