Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This has been posted many times but I'll put it up once more. This is the proper air chuck that has the correct angle to inflate the rear tire of the difficult to access rear tire valve stem.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

There are many brands of this chuck available for purchase. You can purchase it as a stand alone item or with a gauge, whichever you choose. ALL gauges vary in pressure reading by 2,3 and as much as 5 psi. Obviously the more you pay for a gauge the more accurate and reliable it should be. But, that is not always the case. Together the wear pattern of your tire's tread and the tire's performance will give you an indication of the proper psi you should be using. Adjusting for driver/passenger weight and desired performance the general consensus, using car tires, is around 17 to 20 psi, whichever you choose. As far as I know, the problem of standing on your head in order to air up your rear tire can only be solved with a very expensive motorcycle lift. Here's wishing you good luck with that dam difficult valve stem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RideOn View Post
    For what it's worth, I find checking the pressure on the rear tire of my RT to be a breeze compared to the RoadGlide I used to own. Between saddlebags, fender, shocks, exhaust pipes and the position of the tire valve in the wheel, nothing about it was easy. Always ended up on the floor to actually reach the valve, and many times had to roll the bike around just to find the valve stem.
    i use to put my RoadGlide on the lift to check tire pressure, as you said it was a PITA

Spyder Garage

I have 2 other large air compressors in my shop, but hardly ever use them to air up tires. Got a small 115 volt compressor that has the air gauge right there on the top of the compressor. Weighs maybe 5 pounds and has a carrying handle on top. I put a short hose on it, with a clip on connector for the valve stem. On the Spyder, I can just roll up side of it with one of the shop stools, clip the hose on, the use the switch on the small compressor to stop it when the air pressure is correct. Un-clip the hose and no need to do any checking with unreliable air gauges. Since getting the small compressor, I have started using it to air up the mower tires, truck tires, and tires on anything that comes up to the shop. Easiest job ever with the right equipment. No putting in air and then losing some trying to check how much you got. Clip it on, pump it up,by the gauge, and cut the compressor off. Best of all there is no dragging 50 feet of coiled up air hose out. All I need is a short extension cord to get the air to the job.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I haven't found any compressors with built-in gauges that are accurate enough in the low pressure range for airing up Spyder tires.

That includes pancake compressors and battery-powered Ryobis.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 01-31-2023 at 08:50 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only ones I know of are the small battery powered ones the size of a handheld drill, and their psi readings can vary a little to a lot. I found a small angled digital gauge that reads out at .5 psi increments. This is my go to tire pressure gauge for my spyder. Just how precisely accurate it is, hell I don't exactly know. But, it's close and easy to use. I start by overfilling first and then let out air until everything is evenly pressured.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 01-31-2023 at 04:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

Honestly, I don't have any problem checking/adding air in my rear tire, but I can still get up and down pretty easy.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Honestly, I don't have any problem checking/adding air in my rear tire, but I can still get up and down pretty easy.
    Yes, it’s those last 10 words that make the difference, K80. I had no real issues accessing the rear valve when I first moved to Spyders in 2016, but as the knees degenerate, it becomes a right pain.

Pere
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yes, it’s those last 10 words that make the difference, K80. I had no real issues accessing the rear valve when I first moved to Spyders in 2016, but as the knees degenerate, it becomes a right pain.

Pere
    I must admit Pere, I know exactly what you mean. I preset objects in my work area which makes crawling around and getting up off the floor much less troublesome. I start out with a plush throw rug and then to work my way upright I use a small stool and so on that will make the process easier. Also, a warm cup of coffee and a clean warm place to work helps a lot. I make sure all the tools and parts I need are placed on the floor and accessible. The hell of it is that I always forget something and I still have to get up and down a half dozen times more than I'd planned on. Good luck down under.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I must admit Pere, I know exactly what you mean. I preset objects in my work area which makes crawling around and getting up off the floor much less troublesome. I start out with a plush throw rug and then to work my way upright I use a small stool and so on that will make the process easier. Also, a warm cup of coffee and a clean warm place to work helps a lot. I make sure all the tools and parts I need are placed on the floor and accessible. The hell of it is that I always forget something and I still have to get up and down a half dozen times more than I'd planned on. Good luck down under.
    Thanks 2dogs……yep, that’s nearly exactly my routine too…….and just like you, I get the knee pad, stool and chair ready, along with all the tools down on the ground where I’m working…….except for the ones I invariably forget about. …….. aaaaaargh.

I might have a go at rear wheel removal myself soon (did it on the 16 F3-L) as I can’t find anyone to remove the wheel and replace the tyre with aftermarket, and I really don’t like having the stock Kenda on there. However, I will make sure I am doing it while my official “forgotten tool” fetcher is at home ….. having said that though, I may decide it is simply too hard these days, and get my trusted Spyder tech to replace the Kenda with a Kenda Kanine, which are certainly better than stock.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have my new rear tire sitting right next to my RT. I think I'll take my ride to the dealership and have them replace the rear tire. If I know myself, I'd do something stupid and put myself out of commission for several months. It just ain't worth it these days.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    If you think airing the rear tire (2021RTL) is difficult--it's even worse if you screw up like I did and place the drive sprocket back on with one of the wheel spokes over the air valve. Takes a little more fanegling but I can still do it with a flex hose gauge that clips on.
    2021 Spyder RTL Red, 2022 Kawasaki Z 400

Spyder Garage

I took mine to work the other day and was checking the air in the tires and filled the fronts .. went to the rear and could not even find the valve stem. Shrugged and drove it anyway. Will probably have to locate it sooner or later.

2017 Spyder RTL

Mods
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    Mesh Intake covers
    LED Skidplate
    LED Headlights and Foglights
    TricLED Dual Color LED A-Arm Running Light Strips with Blinker
    12V Cell Phone / GPS Docking Station with Dual USB Charge Ports
    Quick detatch backrest
    Show Chrome RT Trunk Rack
    Show Chrome Short Spiral Radio Antenna
    Custom Airbrushed paint with ghost flames

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RULINGCHAOS View Post
    I took mine to work the other day and was checking the air in the tires and filled the fronts .. went to the rear and could not even find the valve stem. Shrugged and drove it anyway. Will probably have to locate it sooner or later.
    Read post # 61 above ..... Mike ..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arkyleo View Post
    If you think airing the rear tire (2021RTL) is difficult--it's even worse if you screw up like I did and place the drive sprocket back on with one of the wheel spokes over the air valve. Takes a little more fanegling but I can still do it with a flex hose gauge that clips on.
    I like to work on all my vehicles myself.
    I do that because I enjoy it, saves me a couple of $$ , I know absolutely no silly short cuts have been preformed and the work is completed to a high standard.

Sometimes I have to revisit my work as I have made an error and have to remedy it.
    No real problem. I just learn from it.

I'm also sure its easy to place the rear wheel assembly back together incorrectly so it makes access to the tyre pressure valve even more difficult or impossible to access.

As is revisiting your work remedying that error . Not a biggie.

Tyre pressures are important and need to be correct for all sorts of reasons.....

As for checking the pressures prior to riding, especially if left parked for a long period of time is mandatory.

Im retired with a somewhat beat up body, nursing some older permanent injuries and dont bend like I used to. But I dont take shortcuts there.

Spyder Garage

Imma try the Costco tire pump method, with auto shut off. I use a trailer valve extender/chuck I got at WalMart. We'll see...
    Last edited by linguine; 02-22-2023 at 05:34 PM. Reason: misspelling
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

Costco has recently been installing nitrogen tire filling stations in the parking lots free for their members to use. There are two Costco locations in my area but only one has this new service so far. I’ve used it on my car and am waiting for the weather to improve before returning there with my Spyders. The nitrogen filling station has a built in digital pressure gauge and a quick connect to attach to the valve. The valve works kind of like an air hose coupling and is very helpful. I will bring a tire valve core removal tool with me to drain the existing air from my tires there and do a complete nitrogen replacement. Nitrogen tire fills are highly recommended. If there is no Costco in your area check with your local car dealer service department as many have this equipment. Check www.nitrofillus.com for further information. They have an area map where you can add your zip code and find a local provider of this service.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    Costco has recently been installing nitrogen tire filling stations in the parking lots free for their members to use. There are two Costco locations in my area but only one has this new service so far. I’ve used it on my car and am waiting for the weather to improve before returning there with my Spyders. The nitrogen filling station has a built in digital pressure gauge and a quick connect to attach to the valve. The valve works kind of like an air hose coupling and is very helpful. I will bring a tire valve core removal tool with me to drain the existing air from my tires there and do a complete nitrogen replacement. Nitrogen tire fills are highly recommended. If there is no Costco in your area check with your local car dealer service department as many have this equipment. Check www.nitrofillus.com for further information. They have an area map where you can add your zip code and find a local provider of this service.
    While nitrogen can be a good thing in tires, not all nitrogen generating equipment supplies a pure enuff form to be usable when it it not maintained. And most places are very subpar in that respect. Also, letting the air out one time and then refilling does not raise the nitrogen level to the desired level. Hard to measure the nitrogen level but very easy to measure the O2 level. What I have seen after filling once the O2 level falls to between 15 to 18 percent. That's not enuff to be effective. If you really want to get a good level of nitrogen find somebody using bottles. Hopefully our local Costco will install the equipment and I can test it out.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I swear by putting Nitrogen in all my tires, bike, car, truck, pushbike, wheelchair - you name it, I've got Nitrogen in it.... well, about 78% Nitrogen anyway!

Btw, Air is mostly gas & 'the gas' is mainly Nitrogen - here's a quote from the NASA Global Climate Change website - https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2491/1...ngs-about-air/ -

Air is all around us, but we can’t see it. So what is air, exactly? It’s a mixture of different gases. The air in Earth’s atmosphere is made up of approximately 78 percent Nitrogen and 21 percent Oxygen. Air also has small amounts of other gases, too, such as Carbon Dioxide, Neon, and Hydrogen.
    Unless you frequently fly your Spyder/Ryker at high altitude &/or subject it to temperature changes varying between about -40 C & +50 C, then you're fooling yourself if you think you are getting any real benefit (except for maybe a lighter wallet! ) from paying to put the stuff they're calling 'Nitrogen' that comes outta those Costco or similar devices!! And even if you do subject your Spyder/Ryker to those altitudes/temperature extremes, I seriously doubt you'll ever see any true benefit from running said 'Nitrogen' in your tires instead of plain old 'Air' But it is your money, and it's your Spyder/Ryker too!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I seriously doubt you'll ever see any true benefit from running said 'Nitrogen' in your tires instead of plain old 'Air' But it is your money, and it's your Spyder/Ryker too!
    And the ridiculous money being charged for that quick deflate/inflate is why I will wait to see if Costco installs a "free" nitrogen station. Then I will test again. My gut tells me the O2 level needs to drop to less than 3% for the nitrogen to be effective. While I would prefer it to be less than that I have not seen one of the nitrogen generators in common that are that capable.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    And the ridiculous money being charged for that quick deflate/inflate is why I will wait to see if Costco installs a "free" nitrogen station. Then I will test again. My gut tells me the O2 level needs to drop to less than 3% for the nitrogen to be effective. While I would prefer it to be less than that I have not seen one of the nitrogen generators in common that are that capable.
    The more I learn about nitrogen tire fills now after a deep dive on the subject this evening the more I think and feel like somebody has been dry humping our legs all along. I would not suggest to anyone to spend any money on someone to provide you this service no matter the source. This is a cash grab set up for you to return to the tire dealer and be a repeat customer. Free is one thing from Costco but understand you are not getting any benefit worthy of the drive there unless you like getting their hot dog and Coke for lunch.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    The more I learn about nitrogen tire fills now after a deep dive on the subject this evening the more I think and feel like somebody has been dry humping our legs all along. I would not suggest to anyone to spend any money on someone to provide you this service no matter the source. This is a cash grab set up for you to return to the tire dealer and be a repeat customer. Free is one thing from Costco but understand you are not getting any benefit worthy of the drive there unless you like getting their hot dog and Coke for lunch.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

P.T. Barnum comes to mind here.

Spyder Garage

Those are the ones I meant. Costco just 5 blocks north of me.
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

all i can ''now'' say on this subject is my knees and back thank me for FOBO.

now life is easy,,,, real easy, just open the app

Spyder Garage

Me I check the air in my tires when I do my spring wake up! Oil change, tire presure, fluid checks, battery check, air in my air bag, wash and wax, and ride on down the road! I keep a eye on my belt tension, and how my tires look through the season, but I do not check them every ride, don't see the sense in it, when I first started riding this thing you guys had me worryed, so I was checking the heck out of my tires, and you know what I came up with? The only thing causing a big air lose was me checking my tires!! Yes, it will go up and down with the temperature changes, and it will go up and down with the heat of the road. But, have to ask everyone. how many of you guys check your tire pressure every time you leave your door yard with your car? I am sorry guy's I'll get off my soap box on this one, Ride more, worry less!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl