Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    ...but getting that valve in the right place for access seems most difficult. What am I missing on that?
    If you have a level garage floor or driveway simply put a 2X4 wooden block 24" or so behind the rear wheel, stand on the left side of the roadster, turn on the ignition switch, release the parking brake and pull the Spyder backward. Watch the rear wheel turn until you see the valve stem appear and stop the vehicle somewhere between 4 and 5 o'clock as you look at the rear wheel from the left side of the vehicle. You may have to adjust the position of the block but be certain to reset the parking brake before you do so.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, the knee thing. I wear knee pads, have the wife watch as I move machine until the valve is in the proper position, then get it done. It's all about adapting to the situation. I find there's very little change from one month to the next, so it is not a big problem, just an irritation, but the world is full of irritations. :>)

Spyder Garage

I find there's very little change from one month to the next...
    On my two wheeled bikes I was in the habit of checking the tire pressure before every ride as the tires do tend to lose air over time, it is just a safety thing especially when a tire issue is a big deal on two wheels.

I found it was a real hassle to check the air pressure on the rear Spyder tire before a ride and being new to Spyders I thought they likely lost air the same as any other motorcycle. So I read on this form that someone bought a TPMS system and if the app shows the correct air pressure they were good to go. I thought that sounded like a good idea so I bought the FOBO system and have not regretted it one little bit.

I’ve learned from having the FOBO that these tires are more like car tires (hmmm imagine that, LOL!) and therefore do not seem to lose air like all my bike tires did/do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfrog View Post
    I will install the 90 degree valve stem when it come time to change the back tire the front are no issue.
    This, is what I did very early in owning our Spyder. High quality brass ones are available at bicycle shops for less than $2 at most shops. Being rated for over 100psi for bicycles, you do not have to worry about them being sufficient for the low pressures in Spyder tires.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    This, is what I did very early in owning our Spyder. High quality brass ones are available at bicycle shops for less than $2 at most shops. Being rated for over 100psi for bicycles, you do not have to worry about them being sufficient for the low pressures in Spyder tires.
    I also have 90 / 87 degree stems .... however I didn't use the OEM hole .... I drilled new holes on the disc side of the wheel where it's flat ..... I'd love to see a pic of the 90 stem in the OEM hole ..... which way is that stem pointed ???? .... Mike

Spyder Garage

here ya go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I overfill it pound or two and bleed it down to the pressure I want with the gauge AFTER removing the extension.
    This is the way to do this. No guessing, although I’m sure the other ways all work too.
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, my system as well, doesn't mean it's the 'right way', just my way.

Spyder Garage

I was going to add a better set of pictures to my previous post, but the page said I didn't have permission to do that. So, here is a collage of two shots. One from sort of behind and above as you might see as you approach from behind to check pressure. The other from almost directly above the stem. There is about a half inch clearance between the stem and the drive pulley. I've had it this way for about 3.5 years and 7500 miles. It loses maybe 1 or 2psi per month mostly in the winter, so pretty similar to all of my cars and bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

here ya go.
    OK thanks ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Since the sprocket and wheel rotate as an assembly, if it doesn't touch it never will ......that pic gives a better perspective ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-21-2021 at 01:57 AM. Reason: perspective ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcalva View Post
    We agree that finding the valve on the rear wheel is a pain in the ass.
    I changed the inflation pump connections from the original thread to one piece with a trigger that is so easy to put on and take off. It makes it easy to maneuver without air leakage when disassembling.

Yeah, I use the same type, and the end of my air hose has a lever on it. Release the lever and the gauge on it indicates the pressure. Has a button to let some pressure out too. No standing on my head to adjust pressure or taking the hose loose to check it with a gauge. Just clip the hose on and set the pressure, then un-clip it and put the cap back on. Easy as pie. I used the same type of air hose when I worked at a service station way back in BJS. ( Before Jiffy Stores)
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

CruisinTX....Is that a screw on 90* extension, or a permanent install?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

90° extension. most good bicycle shops carry them. I used a wrap of Teflon plumbing tape to make sure there would be minimal leakage through the threads. Has worked fine since installation.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So, here is a collage of two shots. One from sort of behind and above as you might see as you approach from behind to check pressure. The other from almost directly above the stem. There is about a half inch clearance between the stem and the drive pulley.

I've had it this way for about 3.5 years and 7500 miles. It loses maybe 1 or 2psi per month mostly in the winter, so pretty similar to all of my cars and bikes.
    That's what I do. Jaco
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerTank View Post
    Hey Motogordo,

I installed this: https://www.lamonstergarage.com/fobo...f-3-lamonster/ on my 2021 RT Limited and it's great. I can see my tire pressures anytime I want. It has alerts built in to warn me if any of the tires get low. I'm super happy with it.

Best of luck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    1+ on the Jaco, here's a link, money well spent, should have purchased one years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Al in Kazoo
    From my experience the FOBO system is great ...... when it works, which is unfortunately sporadically. Great idea, but not worth the headache in my opinion. I just put new batteries in my 2 year old sensors and the sensors are "undetectable"....I give up!

I think that I'll try the Jaco with a 90 degree extender for the rear tire. Are those extenders available at BICYCLE shops or at MOTORCYCLE shops? (What was meant by "Bike" shops?)
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    1+ on the Jaco, here's a link, money well spent, should have purchased one years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Al in Kazoo
    Received mine in the mail today. So out to the garage I went. Checked the Spyder, the Riding Mower and the 2 wheel bikes. Love this item. Makes airing that rear tire a breeze now, other than getting down on the floor. You're right, I should have bought one of these years ago. Thanks for the link!

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    From my experience the FOBO system is great ...... when it works, which is unfortunately sporadically. Great idea, but not worth the headache in my opinion. I just put new batteries in my 2 year old sensors and the sensors are "undetectable"....I give up!

I think that I'll try the Jaco with a 90 degree extender for the rear tire. Are those extenders available at BICYCLE shops or at MOTORCYCLE shops? (What was meant by "Bike" shops?)
    90° extension. most good bicycle shops carry them. I used a wrap of Teflon plumbing tape to make sure there would be minimal leakage through the threads. Has worked fine since installation.
    . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I thought about doing that also. I had two sets of ramps and sold both of them figuring I wasn't going to buy another cycle. Surprise....LOL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    I thought about doing that also. I had two sets of ramps and sold both of them figuring I wasn't going to buy another cycle. Surprise....LOL
    . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Agree, getting to that rear tire valve is a bear no matter what tire inflation device you use. BRP sure wasn't thinking of the 'senior' rider on this one. Would a 90 degree valve stem have been helpful, of course, wonder why those m/c tire 'engineers' didn't think of that? It is what it is, so we adapt, much like many other situations in our society that's difficult and shouldn't be.
    You mean like this?

ILOVA 90 Degree Tyre Valve Extension Adaptor for Car Motorcycle Bike Scooter 2 Pack Universal Extenders https://a.co/d/5w0p7FX
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaniBoy View Post
    You mean like this?

ILOVA 90 Degree Tyre Valve Extension Adaptor for Car Motorcycle Bike Scooter 2 Pack Universal Extenders https://a.co/d/5w0p7FX
    I have looked at those and others ( from Kurvey girl ) ..... I honestly don't see how adding this to REAR wheel OEM valve stem solves the access issue. ..... Back in 2010 at my first rear tire change on my GS, ( to a car tire ) I decided to Improve the rear valve access. .... So after dis-mounting the rear tire I Drilled a new whole in the center of the rear wheel and put in one from Kurvey Girl....( an 87 degree motorcycle valve ) .... I positioned the stem towards the Disc side of the wheel ..... This is improved access tremendously ..... Yes you have to be careful of a Hot tailpipe, but it's not Rocket science ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have poor contrast vision. Which means it's hard for me to pick out a dark object from an equally dark background. So it's sometimes difficult for me to spot where/when the rear tire valve stem is in the right position to get to. So I used some yellow paint and painted a thin line on the inside of the wheel directly in line with the valve stem. It's much easier for me to see the bright yellow against the dark background. At least it works for me.

As a side note I also ordered the JACO Air Pro digital pressure. I just wish there was some way to connect it directly to a portable air compressor so I could check, add and bleed air as needed all in one step.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I was going to add a better set of pictures to my previous post, but the page said I didn't have permission to do that. So, here is a collage of two shots. One from sort of behind and above as you might see as you approach from behind to check pressure. The other from almost directly above the stem. There is about a half inch clearance between the stem and the drive pulley. I've had it this way for about 3.5 years and 7500 miles. It loses maybe 1 or 2psi per month mostly in the winter, so pretty similar to all of my cars and bikes.
    I ordered some of these off Amazon. I think they are a good solution to the problem.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I have poor contrast vision. Which means it's hard for me to pick out a dark object from an equally dark background. So it's sometimes difficult for me to spot where/when the rear tire valve stem is in the right position to get to. So I used some yellow paint and painted a thin line on the inside of the wheel directly in line with the valve stem. It's much easier for me to see the bright yellow against the dark background. At least it works for me.

As a side note I also ordered the JACO Air Pro digital pressure. I just wish there was some way to connect it directly to a portable air compressor so I could check, add and bleed air as needed all in one step.
    I have eliminated some of the issues with FOBO and a battery operated preset pump, Greg. Doesn’t solve “contrast vision”, but you have addressed that anyway.

FOBO means I only have to get at the valve when the pressure is showing as being down, and the preset PSI means I only have to remove FOBO, which I can do from a stool, fasten pump, press go, remove pump, reinstall KOBO. Getting the valve stem to 4 0’clock or so is still the most time consuming part of the process. Sure FOBO may not be super accurate, but I can live with being out one psi or so (that is the max difference that has shown when some mates have tested with their digital gauges).

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red