Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Hate putting air in rear tire.....Hate it.

June, 16, 2021

I love my 2021 RT-S2S, BUT I hate getting down on the garage floor and putting air in the tire and checking it with the different air guages. It seems as though every time I go to put air in the tire I hear all kinds of air leaking, sometimes no matter which way I position the end.
    Can you use the valve extensions when putting in air and then remove it before going out ? Will you lose a small amount of air when you unscrew the extension ? If that is the case then maybe I should put in a bit extra to allow for the escaped air when removing the extension. I presume I can do the same with the front tires, even though they are a little better.

Motogordo
    Last edited by Motogordo; 06-16-2021 at 10:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

Hey Motogordo,

I installed this: https://www.lamonstergarage.com/fobo...f-3-lamonster/ on my 2021 RT Limited and it's great. I can see my tire pressures anytime I want. It has alerts built in to warn me if any of the tires get low. I'm super happy with it.

Best of luck!!
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic / Chrome

Spyder Garage

I do the "little extra" on all my motorcycle tries quite often. If I want 25 psi I will often add 26 and then if it loses a bit so be it. The most important part is having an accurate gauge.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I find I get a better seal if I wet my finger and apply the moisture to the end of the valve stem. Better yet, Slime sells a "no air loss" gauge. I have one and it saves a lot of frustration.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

There is really no need now to use a separate pressure gauge. There are plenty of compressor/gauge devices available. With mine I set the pressure I want, screw on the hose, and press the button. When the pump stops, unscrew and I am done. Loss during unscrewing in not an issue. You could set it for 0.5 psi extra if you want. Here is the one I use because it operates on 110 as well as 12v.

https://smile.amazon.com/Kensun-Elec...s%2C218&sr=8-6
    Thunder's just the noise. Lightning does the work.

Spyder Garage

I use a plain old bicycle floor pump, my tire gauge and the extension critter in the ink. Yes, it's a Harley accessory but it works bloody well. If my tire needs air I overfill it pound or two and bleed it down to the pressure I want with the gauge AFTER removing the extension.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...on;sp_cs=UTF-8
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerTank View Post
    Hey Motogordo,

I installed this: https://www.lamonstergarage.com/fobo...f-3-lamonster/ on my 2021 RT Limited and it's great. I can see my tire pressures anytime I want. It has alerts built in to warn me if any of the tires get low.
    +1 on the Fobo system - Love It!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjweber45 View Post
    There is really no need now to use a separate pressure gauge. There are plenty of compressor/gauge devices available. With mine I set the pressure I want, screw on the hose, and press the button. When the pump stops, unscrew and I am done. Loss during unscrewing in not an issue. You could set it for 0.5 psi extra if you want. Here is the one I use because it operates on 110 as well as 12v.

https://smile.amazon.com/Kensun-Elec...s%2C218&sr=8-6
    For $80 bucks, I'll wet the valve stem.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Tyre pressure, is surely important, but heey, if it's 1.50 or 1.55, you ain't going to tell any diffrence, in the behaviour of the spyder...
    ps, I check mine every time, when I get gas, have also an airlossless 12v pump, worry less, ride more...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth, I find checking the pressure on the rear tire of my RT to be a breeze compared to the RoadGlide I used to own. Between saddlebags, fender, shocks, exhaust pipes and the position of the tire valve in the wheel, nothing about it was easy. Always ended up on the floor to actually reach the valve, and many times had to roll the bike around just to find the valve stem.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

When I swap my rear tire, I'm adding an internal TPMS valve stem facing the exhaust pipe. Blueknight911 has a thread somewhere on this forum if you are interested in details.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I will install the 90 degree valve stem when it come time to change the back tire the front are no issue.
    2021 Sea to Sky , cyclops light, front fender light/turn signal, rear run/brake/ turn signal LED strip, BRP floor board light Green

Spyder Garage

I do not find that my pressure changes that much, not enough to check it every time I ride!! I look at them every ride, but check when I change oil!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    June, 16, 2021

I love my 2021 RT-S2S, BUT I hate getting down on the garage floor and putting air in the tire and checking it with the different air guages. It seems as though every time I go to put air in the tire I hear all kinds of air leaking, sometimes no matter which way I position the end.
    Can you use the valve extensions when putting in air and then remove it before going out ? Will you lose a small amount of air when you unscrew the extension ? If that is the case then maybe I should put in a bit extra to allow for the escaped air when removing the extension. I presume I can do the same with the front tires, even though they are a little better.

Motogordo
    I use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    And this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

makes checking and airing up (if necessary) much easier
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I find if I get the valve stem pointing to the rear of the trike it is very easy to check pressure and put air in it if necessary.

Spyder Garage

JACO Flow Pro digital tire inflator, $39.90 from Amazon; I should have bought one long ago. Very flexible braided hose that you just push onto the Schrader valve and a button that you push and it pops off with no air loss. If you happen to over inflate, it has a bleeder valve to bleed down to your desired pressure. Works great on the F3 and the Harley. Lifetime guarantee.

Spyder Garage

Default hate airing rear tire

1+ on the Jaco, here's a link, money well spent, should have purchased one years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

We agree that finding the valve on the rear wheel is a pain in the ass.
    I changed the inflation pump connections from the original thread to one piece with a trigger that is so easy to put on and take off. It makes it easy to maneuver without air leakage when disassembling.

Captura.jpg
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    1+ on the Jaco, here's a link, money well spent, should have purchased one years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Al in Kazoo
    Tha'ts on my xmass list!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Count me as another fan of the FOBO TPMS. What I’ve learned by using the FOBO is that these rims do not lose much pressure over time like my two wheeled bikes do. So easy to check your pressure by just looking at an app on your phone. Also knowing it will warn you if the pressure exceeds or goes below your preset pressure amounts takes the worry out which is worth the price of admission for me.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    June, 16, 2021

Motogordo
    ... BRP made it difficult to do .... soooooooooooooooooo with my first rear tire change ( to auto tire ) I also put a metal Mtc. Schrader valve of the Brake disc side ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agree, getting to that rear tire valve is a bear no matter what tire inflation device you use. BRP sure wasn't thinking of the 'senior' rider on this one. Would a 90 degree valve stem have been helpful, of course, wonder why those m/c tire 'engineers' didn't think of that? It is what it is, so we adapt, much like many other situations in our society that's difficult and shouldn't be.

Spyder Garage

I Guys

To check the rear tire pressure, I mount it on a car ramp.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I understand the car ramp, I thought of that as well, but getting that valve in the right place for access seems most difficult. What am I missing on that?

Spyder Garage

I Bikerbillone

My wife watches the valve, sometimes takes her once or twice and even once three. I can hardly kneel down anymore; I built 11-inch-high ramps, with a stopper at the end.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac