Spyder Garage

Default Hill Hold Control on 2021 RTs ???

In the spec sheet for the 2021 RTs (RT, RTL, S2S) in the section on "Safety and Security" it mentions Hill Hold Control. I cannot find anything about it in the owner's manual, two dealerships did not know anything about it, nor did one of the representatives at the RT On-Road Experience I attended. Can anyone provide any information on this illusive feature?

Does it exist on the 2021 RTs as stated in the spec sheet?
    If so, how is it manually engaged and disengaged?
    If it's something that happens automatically then under what conditions does it engage and disengage (maybe some sensor exceeding a pre-determined slope or angle of the Spyder)?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Allegedly, if you're stopped on a hill more than 5° (8°? 10°?), once you hit the brake, the bike will hold until you give it gas. I said "allegedly". It doesn't appear I have that feature on my 2021 RT. I've stopped on hills that have been steep enough it would be difficult to walk on and the bike just rolled back.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-21-2023 at 07:52 PM. Reason: °

Spyder Garage

One part of my driveway is about 12 degree slope and I had the same experience, put on the brake then let it off and the bike just rolled backwards.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Allegedly, if you're stopped on a hill more than 5° (8°? 10°?), once you hit the brake, the bike will hold until you give it gas. I said "allegedly". It doesn't appear I have that feature on my 2021 RT. I've stopped on hills that have been steep enough it would be difficult to walk on and the bike just rolled back.

There is NO manual engagement/disengagement capability for the Hill Hold facility, but like those above, I thought that while this 'Hill Hold' thing works only on hills of a greater slope than whatever the spec is as mentioned above, it also only applies the brake for just ONE SECOND after you take your foot off the brake pedal, supposedly in order to give you time to get on the gas... . So it's really just a quite short delay in releasing the brake application, something most will never notice cos it's so short and for all intents and purposes, effectively useless & nothing more than a sales gimmick.....

To me, while it might be a handy feature in a car where you might want to take your right foot off the brake pedal in order to swap it over and start pressing on the gas pedal instead, this isn't really all that useful on a Spyder or a Ryker, or any other motorcycle/vehicle with a foot brake and a hand throttle for that matter?!? . Surely you're not really going to be in a position to need to take your foot off the brake pedal before you can begin using your right hand to start twisting the throttle & applying gas, are you?? Or am I just confused, and using both the foot brake & the throttle at the same time to fully control my Spyder is completely the wrong thing to do??

That said, while I haven't had a heap of exposure to these latest Spyders, I do think the Hill Hold facility does actually exist - it's just not really all that helpful or even truly useful on a Spyder....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-21-2023 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    ...... it also only applies the brake for just ONE SECOND after you take your foot off the brake pedal, supposedly in order to give you time to get on the gas... . ...
    If that's how it works then I'd have to agree it's a gimmick not a feature since your foot is on the brake and your hand is on the throttle. On my BMW 1200GS it can be useful since it holds you on the hill without having your right foot or right hand on the brake until you start releasing the clutch (although with right foot on brake and good clutch control practice you can do pretty well starting on a hill). Next time I come up my steep driveway I'll test out the "hold for one second" idea just to satisfy my curiosity.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-14-2021 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

There is no mention of it in my 2020 RT Owners Manual and after almost 5000 miles of riding, I have never noticed any hill hold and I have been on some very steep inclines in the mountains.

I would say that it does not exist on my bike or if it does have it, it is of no value whatsoever.

Spyder Garage

My f150 and rav4 does the same, hold for and extra sec or two. (f150)I like it when I'm towing a camper it does help.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

I will test it on the 4 21’s I have on the trailer. Ann has not noticed it, but, I believe I have. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

On my 2015 RAM 3500 it work really well. No time delay, it held until you advanced the throttle. If was introduced on the 2019 Spyders. Which makes me wonder if the software updates to my 2018 activated it. I will have to play around with it. Seems on the loading ramps to the trailer it would be an useful feature.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I tested this today on our steep driveway. Yep, come to a full stop, let off the brake, and it holds nicely long enough for you to give it gas and move on. This is on a two month-old 21 RTL.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

HHC in spec sheet.JPG

Here's the portion of the spec sheet for a 2021 that lists the hill hold control.

Spyder Garage

My 2021 RTL has it and it works as expected. My 2019 RTL had it also. I don't think it a gimmick many vehicles have it. Some people will find it very useful and others won't. If you are towing a trailer I could see it being very helpful.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I reached out to Can AM ON Road on FB and received the following:
    Can-Am On-Road

Hi John! Hill Hold Control records and stores the brake pressure, holds the vehicle stationary on the slope and enables moving off after releasing the brake. Rolling backwards is prevented for about two seconds after the brake has been released. Hope this answers your question!

Spyder Garage

Yes, we have it on the 4 2021 RT’s we have on the demo tour. Two things: got to be in a forward gear, and only prevents rolling backwards. Does nothing in reverse, or going forward. Thanks for bringing it up!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system