Spyder Garage

Default Garmin Zumo GPS where to mount?

For those of you who've added the Zumo GPS, where did you decide to mount it?

Also, how daunting is it to self-install? I'm not too mechanical and not confident to do the wiring correctly...though I assume asking the dealer to add it would be expensive!

To clarify I have the 2021 Spyder RT Limited. The GPS is the Garmin Zumo XT.
    Last edited by ToddSims; 06-14-2021 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Adding clarity to my question.

Spyder Garage

Which Zumo and Spyder would help.

My 396 (wish I had an XT) is mounted with a short RAM arm to a RAM ball mounted in one of the handlebar clamp bolt positions. The short arm connects to a RAM ball mount on the Garmin cradle.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

It can be mounted on handlebars with RAM mount or using one of the mounts from the vendors here. The 12v power is located on the right side in front of the brake reservoir.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

i moved mine factory installed at handlebars, up to dash 2015 RTL. much safer i think, to only look at dash rather than lower on handlebars. they are posts here telling so, but not for 2020 / 2021 models. would be similar
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

This past spring I mounted a Garmin 396 on my wife's 2021 Sea to Sky using, as I recall, Lamonster's bar center mounting bracket and some RAM bits I had in my parts box. It's the same mounting method as the Garmin 396 I mounted on my 2015 RT-S and it's served me well for quite a while.

My "how to" for the 2021 RTL can be found here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...40#post1573540 Post #15 has the detailed description and photos. It might seem difficult but it isn't really complicated, it's mostly time consuming, I will readily confess I'm not an expert although I enjoy trying to do things myself and haven't (so far) had any unfortunate or fatal results on any of the three Spyders we've owned over the years.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Thanks Arion - I'll check it out!

Spyder Garage

I used a handlebar ram mount with a short extension and positioned my Garmin XT so it sits evenly over the center of the handlebars. It is perfect. I use a Kradellock to lock the GPS mount and RAM extension. The Kradellock is very well made and very secure. I run the power wire to the stock GPS plug on the right side. You can get an adapter from Lamonster that is plug and play for the stock GPS plug that gives you 2 accessory connections. Good luck!
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I installed the BRP mount.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

IMHO Lamonster´s mount is good cause the place it occupies is not used at all and does not disturb the view of the control panel.

The screws coming with the mount does not fit throug the rubber parts on the xt contact part so I used the originals from Garmin but cutting them 7 mm aprox and adding some blue Loctite.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ToddSims View Post
    For those of you who've added the Zumo GPS, where did you decide to mount it?

Also, how daunting is it to self-install? I'm not too mechanical and not confident to do the wiring correctly...though I assume asking the dealer to add it would be expensive!

To clarify I have the 2021 Spyder RT Limited. The GPS is the Garmin Zumo XT.
    I used the Docking Station from Slingmods, it has 2 USB ports on left and cigarette plug on the right. Plugged into GPS accessory plug down on right side. Just make sure you tell them it's for a 21, there is an extra wire you use on the harness for reverse polarity. Run the GPS wire down along side the Docking station wire and use positaps to connect the gps wire to the harness from docking station.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    i moved mine factory installed at handlebars, up to dash 2015 RTL. much safer i think, to only look at dash rather than lower on handlebars. they are posts here telling so, but not for 2020 / 2021 models. would be similar
    How did you route the power cable from the dash?

Thanks,

Spyder Garage

I used the mounting hardware that came with the XT. The dealer mounted it and wired it at no charge before I picked up the RTL. Seems to be a good location and I don’t have to look down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 Spyder RTL- dark trim
    1969 Plymouth Barracuda 340-S Fastback
    1969 Barracuda, 6.1 Hemi restomod, convertible
    1970 Plymouth Superbird, 440-6bbl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Word of caution. GPS units in cars have caused serious damage when left exposed to the sun.

Spyder Garage

I use the handle bar clamp mount from lamonster put it right we're I whated it easy to install just one adjustment solid as a rock works great for me

Spyder Garage

I use the BRP mount with my Zumo XT.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey