Thread: Tire Pressure

Spyder Garage

Spyder Tire Pressure

Hello,

I put two car tires on the front of the Spyder RT. Was wondering if you keep the same PSI as you would the original tires, which I think is around 20, or do you put the PSI as according to whats on the side of the tire that you put on it. Was just wondering.
    Thanks, Lois

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lois35 View Post
    Hello,

I put two car tires on the front of the Spyder RT. Was wondering if you keep the same PSI as you would the original tires, which I think is around 20, or do you put the PSI as according to whats on the side of the tire that you put on it. Was just wondering.
    Thanks, Lois
    The tire pressure on the sidewall is the MAXIMUM that the tire can be used at.... Peter and I have learned ( from science ) that any Auto tire used on any Spyder works best at 15 to 17 psi Front and 18-19 psi rear.. Auto tires are constructed more robustly so higher Air pressures are not needed. ... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I weigh 180, ride solo almost all the time and run 15 in my Federal EVO front tires.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The manual for the RT calls for 28 rear. What is your experience with 18-19 rear? That is 10 lbs less. They recommend 20 on the fronts and I can understand the lower pressure there. I've been running 18 fronts but may go to the 15-17 you recommend. I have OEM rear tire and Q5s on the front. Just wondering about the rear tire pressure that much lower? Leaving on a 2,000 mile trip next week. Thnx.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    The manual for the RT calls for 28 rear. What is your experience with 18-19 rear? That is 10 lbs less. They recommend 20 on the fronts and I can understand the lower pressure there. I've been running 18 fronts but may go to the 15-17 you recommend. I have OEM rear tire and Q5s on the front. Just wondering about the rear tire pressure that much lower? Leaving on a 2,000 mile trip next week. Thnx.
    If I read Mike's post correctly he recommended 18-19 psi at the rear if using an auto tire. OEM rear tire pressures you mentioned are appropriate.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Ok that makes sense.

Spyder Garage

The OE Spec Kenda tires really NEED those recommended pressures - they are constructed in much the same way as any other Passenger car tire, only a fair bit lighter, so if you run much less than maybe a pound or so less than the recommended 28 psi in your rear Kenda, you WILL be compromising your tire and your safety as well as the safety of other road users!

With the Passenger car tires you've fitted, you can run lower pressures up front because those tires don't need or want as much air inside them to work properly due to their stronger construction & higher load capability; but until/unless you toss the OE Spec Kenda on the rear & fit a car tire, you are going to need to run the recommended pressure back there! Some who still run a Kenda back there fall into the trap of running a lower pressure in an effort to reduce the rapid wear rate in the centre of the tread that's usually such a feature of the OE spec Kenda rear tires, but that only moves the load & stresses from the middle of the tire to the outer edges and the sidewalls - sidewalls that are already somewhat weaker & more flexible than those of most car tires, so that increases the heat generation and can compromise their integrity and ability to work properly & safely, risking catastrophic failure, especially if you are riding at high speeds/longer distances! So really, that's DEFINITELY NOT something you want to do when you are heading off on a long trip!

So please, stick with the recommended pressures for the OE Spec Kenda tire/s while they are on your Spyder (or Ryker), and when you get rid of the Kendas and fit proper Passenger car tires onto the Passenger car rims that are fitted onto your Spyder/Ryker, ONLY THEN should you drop your tire pressures to those suggested in Mike's post #2
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

with Peter - it all depends on the type of tire you have ... Auto vs. Crapenda .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-14-2021 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

I run 20 on my General Altimax RT 43 215/60R 15.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I run 20 on my General Altimax RT 43 215/60R 15.
    Jay try going down to 18 psi and then go on a bumpy road ( like washboard if you can find some ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How many miles do you have on your OEM rear tire?

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Kenda Rear Tire

I got about 14K on my crummy First OEM tire (a Kenda).
    I ran it with 25psi and mostly one up.

Going to try and find a place that will install the tires of my choice.

Hope all is well ..............with you.........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I run car tires front & rear with 18lbs front and 28lbs rear. No issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mhopkins2 View Post
    I run car tires front & rear with 18lbs front and 28lbs rear. No issues.
    " no issues " .... 28lbs for an Auto tire is `10lbs. to high. I'm not guessing about this ... Tire science says it .... On a wet road your rear tire will LOSE traction much sooner than the fronts .... with any luck the " Nanny " will save your Butt. .... In the Dry 28 lbs. is giving you a very Harsh ride compared to what `18lbs. would give. ... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-15-2021 at 07:04 PM. Reason: with any luck ;-)

Spyder Garage

So for the Kanines, I should run 28psi for the rear and 18psi in the front?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    How many miles do you have on your OEM rear tire?
    Only have 3,000 on the rear OEM. Since my dealer won't install anything else, perhaps even Lamonster, I will wait to see the opinions on the K9s and probably go with that for the rear when the time comes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only have 3,000 on the rear OEM. Since my dealer won't install anything else, perhaps even Lamonster, I will wait to see the opinions on the K9s and probably go with that for the rear when the time comes.
    The reason I asked was if you had 5K or 6K on your OEM rear tire you might not finish a 2K trip without having to replace your tire before your trip was over. My OEM tire was done gone at 7K and should have been replaced before that. They go away fast. With only 3K you should be good. Have a safe/fun trip.

Spyder Garage

Nice to know, thanks.