Spyder Garage

Default How to remove the Garmin mount from my 2013 RT Ltd?

I'm not a fan of the Garmin, and I don't want to pay for the lifetime update to keep the maps current. How hard is it to remove the mount and wiring harness? Does anyone have any advice on the process?
    2013 RT Ltd , White with a wrap

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You don't have to pay for the updated maps. To take the mount off you would need to take panels off and disconnect wires and disconnect the mount from handle bars and dissemble the Garmin mount to disconnct the wires inside Ect. before you can get the wire through the handle bars. Some take the handle Bars apart. If you don't use it I would just leave it. It's not costing you anything and the bike is worth more with it on.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I’ve never had to pay for updates on Garmin Maps. I get two free updates a year for all of mine Garmin’s.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    I’ve never had to pay for updates on Garmin Maps. I get two free updates a year for all of mine Garmin’s.
    I don't know now, but before you could buy Garmins with lifetime map maintenance or not and the price depending on it. The models were e.g. 660 LT or 590 LT with lifetime maps and 660 and 590 without maps.
    BRP here in Europe sold the RT Ltd with Garmin 660 but with the "lifetime" cartography of the United States, so if you wanted to use the Garmin you had to pay for new maps of Europe that could no longer be lifetime.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

I had a "Lifetime" Garmin once upon a time. If you don't update it regularly, then you'll get a message about not being able to updated anymore because they figure the unit was out of life cycle or some such. It was a few years ago, but annoying nonetheless.

My '14 RTS came with a GPS mount, but no GPS. After a while I got tired of looking at the mount so I pulled it. You'll probably need to replace the plastic cap in the center of the bars where the cable goes through as well as getting shorter screws for where the mount connects to the bars. I pulled one of the shorter ones and went to a hardware store and got two stainless button cap screws. You'll need to pull the side panels as well, the connection goes fairly far back, but is pretty easy to follow and disconnect.

Still have that mount laying around somewhere. Can't tell which model GPS it fits.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Hm. I bought my bike used. No clue about free updates.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chebber View Post
    Hm. I bought my bike used. No clue about free updates.
    Take the battery cover off the back of the 660 and look at the model name. If it has "LM" at the end, it's Lifetime Maps. Log on to Garmin's website and update.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

No such luck. Thanks anyway.