Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Wife wants a Spyder, need some advice on any auto trans problems?

So ,I Am new to this forum and don't own a spyder(yet) I ride a harley touring bike , & the wife would like her own bike. She tried a regular motorcycle, but could not get the hang of the clutch. So several ladies that ride with our group suggested a spyder with semi-auto tranny.
    Which brings me to my question, I'm looking at 2010 to 2015 spyders with the auto trans, what are some common issues/problems I need to be aware of. I usually wrench on my vehicles myself, unless it's a super in depth, so minor problems won't scare me off.
    Thanks in advance and ride safe !!!

Spyder Garage

I would stay with a 2015 or newer with the new 3 cyl engine and the SE transmission.
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

What motoguzziman said - I second that. I'm 84 and do all my own wrenching on my F3L. Not that hard if you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle. And this forum is a wealth of good info.
    Before you plunk your money down, have her try the various models. For starters, you sit differently in each one. I bought an F3L because you sit lower and the ergonomics are more adjustable to suit me. Also, the F3 is a lot easier to work on due to far fewer Tupperware panels. But let her try and decide - nothing worse than an uncomfortable bike.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Hi The best course of action is to have her take the Can Am riders course. This way she will try all the models and will get the motorcycle license. Good luck.
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

agree, with the above, if she wants a cruiser, RT sits higher, if she likes a sportier bike an f3, with a 1330 engine en semi auto shifter, also comes to mind a new ryker, this is a full auto transmission.
    that she could get new from the dealer, for the price of an f3 or rt, from 2015... but try before you buy, cause they are three diffrent animals...

It all depends, on how she's going to use it.... there is lotsa info here on the forum...
    This is free advise, no guarantees
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree with the other two responses, other than the 3 cyl. debuted in 2014, not ‘15. I ride a ‘14 RTS and love it. As mentioned above...TEST RIDE, TEST RIDE, TEST RIDE the different models, including the Ryker. All depends on your wife’s comfort needs/wants as well as the planed usage (local only, touring, overnighting).

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Looks like you've gotten all the advice I was prepared to share except the need to test her strength and stamina on a Spyder. Like you and your wife, mine never really got the hang of a two wheel machine. It wasn't so much the clutch and shifting; she did that pretty well. Her problem was the mental attitude to not ride in fear all the time. So, we test rode a friend's RT Limited, but he only let us ride around a big parking lot at the lake where we live for about 5 minutes each. She really liked it and we started our search here on SL. It wasn't long before we found one and made a deal. The problem came when we discovered her upper body strength and stamina wasn't sufficient to drive for more than about an hour. That relegates us to using just the Spyder for rides over an hour where she starts out in the driver's seat and I get to sit back, relax and take pictures; which I don't mind. But then I have to take over to finish what-ever route we had planned. That prevents us from taking separate vehicles which is what the original plan was. All that said, before you pull the trigger on a purchase, she needs to put herself to the test with some longer rides; possibly rent or borrow one for at least a half day or more.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

CruisinTX makes a very good point - riding a Spyder ain't for weaklings. Unlike a 2 wheeler, where you are essentially passive, except for some gentle counter steering, riding a Spyder is VERY physical. It's like riding an ATV or snowmobile; you have to lean into the turn, pushing down on the outside leg, while pulling and pushing on the handlebars. After a day's ride, I have "Spyder muscles," they hurt so good!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

That is what makes the spyder, the need to work the machine,but when you cruise, the spyder isn't anymore demanding as 2wheeler. I for myself love the way the spyder makes you "work"
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

If it's just a "how to handle a clutch" issue that your wife has and isn't sold on a 3-wheeler, you might have her consider the Honda Rebel 1100 with DCT along with the Spyder. That's what I would buy if I didn't have the Spyder (I've been spoiled not riding with a clutch the past few years). As others have said, I wouldn't go with a Spyder that didn't have 1330 engine and personally I'd broaden that search between 2015-2017 at least for the RTs if you're on a budget.

If your wife has concerns about handling a Spyder, there are a number of female Spyder groups online (including Facebook) that could answer your wife's questions. Many of the women I know have had little issue with handling the Spyders but some (men and women) have found a need for some preferred mods to make the Spyder more comfortable. For instance the new 20/21 Spyder RT is much larger than previous years and shorter people (like me) are finding they need to bring the handlebar a little closer and some are even raising the floor boards.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

If you think a Spyder is VERY physical you have never ridden a Harley Trike. If I hadn't gotten the Spyder I would have quit riding all together. After a short ride on the HD my shoulders ached from having to muscle it through the turns. But yes the Spyder is definitely more work than two wheels

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    CruisinTX makes a very good point - riding a Spyder ain't for weaklings. Unlike a 2 wheeler, where you are essentially passive, except for some gentle counter steering, riding a Spyder is VERY physical. It's like riding an ATV or snowmobile; you have to lean into the turn, pushing down on the outside leg, while pulling and pushing on the handlebars. After a day's ride, I have "Spyder muscles," they hurt so good!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Al View Post
    Hi The best course of action is to have her take the Can Am riders course. This way she will try all the models and will get the motorcycle license. Good luck.
    Unfortunately, there is no spyder training course local, closest class is 3 hours away during the week. She took the motorcycle traing class and passed with flying colors and has a motorcycle endorsement.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kajundude View Post
    So ,I Am new to this forum and don't own a spyder(yet) I ride a harley touring bike , & the wife would like her own bike. She tried a regular motorcycle, but could not get the hang of the clutch. So several ladies that ride with our group suggested a spyder with semi-auto tranny.
    Which brings me to my question, I'm looking at 2010 to 2015 spyders with the auto trans, what are some common issues/problems I need to be aware of. I usually wrench on my vehicles myself, unless it's a super in depth, so minor problems won't scare me off.
    Thanks in advance and ride safe !!!
    You should introduce Her the female Spyder owners you know .... also consider the Ryker it's Spyder with an R .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi! What they said.
    Also, I will chime in with the ladies point of view. I am on my 3rd Spyder, over 60,000 cumulative miles. Started with 2012 RTL (I liked the 'throatier' sound of the 998 engine), traded up to a 2016 RTL with floor boards. I liked the floor boards over the pegs. Just traded up to 2021 RTL. I have about 700 miles on it so far. Love the ride. I like the longer floorboards to stretch the legs when riding. I am 5'7" and find the reach works for me. We've done a lot of long distance riding on our Spyders. (Hubby traded last year fro a 2010RTSM5 to a 2020 RTL)- From home(Mitchell SD) to Washington state; Oklahoma(Ft Sill) several times. Big Horns/Yellowstone in Wyoming. Many (too numerous to count-our favorite place to ride) trips to the Black Hills. When taking long trips we average 300-600 miles a day sometimes; depending on destination and time line. We rode 2-up on two wheels for over 35 years. I got my motorcycle license and rode a 250cc around town but still rode 2up on Yamaha Venture on trips. I wanted to upgrade to a big bike for trips but wasn't comfortable with handling a bigger 2 wheel bike. The Spyder was a perfect fit for me-electronic shift(no clutch), I didn't have to worry about tipping it and the ride and handling are awesome. We're tired at the end of the day when we're doing long rides but a good night's rest and we're ready to go again the next day. I did try an F3 and had an F3T as a loaner last year. For me, I like the seating position and the ride of the RTL better. It's very much a personal preference and I know there are many that prefer the F3 over the RTL.
    Hope this helps.
    [SIGPIC]
    2020 RTL Petrol Metallic/Dark (his) current Ryde
    2021 RTL Deep Marsala Metallic /Chrome (hers) current Ryde

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    If you think a Spyder is VERY physical you have never ridden a Harley Trike. If I hadn't gotten the Spyder I would have quit riding all together. After a short ride on the HD my shoulders ached from having to muscle it through the turns. But yes the Spyder is definitely more work than two wheels
    I have had two Tri-Glide owners tell me they wish they had bought a Spyder. That's very telling right there.

Spyder Garage

I'd like to thank everyone for their valuable input. Looks like I need to start looking for a 2014 or newer spyder. I'm hoping I can find someone that will let her test drive a unit locally. Wish me luck !

Spyder Garage

People talking about getting tired and sore riding a Spyder. My 15 RTS made my arms a little tired because it didn't have power steering at idle. So it was harder to maneuver in parking lots. My 18 F3L has the new power steering which is easy to steer at idle. Think it came out on late 2017's. I do not get sore riding my trike and I'm 63 and not in top shape by any means. Oh to answer your question The 1330's SE semi auto is very durable. Haven't heard of many problem. I have 21k on mine and has been very reliable. The early 990 models had more issues.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I have had two Tri-Glide owners tell me they wish they had bought a Spyder. That's very telling right there.
    The Tri-Glide owners did not like their pickup truck trikes?
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kajundude View Post
    I'd like to thank everyone for their valuable input. Looks like I need to start looking for a 2014 or newer spyder. I'm hoping I can find someone that will let her test drive a unit locally. Wish me luck !
    Yes, you have the right idea. I have now had four Spyders with the V-twin, three with the 1330/3 cylinder. Only one SM5 (manual-5 speed on 998's), and all the rest the semi auto version. Performance, maintenance, and overall ride are much improved with the 1330/3. Gas mileage is low forties compared to low thirties on the 998's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

So if I decide to get a 2010 to 2014, what are some things/issues I need to be aware of with these models? I'm finding quite a few 10 to 14 year models for sale

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't buy 10 thru 13. 990 twin, poor gas mileage and more issues. Throttle body was a problem and heat issues on 13. Plus getting old and parts will be harder to find.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

The 2013's that've had the Heat Alleviation Recall done are arguably the best of the V-twin motored Spyders. Many here have done tens of thousands of miles with absolutely NO issues, many others are out there still running well with few major issues, at least once that recall stuff was sorted.... There are a fair few of them running around now with well over 100,000 miles under their tires too, so reliability doesn't seem to be a major concern for most of us, and you can save enough on the purchase to pay for a helluva lot of ryding!! IMHO, you could do a whole lot worse than get a well cared for V-Twin Spyder!

That aside, quite a few of us find the V-Twin motors to be a MUCH more exciting power plant than the lazier (altho admittedly torquier) 1330 motors too!! Personally, I find my ECU Upgraded 2013 V-Twin powered RT is a lighter, sportier, peppier, revvier, & all round more exciting ryde than any of the 1330 powered Spyders I've ridden so far (& that's quite a few! ); and since the ECU Upgrade I had done, not only can I show most of the std 1330's a clean pair of heels when working it, but when I'm cruising & not caning it hard I can also get very close to the same gas milage as most of the 1330 machines, altho due to the smaller tank (22 litres, effectively 20 usable litres vs 26 litres?!?....) I still don't get quite the same range as they do - but I reckon I get to have waaayy more fun along the way! The 'extra maintenance' isn't particularly onerous either, much of it is easily done by most home spanner-spinners; altho the V-Twins do generally use a bit of oil between scheduled changes, especially if ridden hard - but I don't really think that's such a bad thing, at least I know the oil is doing it's job!

The 2013/14/15 V-Twins have all the suspension, frame, & Brembo brake upgrades etc that the 1330 models got, only they got to keep the sportier & revvier motor too, so for many of us, they are the pick of the bunch by a country mile!! And while they are getting older now, there are still lots of bargains to be had on well maintained, relatively low milage V-Twins out there, and more than a few that will never be sold until BRP comes out with a sportier & more powerful engine in a refined but not overly pimped machine that doesn't have soo much in the way of meaningless bells & whistles & 'rider insulating devices' that do little besides isolating the rider from the 'knees in the breeze' rider & motorcycle experience!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-16-2021 at 04:09 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

What kind of riding do you and the group do, long runs, day trips, cross country? Maybe you should look at the Ryker, cheap money, cvt, twist and go, lots of fun, small point and shoot bike!! Heck you may even like the thing yourself!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

your dollar shoping

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    What kind of riding do you and the group do, long runs, day trips, cross country? Maybe you should look at the Ryker, cheap money, cvt, twist and go, lots of fun, small point and shoot bike!! Heck you may even like the thing yourself!!
    I would say more highway touring miles than around town. It will be for the wife, she has said she would like her own ride when we go on trips over night. That way she has room for her stuff .LOL. I don't need it to be a speed demon, I need easy to ride & control, and be reliable. I can do most maintenance, unless it needs computer diagnostic. I am finding that the 2010 to 14's are significantly less than 15 and newer.