Thread: New Wis plate

Spyder Garage

Default New Wis plate

Was riding yesterday and got to talking with a Slingshot driver while taking a break. This year Wisconsin came up with an autocycle plate that he now needs instead of cycle plate.So what?He now is subject to wheel tax and higher fee.Out come is about 50% higher fee and every year instead of two.Is the spyder next?I don't know what parameters they use to define "autocycle"

Spyder Garage

Sounds interesting. When I last lived in WI (2001) I thought the license plates were pretty reasonable. That was pre-Spyder of course. Now in AR, I can get all four of my plates for less than $100. There is a personal property tax though. I paid $500 for that last year.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The Slingshot is considered an "Autocycle" because it has a steering wheel, bucket seats and by all looks it looks like a three wheeled car. A Spyder, on the other hand, has handlebars, a saddle and you straddle the motor just like a two wheeled motorcycle. I doubt the Spyder will ever be classified as an autocycle.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All depends on the state to classify it as a autocycle or motorcycle.

It all depends to what is on the title. Autocycle or motorcycle. That's what plate you will get.

Spyder Garage

Overhere in the Netherlands, the goverment is considering a spyder as a car, but the IRS classifies it as a motorcycle, we get the same plate as a car, but we pay for a motorcycle... bonkers
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    Overhere in the Netherlands, the goverment is considering a spyder as a car, but the IRS classifies it as a motorcycle, we get the same plate as a car, but we pay for a motorcycle... bonkers
    Same here in Oz, we have (at least?) one State that classifies Spyders & Rykers as 'Autocycles' for registration purposes, but motorcycles for tax & insurance purposes - but they still get the motor car plate, unless the owner buys one of the custom sized alternatives!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The "Auto cycle" class kind of got started by the now failed Elio brand. Many considerations, one being: why would you wear a helmet inside an enclosed climate-controlled vehicle?

Spyder Garage

I'm from Wisconsin and I remember a few years ago there was a protest at the Madison Capital from motorcyclist about changing the slingshot and other like it to an auto cycle. There were many crashes I guess and riders were worried about driving up insurance rates on motorcycles. I guess Congress must of passed the bill.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    The "Auto cycle" class kind of got started by the now failed Elio brand. Many considerations, one being: why would you wear a helmet inside an enclosed climate-controlled vehicle?
    Close more or less it simply got “revamped” thanks to Louisiana Senator Vitter possibly many 3wheels coming to light: Elieo, Polaris , Vanderhall, the T. rex
    Significant history of 3 wheel vehicle & the term

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack