Spyder Garage

Default Why don't techs like car tires?

Twice in the last month a tech has indicated to me that the Q5s being car tires should not be on my '21 RT. One at Lamonster said only a unidirectional motorcycle tire should be on there. He said the car tires won't show wear and you'll keep them past useful life, etc. huh?

The service manager at my regular dealer noted on the 3K service report that I had car tires. It was circled on the service report. I asked about that and told him many experienced owners have not had good results with the OEM Kendas. He said well its just an internet thing, he'd heard of a cord separation, etc. I explained how many owners with years of experience and thousands of miles have made a credible argument for the car tires. Neither tech in my opinion offered any factual arguments against the Q5s or similar car tires.

Has anyone else run into this from dealers? With all the positive reports here why do techs/dealers not like them? I know some only sell and install OEMs but there seems to be some other underlying bias against car tires. Maybe it's liability for the dealer especially on warranty? I went to Q5s after a 1,000 mile and notice a positive difference.

Spyder Garage

It's the party line driven by the lawyers and because BRP cannot find another manufacturer that will produce decent tires at a reasonable price. Your retort to techs who spout the party line should be, "If owners are not supposed to use car tires why does BRP equip Spyders with J type automobile rims?"
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

An excellent point. An ingrained reflex by those who don't ride them and have a management/mfg canned response. Another case where the customer has later information than the dealer/tech, just like not knowing about the new front pulley or the idler, at least until the evidence is overwhelming. In the end it is somehow about money and lawyers.

Spyder Garage

In so many professions it seems the practitioners have sold their ____________ for the sake of the dollar. Sadly, the person you might be dealing with has just had it drilled into their heads so much that they can't see any other way.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    Twice in the last month a tech has indicated to me that the Q5s being car tires should not be on my '21 RT. One at Lamonster said only a unidirectional motorcycle tire should be on there. He said the car tires won't show wear and you'll keep them past useful life, etc. huh?

The service manager at my regular dealer noted on the 3K service report that I had car tires. It was circled on the service report. I asked about that and told him many experienced owners have not had good results with the OEM Kendas. He said well its just an internet thing, he'd heard of a cord separation, etc. I explained how many owners with years of experience and thousands of miles have made a credible argument for the car tires. Neither tech in my opinion offered any factual arguments against the Q5s or similar car tires.

Has anyone else run into this from dealers? With all the positive reports here why do techs/dealers not like them? I know some only sell and install OEMs but there seems to be some other underlying bias against car tires. Maybe it's liability for the dealer especially on warranty? I went to Q5s after a 1,000 mile and notice a positive difference.
    A while ago now, I asked my servicing dealer if, after I bought it and brought it to him, would he install the Q5 on the rear of our 2014 RTL during it's next annual service?
    His response with no hesitation was "yes". I even volunteered to pay the difference to compensate for loss of the tire sale and he said "No need. We don't work that way. As long as the tire matches the rim we are OK."
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

That's the way a dealer SHOULD work.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

It's always about the $$$$ one way or another.

I too am lucky enough to have a dealer that will install any tire you bring in. "Bring em and if they are the correct size we will install them. A little money coming in is better than no money coming in. We have installed a lot of car tires on Spyders and haven't had a complaint yet." I do my own work including mounting tires, but it's good to know I can have them mounted there if need be. When we were prepping for our trip to Nova Scotia I had too many things on my plate so I had them change the oil and filter and give the RT a once over. Cost me a whopping $167.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with the comments posters #2.- #7. have made .... Peter and I are ( sort of ) the resident experts concerning all things Tires. ... and I can say for a FACT - Nothing about Auto tires prevents their use on any Spyder ( or Ryker for that matter ) for any technical or constructive reason that I can think of. The most important thing is " do the BEADS ( tires to wheels ) match .... and they DO. Back in 09 ( my first Spyder ) I wasn't the first person here to use Auto tires, but I was the first person ( with professional training ) to strongly advocate using them ( I was soon joined by Peter Aawen, also a strong advocate ). Facts are facts and Hooey is hooey. ... Peter and I also strongly advise about the Necessity to use correct ( ie. lower ) PSI's when using Auto tires. The word " warranty " was mentioned, I was a trained accident investigator with considerable " court testimony " time, and BRP would have to PROVE that Auto tires on Spyders CAUSED a / the failure. I'm very sure they won't be able to do that - Auto tires are much better constructed than the Kenda's. So the bottom line is use Auto tires at proper PSI's if you can ...... over to you Peter .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Some additional places have been drinking to much of the BRP "kool aid." Surprised to hear the part about Lamonster Garage. They put Federals on my bikes back in 2019. The last time around, they ONLY had K9's. I put on a rear, but held off on the fronts. Now, it looks like I may have to find another tire source.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It was circled on the service report. I asked about that and told him many experienced owners have not had good results with the OEM Kendas. He said well its just an internet thing, he'd heard of a cord separation, etc. I explained how many owners with years of experience and thousands of miles have made a credible argument for the car tires. Neither tech in my opinion offered any factual arguments against the Q5s or similar car tires.

Has anyone else run into this from dealers?
    Can you provide a list of the “many riders” that have cord separation? Never heard it yet and I know many that have thousands of miles in Kendas. Well taken care of tires will perform just fine.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

One at Lamonster said only a unidirectional motorcycle tire should be on there. He said the car tires won't show wear and you'll keep them past useful life, etc. huh?

he'd heard of a cord separation, etc.
    UNBELEIVABLE amount of BS from the tech!!!! really, an uninformed and using personal beliefs tech actually
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Deleted

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Can you provide a list of the “many riders” that have cord separation? Never heard it yet and I know many that have thousands of miles in Kendas. Well taken care of tires will perform just fine.
    I'll start. Count me as one. The tires looked fine but the bike was UNRIDEABLE above 60 MPH. Scary, DANGEROUS..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Not all OEM Kendas fail. Just a disturbing number of them. Overall, they are junk. To call yourself a 'Tech' and not know this should be an embarrassment to you.

It's OK to be biased based upon fact and experience. But being biased in favor of the OEM Kendas is not rational or recommended. Take this simple test. Go out and look at how much weight it took to balance your OEM Kenda tire. Then look at at a wheel with a car tire mounted and compare the amount of weight there. You are likely to find a great deal of difference. This is a testimony to the build quality of a tire.

If you've had good luck with OEM Kenda tires. Then more power to you! Don't buy too many sets though. As your luck is sure to run out.

One thing I will say is that the new Kenda Kanines seem to be a worthy tire from all reports. Too early to call this one 'Good'. But it's getting great reports from people I trust.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-14-2021 at 07:07 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Flamewinger, have another read of Milryders comment. You are getting two separate sentences mixed up. At no stage did Milryder write that there were “many riders” that have had cord separation. He said the dealer had heard of “a” cord separation. That may indeed be the reason that you have “never heard of it yet”.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks Flamewinger, you are correct. I told the tech "many riders" with a lot of experience were using car tires. I haven't heard of any cord separations on any of the car tires, not sure about the Kendas. People here would know.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I'll start. Count me as one. The tires looked fine but the bike was UNRIDEABLE above 60 MPH. Scary, DANGEROUS..... Jim
    Depends on the condition of the tire. PSI, mounting, weights, etc. Just because one Kenda might have been mounted wrongly or lost a weight or whatever fails, doesn't mean they are crap!! People are finding they're great on 2 wheel motorcycles. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/202...ns-rubber/amp/

I have over 40K miles on Kenda OEM's and they're great! I know many that find OEM Kenda's are working out and continue to use them.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As my OEM Kenda's wear out, I'm looking to get a Knine on the rear simply because I don't want the hassle of finding someone to mount a CT. Fronts, probably not a problem to find any decent tire dealer to mount something other than a Kenda.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    A while ago now, I asked my servicing dealer if, after I bought it and brought it to him, would he install the Q5 on the rear of our 2014 RTL during it's next annual service?
    His response with no hesitation was "yes". I even volunteered to pay the difference to compensate for loss of the tire sale and he said "No need. We don't work that way. As long as the tire matches the rim we are OK."
    Pray that he never shut's his doors!!!! I am jealous as all get out, wish I lived close to you, he would be my dealer!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Not all OEM Kendas fail. Just a disturbing number of them. Overall, they are junk. To call yourself a 'Tech' and not know this should be an embarrassment to you.

It's OK to be biased based upon fact and experience. But being biased in favor of the OEM Kendas is not rational or recommended. Take this simple test. Go out and look at how much weight it took to balance your OEM Kenda tire. Then look at at a wheel with a car tire mounted and compare the amount of weight there. You are likely to find a great deal of difference. This is a testimony to the build quality of a tire.

If you've had good luck with OEM Kenda tires. Then more power to you! Don't buy too many sets though. As your luck is sure to run out.

One thing I will say is that the new Kenda Kanines seem to be a worthy tire from all reports. Too early to call this one 'Good'. But it's getting great reports from people I trust.
    Discount tire could not balance my front wheels as they did not have the correct cone. A guy was rolling out his Smart Car tire and rim grumbling the same. So with Federals installed I said OK, refund the cost of balancing, I will just give they a try. Well they run smooth with NO weights added. Tire tech did say he mounted the new tires with the colored dot mark at the valve stem.

Here is the weights on the Kenda's removed.

2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I would add that in 2005 Kenda paid me 110 dollars each to remove the 5 crappy tires they supplied for a 5th wheel trailer we purchased. They did not get named china bombs for no reason.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    As my OEM Kenda's wear out, I'm looking to get a Knine on the rear simply because I don't want the hassle of finding someone to mount a CT. Fronts, probably not a problem to find any decent tire dealer to mount something other than a Kenda.
    Dealer in Kissimmee mounts car tires. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Yep…..that’s going to be my strategy on the new RT too, bikerbill. I have a local tyre fitter who can and will mount and balance aftermarket car tyres, but based on the reasonable feedback of others regarding the Kanines, and my bad knees, I’ll be getting my dealer to do the rear. I did replace the rear once, and while it is easy for some, for me, the constant up and down was a real pain (literally )

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

It's all about the money; Krapendas are dirt cheap for BRP to obtain. They wear out quickly so the dealers get to sell the same cheap tire sooner and make more money. Car tires cost less per mile and last three or four times as long so the dealer gets less frequent fees for changing them. I have an independent tire shop close by that will mount them just like any other tire shop. All I have to do is take them the wheel to mount what-ever tire I have purchased from them. If they don't handle the tire I want, they charge me $20 to mount what I bring from somewhere else.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Deleted