Thread: using a krikit

Spyder Garage

Default using a krikit

ok i have seen people using the krikit on the top of the belt an on the bottom of the belt, i was told on my 2014 rt with it on the ground it should read 160 pounds, checking th bottom of the belt not the top , is this correct, thanks for everyones help

Spyder Garage

Personally I check mine on the top at the midway point of the belt.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    ok i have seen people using the krikit on the top of the belt an on the bottom of the belt, i was told on my 2014 rt with it on the ground it should read 160 pounds, checking th bottom of the belt not the top , is this correct, thanks for everyones help
    I also do it " on the ground " at those LBS.... with the brake on, the upper half of belt is very likely to have a little more tension than the lower half.... that's the only reason I can think of as to why it's done on top.... And the 160 reading equals what it would be if rear wheel is off the ground..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I raced my Krikit against the sonic method and had considerable difficulty getting them to agree. The sonic method seems to me more sensitive to changes and more repeatable than the Krikit. I verified the frequency measured with several different set-ups and have confidence that the frequency being measured is the correct value.

I pursued the Krikit method until my technique using it produced the same result (although with lower resolution) as the sonic method. There are problems with using the top of the belt: It's more difficult to get to the center of the belt span; It's more difficult to get the Krikit exactly parallel to the belt; It's more difficult to push squarely on the Krikit; Because you are working 'blind' (behind the body work), it's easier to bump the Krikit, changing the reading.

Testing on the bottom span of the belt eliminates all of these issues and I did indeed get the Krikit readings to duplicate the sonic readings by testing carefully there.

Incidentally, the sonic method reads exactly the same tension on the top and bottom spans of the belt.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thank you ButterSmooth

ButterSmooth -- thank you very much for publishing this information.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike