Spyder Garage

Default Radiator Bug & Debris Filters

Many here have posted about the tedious and time consuming chore of cleaning the radiators. Bugs and other debris seem to collect pretty quickly and choke off the necessary airflow for proper cooling. I wanted an inexpensive, easy to clean filter that would catch the bugs and other junk before it got to the radiator. Here’s what I came up with:

I went to our local plumbing/heating supply store in search of a washable, re-useable furnace filter. For less than $10 I purchased a piece large enough to make 2 filters for the RT and 1 for my wife’s Ryker. The filter was only available in blue, but a light coat of spray paint was all that was needed to match the machine.

The RT was the easiest to fit. I simply made a paper template to fit in front of the factory grill. Once you fit one side, the other is just the mirror image. After tracing the template onto the filter, I cut to fit with a pair of shears. The edge closest to the center of the Spyder will fit best if you back bevel the cut to fit the angle of the body where it meets the grill. After fitting, I sprayed a light coat of flat black paint on the edges and front side. Because of the reverse flow of the cooling fans, I wanted to be sure the filters didn’t blow out if the fans engaged while sitting still. I pushed a 1/4” push-pin (smaller than the standard BRP push-pin) through the material near the center where I can easily see and access it for cleaning. The factory grill holes are perfectly sized to accept the fastener anywhere in the grill.

The Ryker was a bit more involved and required carefully drilling 5 holes in the plastic grill. Again, I started by trimming the filter to fit in front of the grill while rolling both the top and bottom edges back into the grill. I drilled 3 holes into the bottom edge of the top of the grill and 1 hole on each side near the bottom. After painting to match the Ryker, I installed three 1/4” push-pins through the filter from the inside of the material into the bottom edge of the top grill rail. Then aligned and installed the 2 pins near the bottom. Finally, tucked the bottom of the filter in to the bottom of the grill to hold the bottom edge in place.

I have tested the RT in 90 degree weather with no reduction in cooling efficiency. I was amazed at how much junk the filters caught and prevented from getting to the radiators. Cleaning was easy - just remove the filter and blow out using an air hose or wash if necessary. On the Ryker, the 2 front pins can be removed, filter lifted up and cleared using the air hose from the inside. Here’s a couple of photos. You can PM me if you have questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Spyder Garage

While you report that you tested the RT, and you see no effect, I wondered how long you were riding, and what was traffic like. I would expect to see an effect in heavy traffic, and worse in bumper to bumper traffic when there is little or no air flow. Additionally, once the material gets wet, won't that further restrict the proper air flow? Of course, if you find the bike beginning to overheat, you can easily pull the material off and aid the air flow.

I'm thinking that once you spray painted the filter material you clogged many of the holes and air is not flowing as it should. In fact, I would expect even unpainted filter material would restrict the proper air flow to some degree. I am interested in longer term result, say how did the filter material perform over the summer. I hope it works as you expect.

Spyder Garage

He is not the first one to try this method, I am waiting for some feed back from them all to see how it works also!! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

2020-UP RT KOTT GRILLES, KEEPS OUT THE TRASH AND ADDS A PERFORMANCE LOOK.SPY-412-$139.50

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/2020-...als-lamonster/

This grill accessory really does work and keep the bugs out of the radiator.
    Without interfering with any heat related restrictions to airflow.
    After 3000 miles of use pulling the trailer and the wife it does keep all the critters out
    and never did I see any overheating issues. They do make one to fit the Ryker.
    Was very easy to install.

Nexus

20210319_180443.jpg

20210319_180443-001.jpg

Spyder Garage

Just a word of caution, doing these mods and seeing that the engine does not seem to overheat is only one factor.
    Reduced airflow will affect the temperatures in the engine bay etc as well. Gaskets, hoses, cable harnesses, ECUs etc all have installation requirements that the manufacturer takes into consideration, and by modifying the air flow you MAY very well cause serious issues down the line.
    Just a word of caution, everyone is free to modify, just be aware that there are risks perhaps not everyone take into consideration

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops' KOTTS Grilles are well worth the reasonable price Harvey charges and they deliver superior performance. JMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have not used the following products myself but these were recommended to me:

https://www.amazon.com/Nu-Calgon-417..._huc_item?th=1
    https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-ALL10...2QB7NGMYDA532H

My sea to sky only has 500 miles on it and planning to use this when needed. Hope it offers some other options to folks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember not all filters have good air flow.

Spyder Garage

I like your rings, looks pretty cool.
    2021 Sea to Sky , cyclops light, front fender light/turn signal, rear run/brake/ turn signal LED strip, BRP floor board light Green

Spyder Garage

I have used window screen on my motorcycle radiators since 1984. Keeps the bugs out and easy to clean or replace as needed.

2015 Red Pearl RT-S
    EXO2 heated Vest/Gloves
    BAJARONS sway bar
    TricLEDS side markers
    Xenon Depot LED Head & Fog Lights\
    Missing Belt Guard
    Bump Skid
    M2 Shocks front/rear
    Russel Day Long heated seat

Spyder Garage

This is what I use on both F3 and RT. Have had them in the Spyders for 3 years and combined milage of 50,000+.
    Flows air great and still traps a lot of debris. Cheep to replace so no need to clean them.

https://www.menards.com/main/heating...586438&ipos=13
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greven View Post
    Just a word of caution, doing these mods and seeing that the engine does not seem to overheat is only one factor.
    Reduced airflow will affect the temperatures in the engine bay etc as well. Gaskets, hoses, cable harnesses, ECUs etc all have installation requirements that the manufacturer takes into consideration, and by modifying the air flow you MAY very well cause serious issues down the line.
    Just a word of caution, everyone is free to modify, just be aware that there are risks perhaps not everyone take into consideration
    My thoughts on that is, if a older style rt don't blow up plug wire, hoses and wiring, with heat under the hood, putting a little screening across the scoops of a new style is not going to bother as long as it's a loose mesh material! And why didn't BRP see this crap coming down the road when they designed this chaise? Every time I wash my RT I have to go way up the scoops of that, for God sakes it's like a magnet for bugs and being white to boot ,it's like a CSI crime seen!! BRP should have designed a removable filter screen for us, they can't be that stupid!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    My thoughts on that is, if a older style rt don't blow up plug wire, hoses and wiring, with heat under the hood, putting a little screening across the scoops of a new style is not going to bother as long as it's a loose mesh material! And why didn't BRP see this crap coming down the road when they designed this chaise? Every time I wash my RT I have to go way up the scoops of that, for God sakes it's like a magnet for bugs and being white to boot ,it's like a CSI crime seen!! BRP should have designed a removable filter screen for us, they can't be that stupid!!
    Yeah, they can.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    This is what I use on both F3 and RT. Have had them in the Spyders for 3 years and combined milage of 50,000+.
    Flows air great and still traps a lot of debris. Cheep to replace so no need to clean them.

got any pics?
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post

This looks like the same material I used. Air flows through but the bugs and other junk don’t - as you can see on this sample that even has a light coat of paint on 1 side.
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Filter Update

I had posted last year about making filters for the RT radiators. Some on the site were concerned about overheating or lack of air flow. I’m happy to report that I just completed a 1400 mile run from central Tennessee, through Alabama, across the Florida Panhandle, and north through Georgia. Everything from interstate to stop & go through some Fla. beach communities - and NO reduction in airflow or overheating issues. Most days temps were in the low 90’s. The filters catch most all of the bugs, grass, etc.
    2022 RT-L , Silver